Video question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi.

I make videos using Adobe Premiere Pro.

I would like to be able to sell my videos in SL.

My main question is: is it possible to play a video just by putting a video file (.mov, mpg4 etc) into the contents of a prim. Ideally I'd like to sell the video files that people could play just by inserting them into a TV without a needed URL. I don't wish to use YouTube.

Is this a possibility in SL?

Appreciate any guidance.

Regards Chris

We have no way to upload a mov or mpg4 file to SL, so there's no way to drop it into the contents of an object. Because that's the case, we also have no LSL function that would play an uploaded video file.  The only way you can do what you want is to host the file on an external server (or a service like YouTube) and display the file on a prim face with Shared Media. 

• Like 2

Sorry to be a pain, and I'm not sure if you would have an answer but.....if I have a YouTube channel and set the uploaded videos to PRIVATE, would SL still be able to access the file via the URL? I would not want anyone to access the file unless they had paid for it. Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, BabaChufty said:

Sorry to be a pain, and I'm not sure if you would have an answer but.....if I have a YouTube channel and set the uploaded videos to PRIVATE, would SL still be able to access the file via the URL? I would not want anyone to access the file unless they had paid for it. Does that make sense?

possibly

media-on-a-prim is a web browser on a prim within SL, and all of the standard web controls on the MOAP prim surface function the same as expected in a web browser

you would have to test it out tho, as I am not sure if the YouTube signin function will work thru MOAP

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. I guess really then what I am attempting to do is sell access to a file. If SL can read a private YouTube URL then my next issue would be trying to maintain that privacy of URL from other residents of SL without 'buying' this access.

4 hours ago, BabaChufty said:

Thanks for the reply. I guess really then what I am attempting to do is sell access to a file. If SL can read a private YouTube URL then my next issue would be trying to maintain that privacy of URL from other residents of SL without 'buying' this access.

Linden have a rule that prevents us from using the Linden platform (Second Life) to sell products that are not able to be displayed in the viewer inworld

i think that to do what you want, you would have to make a MOAP player that can play your video (link to your own website) and sell the MOAP player for some amount of L$  

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 4:49 PM, BabaChufty said:

There are other video sharing web sites that allow you to do that. I think YouTube does not offer something like that but some others do. Just google something like "web sites where you can charge money to see your video" and see what pops up.

• Thanks 1

Most video on demand for pay sales use a website. WordPress sites have the tools to easily build such sites.

YouTube, Rumble, and Vimeo all have an option to limit a video's visibility to those with the URL. But once I have your private URL I can give it to others. So one is forced to build a website that can restrict users' access.

There is no easier way.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.