Do you think having the ability to archive inventory folder trees would be a desirable feature?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

just add as I don't want to be a total downer

in another thread recently we were chatting about the things we would like to have in a more comprehensive inventory manager.  One of the ideas was how nice it would be to have a inventory manager similar to Windows File Explorer with all the functions that this kind of program provides. And how we might be able to associate images/glyphs with inventory entries, similar to many of the creative programs and other visual worlds inventory managers

a Archive-like view would be good in such a manager

Edited by Mollymews
typs
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mollymews said:

we can do this mostly already

make a folder called Archive and stick all the folders that we rarely use in it

I was thinking that an actual archive would not be loaed unless the user actually needed to access the contents, and that that would save some resources, perhaps helping performance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I was thinking that an actual archive would not be loaed unless the user actually needed to access the contents, and that that would save some resources, perhaps helping performance.

that could work

is a number of ways it could be done technically. Am not sure which would be the best way. Some kind of dynamic loading I suppose. Like can only drop folders with content into the Archive. Then when open the Archive, only initially download the top level folders, then only download  folder contents (sub-folders and assets) when open the folder

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

that could work

is a number of ways it could be done technically. Am not sure which would be the best way. Some kind of dynamic loading I suppose. Like can only drop folders with content into the Archive. Then when open the Archive, only initially download the top level folders, then only download  folder contents (sub-folders and assets) when open the folder

You just described how web technologies work :P 

As we all know(well I presume we do) our web browsers or viewers for that matter like to cache data locally on our computers or mobile devices. This data is used precisely for the purpose of not having to download every time the data necessary to access whatever you need. The same approach can be applied to the viewers as they already cache some of the crucial data needed to operate. responses from web requests like authentication, meta data, etc. How can that be realized with the current software technology and architecture used in LL that I don't know, but it's possible to do it. 

As for email archiving from mail clients, the principle is exactly the same. They archive the data locally on your computer, the difference is between desktop clients and cloud services like yahoo and google where the archived data is stored on a server instead of your machine or device. 

3 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

You just described how web technologies work :P

Dang ! I just invented another thing invented by somebody else already

if all them inventors hadn't been born before me then I would have invented all the things first and I be all like super amazing and brilliant even ! Not that I would ever say this about myself of course, me being all modest and nice person

😺

@Richardus Raymaker wrote, "Miving files around the current way is always clumpsy."

I have gleefully added another neologism to my collection. Thank you for "clumpsy"!

To make things a little less clumpsy, open two (or even three) inventory windows. Scroll one to where the ThingsToBeMoved are. Scroll one to where the ThingsOughtToBe. Drag the Things from one window into the other.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.