Inspiration (for finding new friends)

Ok so I just wanted to share a cool experience I had yesterday. Background: I started being active again on SL a few years ago after being away for a while. I used to be the kind of person who would strike up conversations with strangers while I was out exploring. But when I came back it seemed like no one was doing that anymore. So I stopped doing it too.

Fast forward to yesterday: I popped into a furniture store to check out a dining set I wanted. There was a guy standing there looking at the same set. I almost said hello to him, but I didn't. I looked at the table and was about to TP away when he spoke to me with an exuberant "Hi!" and asked how I was doing. We started chatting. Within 10min we had bonded over our shared love of decorating and had a silly blast testing out the dining animations.

This story ends with us rocking out together on the music equipment at his apartment and now he's probably my new bestie.

The point is...I thought SL had changed. But it was me that had changed. I was the one who wasn't being my usual, carefree open self. So be yourself. Be friendly. Talk to strangers.

That is all. ❤️

sl_Mick1.jpg

• Like 20

Wow, that is so similar to what I have experienced. I am always on the shy side, don't want to bother anyone. And I can wander endlessly there are so many beautiful places. I find this time around ppl have been so friendly and helpful. One lady took me to get a new free body, she was really nice. I just have to become more open myself cus I think there are a lot of very nice ppl here. Good for you Shaharazad I am so happy for you. Very inspiring.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I was inspired for a moment, and then realized this was a post from the previous month reporting on the last, actual conversation in Second Life. Conversations have since gone extinct as everyone now shops with auto-response activated and communicates asychronously in the unlikely event someone leaves a message worth responding to.

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2022 at 3:52 AM, junique Tigerfish said:

don't want to bother anyone. 

I think the root of the problem is, that we are getting conditioned not to bother anyone. For example, there are way to many people who put conditions to interactions. That puts people off talking to anyone any more.

I personally experience, that the more people know me, the less people are doing that "Hi" thing. Several of my friends confessed later on, that at first they were very reluctant to start a conversation with me. They thought a well known blogger certainly gets a lot of that (fans, groupies, stalkers, etc) and they simply didn't want to be a bother. But that is not the case,

Hardly anyone (maybe 5 per week) contacts me directly. I love getting feedback on my writings, there is nothing wrong in saying hi.

@Shaharazad Humphreys

Thanks for the inspiration anyway. I think I have to "hi around" more myself. Just like in the good old days. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caroline Takeda said:

I think the root of the problem is, that we are getting conditioned not to bother anyone. For example, there are way to many people who put conditions to interactions. That puts people off talking to anyone any more.

I personally experience, that the more people know me, the less people are doing that "Hi" thing. Several of my friends confessed later on, that at first they were very reluctant to start a conversation with me. They thought a well known blogger certainly gets a lot of that (fans, groupies, stalkers, etc) and they simply didn't want to be a bother. But that is not the case,

Hardly anyone (maybe 5 per week) contacts me directly. I love getting feedback on my writings, there is nothing wrong in saying hi.

@Shaharazad Humphreys

Thanks for the inspiration anyway. I think I have to "hi around" more myself. Just like in the good old days. 🙂

I think I have to realize that I can contribute,that I have things to say and that I matter.Little lack of confidence and some social anxiety creeping in.I am so impressed by the smarts,personalities and humor of the people here.I read many things here,very interesting,learn so much.After all what's the worst that can happen.They don't say hi back.I have to remember if I want to belong to a community I have to reach out.A work in progress I am.It can be a silly sl sometimes but I do love being a part of it.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2022 at 6:22 AM, Shaharazad Humphreys said:

Ok so I just wanted to share a cool experience I had yesterday. Background: I started being active again on SL a few years ago after being away for a while. I used to be the kind of person who would strike up conversations with strangers while I was out exploring. But when I came back it seemed like no one was doing that anymore. So I stopped doing it too.

Fast forward to yesterday: I popped into a furniture store to check out a dining set I wanted. There was a guy standing there looking at the same set. I almost said hello to him, but I didn't. I looked at the table and was about to TP away when he spoke to me with an exuberant "Hi!" and asked how I was doing. We started chatting. Within 10min we had bonded over our shared love of decorating and had a silly blast testing out the dining animations.

This story ends with us rocking out together on the music equipment at his apartment and now he's probably my new bestie.

The point is...I thought SL had changed. But it was me that had changed. I was the one who wasn't being my usual, carefree open self. So be yourself. Be friendly. Talk to strangers.

That is all. ❤️

sl_Mick1.jpg

I'm strange,  you can talk to me!  I only play SL for the chatting and its quirkyness.