Athena Body creator?

Chic Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I am trying to find out about the Athena body but search isn't getting me there. Is it still around? A link would be great. Thanks. 

Do you mean the Lucybody from Atenea? http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral Reef/23/44/2003

It's available for free through a midnight mania. If you want to make it BOM, you have to buy a BOM relay for L$197. It fits most Maitreya garments and the feet fit Slink shoes (flat, mid and high). You can also buy a special feet add-on for Maitreya high for L$99.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Athena does exist, but it lives in the Open Simulator hypergrids, not Second Life. It's like the Lucybody Atenea, but is open source vs the proprietary license of most SL bodies. That Athena is Maitreya compatible and is rigged for Athena clothing. Just not in SL.

Anyone else have some clues?

Here's one of my photos from Open Sim with the Athena body.

2022-04-02_10-18-18.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

)K. Thanks to you both. Actually I HAVE been in Opensim this week (new FS viewer which seems to be working fine for both as long as I don't upload houses in SL *wink*).   I am wearing the Athena ( and I may have that name off as it was very early or very late -- OR the person that repackaged got it wrong)  body which I got last night but assumed it was stolen as so many things in OS are.  My plan was to pay the creator in SL since I do want to use the body but don't agree with the "stolen" part of the equation.   So I am VERY HAPPY to learn that news. It is simple and seems to work well.    And I can send a tip for its use. 

I also have a most likely stolen head from Catwa and I plan to pay for it in SL - LOL.   Giant applause to the folks that are actually making things for OS.  It is definitely difficult to look good there and keep your morals in tact.   I stop in every couple of years and add some legal things to the Kitely Market, but I don't do clothes or bodies.  I do have a very nifty builder's toolbelt I made years ago so I look pretty good out there on the sandbox.

Off to do some tipping.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 3

On 4/2/2022 at 2:11 PM, Chic Aeon said:

)K. Thanks to you both. Actually I HAVE been in Opensim this week (new FS viewer which seems to be working fine for both as long as I don't upload houses in SL *wink*).   I am wearing the Athena ( and I may have that name off as it was very early or very late -- OR the person that repackaged got it wrong)  body which I got last night but assumed it was stolen as so many things in OS are.  My plan was to pay the creator in SL since I do want to use the body but don't agree with the "stolen" part of the equation.   So I am VERY HAPPY to learn that news. It is simple and seems to work well.    And I can send a tip for its use. 

I also have a most likely stolen head from Catwa and I plan to pay for it in SL - LOL.   Giant applause to the folks that are actually making things for OS.  It is definitely difficult to look good there and keep your morals in tact.   I stop in every couple of years and add some legal things to the Kitely Market, but I don't do clothes or bodies.  I do have a very nifty builder's toolbelt I made years ago so I look pretty good out there on the sandbox.

Off to do some tipping.  

I have heads with the same names in Opensim as I do in S/L and noticed that I cannot achieve the same look even with using the same slider numbers or even tweaking it by comparing the visuals. Others who are familiar with particular S/L heads and their supposed counterparts in S/L have mentioned the same. The huds are quite different too. It makes me wonder if those distributing them there used the S/L names for familiarity rather then because they were actually imported to Opensim from here or that the mesh was imported but the rigging and weighting done by another. My understanding from a few years ago was that a popular mesh body creator from S/L did look at the Athena body and though mentioned there were similarities had decided to not file a DMCA notice in spite of a couple Opensim grid owners really hoping it would be. Without that DMCA they really could not complain about the Athena's distribution and competition with an overpriced body brought over from S/L with validated licensing.

If nothing else, the mesh content in Opensim helped a lot like myself and others to take the mesh plunge for our S/L avatars, as up until then I was a happy system body and clothing user with no thought of transitioning. The content in Opensim however allowed many of us to "demo" mesh and decide it was worthwhile enough to make the jump and of course since the names were already there, made the choice easy as to who to buy the mesh products from in Secondlife.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I have heads with the same names in Opensim as I do in S/L and noticed that I cannot achieve the same look even with using the same slider numbers or even tweaking it by comparing the visuals. Others who are familiar with particular S/L heads and their supposed counterparts in S/L have mentioned the same. The huds are quite different too. It makes me wonder if those distributing them there used the S/L names for familiarity rather then because they were actually imported to Opensim from here or that the mesh was imported but the rigging and weighting done by another. My understanding from a few years ago was that a popular mesh body creator from S/L did look at the Athena body and though mentioned there were similarities had decided to not file a DMCA notice in spite of a couple Opensim grid owners really hoping it would be. Without that DMCA they really could not complain about the Athena's distribution and competition with an overpriced body brought over from S/L with validated licensing.

If nothing else, the mesh content in Opensim helped a lot like myself and others to take the mesh plunge for our S/L avatars, as up until then I was a happy system body and clothing user with no thought of transitioning. The content in Opensim however allowed many of us to "demo" mesh and decide it was worthwhile enough to make the jump and of course since the names were already there, made the choice easy as to who to buy the mesh products from in Secondlife.

Thanks for the extra info, appreciate it. 🙂

10 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Much of the "brand name" items in Opensim are stolen. It is very easy to do and pass along.  At the same time, I suspect that even if the items are NOT stolen, they may not be the same quality in OS.

I went back to OS this week after a couple of years and uploaded two new houses plus two remakes of older ones. They new items had perfect physics models in SL, but there was no way that they would be exactly the same in in Opensim. That is why there is a caveated on the Firestorm blog telling folks NOT to use OS Firestorm to upload mesh.  Realistically it doesn't matter for small things where physics isn't all that important, but for houses -- a big deal. 

Since I am semi-retired (if bored) and since I just finished a very complex steampunk building  hopefully for SL 19B and certainly for Engine Room Sept LOL I have no great plans to work on buildings for awhile. When I do I can always grit my teeth and use the Linden viewer.  

So --- it is sometimes difficult to figure out what is a honest gift and what is a stolen product -- so far as Opensim goes.  On the downside there is very little premium content there simply because it  can be so easily stolen  or even if purchased passed along as full perm.   I have made my peace with that. 

Many times stolen items are uploaded incorrectly and so it is pretty much easy to detect the dishonestly. Now and then actual SL creators come and put their goods out for sale or older items as gifts. 

I left my 2022 version of OS Chic looking pretty good. I know that three parts of her are legal and I am guessing that two parts are not.  I don't like that news and I wish there were a way to be completely honest there, but tipping when you know the actual creator seems to be the only option. Alas.  

I at least feel good that I am contributing to the legal part of the equation from time to time. I doubt things will change though.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.