buttons

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I ask for help, and I get directions, my buttons are not the same buttons as the directions. For example; I recently asked about lighting. I was told to go to preferences, then graphics, then advanced, then atmospheric shaders. Well, The preferences, the graphics and the advanced are all there, but the atmospheric shaders button is not. This happens all the time I ask for directions. I follow the directions, but my buttons are not where they said the buttons would be.

• Like 1

Here's what it looks like if you view Preferences in the standard SL viewer:

ba79362568c4237d33e4302d805e1f14.png

Notice the Atmospheric Shaders checkbox in the ADVANCED GRAPHICS PREFERENCES panel, which opens when you click the Advanced Settings button in the left-hand image.

If you are using a Third Party viewer like Firestorm, you will have to look in the analogous place in its Preferences display.

Edited by Rolig Loon
Additional information
  • Like 1

I suggest you google and watch some YouTube videos on how to get started in Second Life.  From all your initial questions it's clear that you are starting out brand new.  While this community is helpful you need to have a basic understanding of what an AO is, what a viewer is and what the basic controls are to navigate Second Life.  If you are not using the Firestorm viewer then when you ask for directions the buttons are not going to correlate.  

You don't have to be using the Firestorm viewer to ask questions here.

It's fine to be using the standard SL Viewer, however, it's helpful to mention that in your questions, so that when people answer they can take that into account and try to show the buttons from the standard SL Viewer (or at the very least they can mention their pictures are from a different viewer).   

There are people that use other viewers than Firestorm, or that keep a copy of the standard SL viewer installed as well, for answering questions when they know the person asking is using the standard SL viewer.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

You don't have to be using the Firestorm viewer to ask questions here.

It's fine to be using the standard SL Viewer

Not only is it fine, many of us will assume that you are using the standard Linden Lab viewer as a default, because that is the one that most users begin Second Life with.  And many of us continue to use it on a regular basis.  😉 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 740 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.