Black Dragon Mesh Rendering Issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would anyone be able to guide me on which rendering settings to update in order for my avatar's facial hair and ears specifically to render properly when zooming out? It seems to only be affecting mesh attachments. I've been skimming through settings for hours with no success.

I am currently using the latest Black Dragon viewer 4.0.5

In this screenshot, you can see my ears are fully rendered.

image.thumb.png.2a88effc99da92f0b2e003192c2be581.png

As I zoom out for angles, it becomes this.

image.thumb.png.b5135d4416774a81986d29fc9655135c.png

I am a photographer and videographer in SL, so this is a very important correction needing to be made. 

All help is appreciated!

I think that would be LOD settings (Level of Detail).

Mesh can distort at a distance (if not fully optimised).

You can "rescue" it at some cost to your viewer's performance by cranking your LOD setting to maximum. I believe it may also make your (graphics?) processor work rather harder,  but I am not a techie! My viewer allows 4, in the past I've seen LODs of 8 even. Never having used your viewer, I'm not sure how far the slider goes up.

In my viewer you find LOD under Graphics Preferences.

Thank you for the information Emma! Yes, I am familiar with the LOD Factor. I usually use Firestorm for regular use and Black Dragon for videos and pictures and get no issues in Firestorm with the LOD set to max. Black Dragon however makes no difference when adjusting the LOD. 

Thank you for your insight!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mc Marais said:

Thank you for the information Emma! Yes, I am familiar with the LOD Factor. I usually use Firestorm for regular use and Black Dragon for videos and pictures and get no issues in Firestorm with the LOD set to max. Black Dragon however makes no difference when adjusting the LOD. 

Thank you for your insight!

Could shout out to @NiranV Dean

This should indeed be an LOD issue, if cranking object quality all the way to Ultra does not help then your mesh (the ears i guess you are talking about) are a very special case of too small (having an incredibly small bounding box possibly unrigged) and possibly also a very bad LOD (3 out of 4 levels are just single triangles to save on Ll). Either way you'll want to turn Avatar Quality higher (in case it scales with that for some reason, rigged mesh sometimes does) and set Object Quality to Ultra, then turn off Dynamic Level of Detail (this in combination with Object Quality Ultra should force it to render at full LOD at all times). If that does not help then this might be a rare case of mesh (LOD corruption) where you are seeing the one good LOD and as you zoom out/in you get an LOD that got borked for you somehow, in this case only a cache clear will help.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 742 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.