Non-binary

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm assuming Cherries actually is a non-binary person in RL, and not just identifying as such here.  But...even if they are just experimenting with being non-binary in SL they still don't deserve harassment for it.

I'm not harassing them, at any point.

I'm saying in a world full of real problems such as world hunger, 44 million people in the Ukraine running for their lives, Putin hovering over the nuclear button, NATO trying to avoid WW3, Covid surging etc.

Prioritise.

Just saying :)

oh yeah, blocked  Luna's attempt's to troll now.

Edited by belindacarson

3 minutes ago, belindacarson said:

I'm saying in a world full of real problems such as world hunger, 44 million people in the Ukraine running for their lives, Putin hovering over the nuclear button, NATO trying to avoid WW3, Covid surging etc.

Shouldn't we be giving attention to things that matter?

I'm not going to fight with you, belinda.  All I can say is that I feel Cherries concerns are valid, and as important as most any other topic on the forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belindacarson said:

Are you giving attention to all the transgender people getting killed every year?

Or is that not a real problem?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Personally I am a little confused about what non binary actually is as I've read a number of definitions online and none were all that clear cut. The best I can make out that it is someone with a mix of masculine and feminine traits along some arbitrary scale from one to the other but sometimes outside of either which complicated the definition further. Anyone with a clear definition and some hint as to what constitutes harassment in relation to non-binary?

36 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Personally I am a little confused about what non binary actually is as I've read a number of definitions online and none were all that clear cut. The best I can make out that it is someone with a mix of masculine and feminine traits along some arbitrary scale from one to the other but sometimes outside of either which complicated the definition further. Anyone with a clear definition and some hint as to what constitutes harassment in relation to non-binary?

You generally have the right idea, though reading definitions online isn't really the best way to learn about things like this since identity tends to be very individual and personal. Even the definitions laid out by advocacy orgs and groups can be a bit muddy. Getting to know individual people and how they define things for themselves is the best way (a lot easier to do in a place like SL, of course, than perhaps it is offline).

As far as harassment is concerned - that's much less of a mystery. Anyone being plainly disrespectful and rude, bullying, misgendering on purpose, name-calling. The standard sort of thing. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Bitterthorn said:

The 'there are bigger problems /children starving / injustices across the world' argument as a reason why we cannot be decent human beings and respect people's identifies at home is a tired one.

It's also an unwise one. The next time someone using it complains about something, it'll be thrown right back at them. "I can't log in!" "Nevermind, at least you didn't die in a war!" "But... help!" "Sorry, too busy raising money for good causes."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Bitterthorn said:

The 'there are bigger problems /children starving / injustices across the world' argument as a reason why we cannot be decent human beings and respect people's identifies at home is a tired one.

I hate those arguments with such a fiery passion, you'd think I turned into a nuclear missile when I get confronted with those. 

This is interesting...the link takes you to a map to explore each gender-diverse culture:

"On nearly every continent, and for all of recorded history, thriving cultures have recognized, revered, and integrated more than two genders. Terms such as “transgender” and “gay” are strictly new constructs that assume three things: that there are only two sexes (male/female), as many as two sexualities (gay/straight), and only two genders (man/woman).

Yet hundreds of distinct societies around the globe have their own long-established traditions for third, fourth, fifth, or more genders. The subject of Two Spirits, Fred Martinez, for example, was not a boy who wanted to be a girl, but both a boy and a girl — an identity his Navajo culture recognized and revered as nádleehí. Meanwhile, Hina of Kumu Hina is part of a native Hawaiian culture that has traditionally revered and respected mahu, those who embody both male and female spirit.

Most Western societies have no direct correlation for this tradition, nor for the many other communities without strict either/or conceptions of sex, sexuality, and gender. Worldwide, the sheer variety of gender expression is almost limitless. Take a tour and learn how other cultures see gender diversity".

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/content/two-spirits_map-html/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Let's see here:

"Non-" means "not."

"Binary" means "Characterized by or consisting of two parts; twofold."

With traditional gender roles, there are two mutually exclusive categories - "male" and "female."

Therefore, "non-binary" in when referring to gender identity would refer to anyone identifying as anything other than the traditional mutually exclusive "male" and "female" roles.

Anything else I can help you with?

3 hours ago, belindacarson said:

So you're opposed to spending time coming up with laws about transgender athletes or discussing gender identity in elementary schools then?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

So you're opposed to spending time coming up with laws about transgender athletes or discussing gender identity in elementary schools then?

Okay, so we can't worry about the lives in the ukraine? Especially if they are part of the LGBTQ community. I honestly don't get it, how come we as people who don't live in the US? Always have to worry about American Problems? I know transgenderism as a whole and the issues that come with the territory are not only American. But Americans seem to have this thing to go, why are we not focusing all our time and energy on issues facing americans? You are not the only country in the world. 

• Confused 1

It was also only a matter of time before someone came along to misread a response as being centric to a specific country/suggesting that a given response sets the tone ...

Sit down folks, understand that a singular comment is only a fraction of an overall thread/discussion.

Edited by Solar Legion

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

It was also only a matter of time before someone came along to misread a response as being centric to a specific country/suggesting that a given response sets the tone ...

Sit down folks, understand that a singular comment is only a fraction of an overall thread/discussion.

Maybe there's a "BINGO" opportunity?

10 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Okay, so we can't worry about the lives in the ukraine? Especially if they are part of the LGBTQ community. I honestly don't get it, how come we as people who don't live in the US? Always have to worry about American Problems? I know transgenderism as a whole and the issues that come with the territory are not only American. But Americans seem to have this thing to go, why are we not focusing all our time and energy on issues facing americans? You are not the only country in the world. 

Okay, I found some Ukrainian lesbians. What shall we say about them? 

lesbian farmers.jpg

26 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Let's see here:

"Non-" means "not."

"Binary" means "Characterized by or consisting of two parts; twofold."

With traditional gender roles, there are two mutually exclusive categories - "male" and "female."

Therefore, "non-binary" in when referring to gender identity would refer to anyone identifying as anything other than the traditional mutually exclusive "male" and "female" roles.

Anything else I can help you with?

Do you identify as non-binary or speaking for them?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, belindacarson said:

In a world full of people going hungry, Russia arming nuclear weapons, Ukraine people fleeing for their lives, NATO trying to avoid war, wildfires in Australia, Covid running rampant.

Things that actuallly MATTER.

why on earth do such things as "gender issues" even warrant attention/press attention?

Just saying folks - priorities.

Jesus Belinda, I'm no psychologist. But I think you were the victim of narcissistic abuse in your past. I can see it so clearly in your post. It's called emotional invalidation 🤷‍♀️

Usually used by covert narcissists to gain the upper hand. You caught the habit. 

......I would put money on it. 

(my area is stock market psychology)

https://psychcentral.com/health/reasons-you-and-others-invalidate-your-emotional-experience

Edited by Robberinthemuseum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 706 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.