2 Billion USD funding for a metaverse.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I can see that, but why isn't there a ton of them that jump into SL when they are done with the kids stuff?

Well, they do jump into SL. I haven't seen new-user-signup data in ages, but back in the Mark Kingdon days, he bragged about attracting 30,000 people to SL each and every day. Somehow me missed the fact he was losing 30,100 each and every day.

The question has never been why they don't come here, it's always been why they don't stay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't think giving mono a fresh coat of paint with a new lang is going to fix anything. It's still going to have all the same problems LSL does now with possibly different memory requirements.

My complaint about LSL is that it doesn't offer scripters enough actual capability for anything more than cleverly engineered toys and trinkets.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

My complaint about LSL is that it doesn't offer scripters enough actual capability for anything more than cleverly engineered toys and trinkets.

But. . . But. . . as long as it's turing complete (which it is) it can do 🌈Anything 🌈. :P

On 4/14/2022 at 5:10 AM, Ayashe Ninetails said:

🚨Random idea incoming - wouldn't it be fun if we had a type of Pokémon game in SL? Run around the grid collecting cute little fluffy things

LDPW have made a similar-ish game called Tyrah and the Curse of the Magical Glytches

is a grid-wide game, the glyches can be captured on quite a lot of Linden public-access parcels across the world

link here:  https://secondlife.com/destination/tyrah-glytches

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

But. . . But. . . as long as it's turing complete (which it is) it can do 🌈Anything 🌈. :P

I want access to the deep magic ... and a script permissions system similar to what we get with phone apps.

Oh and bigger scripts .. like 512kb as a start .. that doesn't mean all scripts will be 512kb, but it will mean we can dispense with needing to add a dozen scripts to something when they could be combined and about half the total size because of the overheads.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't matter how much money they toss at it. SL has two things that, so far, none of the big 'metaverse' competitors don't. User created content that can be sold. The second is game currency that can be converted to real cash. Without those two things, they are in a chicken and egg conundrum. Creators won't make content if they can't make money doing it and they won't get residents without decent content. None of the overseeing companies are likely to have a clue what potential residents actually want. Oh and a bonus, if they disallow cybersex RP, they are doomed in any case and none of them will allow it.

Just now, Crim Mip said:

It doesn't matter how much money they toss at it. SL has two things that, so far, none of the big 'metaverse' competitors don't.

User created content that can be sold.

The second is game currency that can be converted to real cash.

Meta is allowing both of these things now. Although they are taking a gargantuan cut.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/12/meta-will-keep-nearly-50-cut-of-virtual-item-sales-in-metaverse/

If LL take this to mean that's the industry rate and they can follow suit, prices are going to go up a LOT.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Crim Mip said:

Creators won't make content if they can't make money doing it and they won't get residents without decent content.

Lack of content has definitely been a major issue for most of SLs competitors in the past, but given the crazy amounts of money being spent on developing these new metaverse products I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the bigger players hiring professional developers to start churning out content.

LL has always taken a fairly hands off approach to content creation and left it up to the residents to generate the content, but that doesn't mean other companies will do the same.  For example, another way to encourage early adoption by content creators would be to offer additional benefits like cheap/free land to the creators of content that's recognized as exceptional.

Of course, trying to do something like that in SL wouldn't work simply because of the number of residents and sheer amount of content that gets created on a daily basis, but in a fledgling world where there are far fewer residents it's a lot more feasible, and rewarding those who create high quality content by providing them more resources to create and display even more high quality content is a great way to make your shiny new metaverse look good and generate free promotional material.

Edited by Fluffy Sharkfin
typos
  • Like 2

On 4/21/2022 at 9:44 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Meta is allowing both of these things now. Although they are taking a gargantuan cut.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/12/meta-will-keep-nearly-50-cut-of-virtual-item-sales-in-metaverse/

If LL take this to mean that's the industry rate and they can follow suit, prices are going to go up a LOT.

Taking too big a cut is equivalent to not allowing it at all. No maker is going to hand over 50%, especially when the site is new and has a very limited market. If they raise prices to make a reasonable amount for their work, nobody will buy. Spend some of that 2 billion to allow content creators to take 100% for a few years to build things up and then start increasing the percentage. They won't and all that money won't matter.

50 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

this is a interesting question. Is there anything that can't be done in LSL ?

It depends on how you frame the question. Obviously there are some technical SL things that LSL won't allow you to do (write to a notecard for example) However, if you frame the question in terms of things LSL ~Can do I.E. "Can you write an LSL program that will take some input said in local and say a response related to the input by algorithm XYZ" then yes, if you gave LSL sufficient memory, you could write that algorithm XYZ, assuming the Church-Turing thesis holds.

ETA: Nooooo, I need sleep not a Wikipedia wormhole. . .  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-instruction_set_computer

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

(write to a notecard for example)

is pretty interesting when get into turing complete

take writing to a notecard

LSL doesn't have a edit/save notecard API function

so we would have to write Our Own API function to do this

in our LSL script we read in the notecard, make some changes to the text, then call OurOwn SaveCopy function

SaveCopy sends text to OurOwn API server, which invokes OurOwn API bot.  Bot makes a new notecard populated with the text, and drops it in our device

on inventory change our script uses new copy of notecard and removes old

pretty tedious, but doable. Which supports the statement that LSL is turing complete

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So..if I understand right, we can create a bot that makes its own content,  and sells it on the marketplace!

the making content part is easy with a SaveCopy API program, is the original content design part that is hard

😸

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So..if I understand right, we can create a bot that makes its own content,  and sells it on the marketplace!

Now if another bot is created to buy the stuff, and another one that dresses up the doll, and another one that does the sex and dancing, nobody even has to log in any longer.

We could spend all our time on the forums.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Now if another bot is created to buy the stuff, and another one that dresses up the doll, and another one that does the sex and dancing, nobody even has to log in any longer.

We could spend all our time on the forums.

Getting bots to post on the forums would be relatively easy, and probably more interesting!

• Haha 1

On 4/12/2022 at 10:37 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

Yes, but it's for games and I don't want to be in a game.

This here pretty much nails it. Anything Epic would produce would be a lot similar to Creative mode in Fortnite. They are already trying to push that whole metaverse theme with some newer game I can't recall the name of right now where you can world build in it. And to be entirely honest the issue a lot of these platforms have is that kids are being allowed on them. So I don't see this as an alternative to Second Life for a variety of reasons. It's already been proven to fail.

For example I read an article about one called Avakin Life I think it's called where local chat is getting policed so hard people are copping bans left, right, and center over every little thing. In fact one user on Youtube even said it has gotten so bad you hardly see anyone going out anymore and when you do it's dead silence because everyone is afraid to speak.. It is what it is.

And the reason for it makes perfect sense even because it's to protect the younger kids from predators, but here is the thing. Grown ups go to the grown up clubs. So unless you're playing chaperone for your own child you got no business hanging out at the teen clubs. Which at the end of the day that is what these platforms are.

So Epic pushing out a metaverse it is not going to happen the way people think it is. If I am going to play a game then I will just play a game. As for the metaverse thing I'll stay in my own lane. They can have at it for all I care.👍😎

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.