Skins like Curio's, but not Curio's (and am I the only one who hates painted-on eyelashes?)

Libertine Frostbite

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been wearing a Curio skin (Opaline in Blossom) for over a year, and I love it -- but it's starting to look a little dated. I noticed Curio had released their next generation skins, so I went to take a look. And they're gorgeous, I'll give you that -- but I was disappointed by two things. * The skin tones have been changed, and none of them quite match what I have (of the nearest two, one is too pale and the other is too pink) * The eyelashes are painted onto the skins (not quite enough on their own, but they don't look good with prim lashes either) I sent a notecard to the creator telling her how much I liked the new skins, asking if it would at least be possible to get the skins without the painted-on eyelashes. Her reply was, and I quote, "I guess you'll have to shop somewhere else." OK, fine, I'll shop somewhere else, then. The trouble is, I'm very happy with my avatar's overall "look", and I don't want to make any major changes -- what I really want is just the skin I have, only more realistic. I'd like to find a skin that looks as much like the Curio freckled skins as possible, with a very natural, minimal-makeup look and no painted-on eyelashes. Recommendations, anyone? And while I'm here... am I the only one who hates the painted-on eyelash thing?

I too would prefer to have skins without painted on eyelashes be a vendor option. Painted on eyelashes can look quite strange during an avatar eyeblink caught in a snapshot, or during emotes that attempt to close the avatar's eyes.

Prim eyelashes aren't for everyone. They look best when used with a skin with no painted eyelashes, with a proper fit, and with completely derendered system lashes. They can be difficult to fit properly.

The only way I found to completely derender system lashes is through the use of an avatar Alpha layer.

Keep in mind that not all skin designers might be able to place enough vendors to cover all the options a customer might want.

While I can point you in the direction of a specific skin, I can tell you that I've been in the same position as you and had to search for a long time until I could find just the right skin. I wanted to still look like me, only better... not an easy thing to do. I had to try on a whole hell of a lot of skin demos from a whole hell of a lot of creators until I found the right one.

Different skins may look great or not depending on the shape of your face, no matter how well they're made. And when you add the criteria that it needs to still look like you, which can be a highly personal thing, it gets even harder. It's much easier to shape yourself to fit a skin than the other way around, but it can be done, it just takes time and effort.

As I don't look much at women's skins, I haven't noticed the painted on lashes thing. But it doesn't make sense to me to make painted on lashes the only option. In these times, when you can add layers upon layers to your face to make yourself up the way you want, wouldn't skin creators do better to created basic no add-on skins then sell separate tattoo layers for the makeup (which is what I'd consider painted on lashes)? That would be a trend I'd like to see become more popular.

What I have noticed about some women's skins is those painted on slightly open mouths, teeth and everything... that's just ewww... creepy.

As far as freckles, I know there are places that sell freckle tattoo layers, so that could be an option if you find something suitable without the freckles. Wish I could be of more help.

Good luck... Dres

ETA a couple of other things I thought of: If you see a skin that's decent but you think to yourself it wouldn't look right, try it on anyway. The way a skin will look on the shape of the model's face will not look the same way on yours and you can't tell unless you try it. And don't be afraid to play around with the eyebrows. Different eyebrows will need different shaping to make them look they way yours did... that might make all the difference in the world.

I also love Curio skins and have worn them for the past 18 months.  What I suggest is go into edit appearance, under eyes and adjust the slider for eyelash length to zero.  Then pick up some tattoo layer lashes.  I have been wearing tattoo layer lashes for the past couple of months and will never go back to prim lashes.  Never!

I can recommend Mozz eyelashes at Kozmetika.

Om: I have zero idea where you could get a skin similar to that one, just wanted to say that the one you have right now is seriously impressive,

If I wanted the 'old white guy look' for my avatar ;) , the last thing I'd want to do is change away from that skin. If somebody does better than that one I'd be surprised.

Hi, I am not sure if I get what you are saying... "Painted on lashes"? Do you mean the eyelashes you can change in edit appearance, or painted eyelashes over/under the eyes, on the skin itself?

It was a somewhat harsh reply, but I am sure the designer behind Curio skins get so many requests, that it would be impossible to cater to all needs. The skin tone can vary so much depending upon what windlight setting the customers use, the video card and many other things.

You use a viewer that support tattoo layers, yes? If so, you don't have to look for skins with freckles. LFauna sell freckles on full face and body for a mere 100L. You can find cheaper freckles too, but then it's often just on the face. So all you have to look for is a skin tone and makeup that suits you. This is great for males who want freckles too. ;)

You could try Mynerva skins, they have very cute faces and remind me of Curio skins.

Yep, but I was over with my male alt and tried a demo. I could not see a version without chest hair. While I really like some chest hair, this was not what I want my male 'toon to wear. I like him to look like Marianne's brother, uncle or father so often he's in dark blonde or light brown hair. And the chest hair here is a solid black with white hairs in.

Offer options, designers... because I'm picky. No matter what gender I shop for.

Marianne Little wrote:

Yep, but I was over with my male alt and tried a demo. I could not see a version without chest hair. While I really like some chest hair, this was not what I want my male 'toon to wear. I like him to look like Marianne's brother, uncle or father so often he's in dark blonde or light brown hair. And the chest hair here is a solid black with white hairs in.

Offer options, designers... because I'm picky. No matter what gender I shop for.

Another example why designers need to start making skin bases and sell the extra layers separately as tattoo layers. Whether it be makeup, facial, head base and body hair options or even freckles and things like that.

Why should I go spend 2000L on the same skin with one photoshop layer of a different facial hair? Why not just sell me the layer as a tattoo layer for 200L instead? If I can't get it from the person that sells my skin I'll get it somewhere else, even though it may not be exactly what I want, so they're missing out on sales.

Of course, this argument will make more sense after everyone has switched to V2 code base and can wear multiple tattoo layers, which will be happening very soon.

...Dres

Curio is the new Redgrave - every has it and you can identify them from miles away! :matte-motes-yawn: And statements like

Libertine Frostbite wrote:

Her reply was, and I quote, "I guess you'll have to shop somewhere else."

makes it even easier to not buy one of those skins.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Of course, this argument will make more sense after everyone has switched to V2 code base and can wear multiple tattoo layers, which will be happening very soon.

...Dres

Exactly. Virtually all skin designers I know (and I work for a very well-known skin brand, too) *want* to offer skins with loads of tattoo layer options. As long as there are people out there who are still using viewers based on 1.23, however, then skin designers need to think about not alienating those customers, too.

I have tons of skins, Curio and many others, cos i like to change skins frequently. Curios are easily recognisable but they're also highly detailed. They're popular 'cos they're good.   Plus the underlying shape defines the look just as much as the skin, so you can still look individual. 

I found this designer to be pretty helpful in the past, but one's MMV.  Guess she was short on time that day and didn't care to elaborate further.  *shrug*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a few good places to look now. I guess what I was hoping for was that *because* Curio skins have a particular look to them, someone could give me pointers on who might sell a skin with a similar look. I know that look works well with my shape. I have particular trouble with skins where the nose is too narrow and not all rounded at the end, or where the lips are too sharply defined and have a different shape.

As for the merits of painted-on lashes vs. prim lashes, I just plain don't like the way the painted-on ones look. It's a personal preference.To me, prim lashes over painted-on looks like I'm wearing sloppy eyeliner.

I'd love to see designers selling simple, unmade-up skins with custom tattoo layers. On the other hand, when I look at makeup layers on the Marketplace, I can find lots of nice, natural-looking lips (I have the (Ag) Bitten Lipstain Pack, and it's *perfect*)... but the eye makeup is usually too heavy and dark for my taste. I suspect skin makers would end up doing much the same thing.

I was a raging tomboy in my teens, and I just never really got into wearing makeup; at 44, I look weird to myself when I wear more than a sheer hint of color. I guess I just carry that preference over into my avatar.

• 4 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3097 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.