Is there any way to make wall texture look not darker than it is?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to texture something but running into an 'issue' where the wall texture will appear grey in world even though it's white.

The texture color is only correct when rotating the wall horizontal. It seems it's how the SL engine works but I'm wondering if there's a workaround?

Making the object Full Bright seems to fix it, but does Full Brigt have any impact on rendering weight?

Thanks!

Edited by arisaie

That's the way it is with sunlight only.
Full Bright on things that usually don't glow in the dark looks very disturbing, though.
If it really needs to be brighter, I would try with an emissive mask. Which is the same as what Full Bright does, but adjustable in strength, on a per pixel basis. (Works only with Advanced Lighting Model.)

100% white  does look very artifitial, same as with 100%  black. Even more so when using specular maps. A 100 % white surface won't have any room left for specular highlights. So in practice, a white surface should be something around 80 to 90 % white. Which is, indeed, a light grey.

The other way to bright it up is to put out some lamps (local lights) to illuminate the area.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, arisaie said:

I'm trying to texture something but running into an 'issue' where the wall texture will appear grey in world even though it's white.

The texture color is only correct when rotating the wall horizontal. It seems it's how the SL engine works but I'm wondering if there's a workaround?

This page shows how various features affect render weight. Each multiplier will only affect the prim's cost once even if more than one face uses that feature. (PS "alpha" specifically means alpha blend mode only. I'm not sure if "bump" and "shiny" count the old standard settings or only if you supply a normal/specular texture.)
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rendering_weight

Neither Full Bright nor an emission mask increase render weight. Full Bright will make that face look as bright as in full sunlight at all times, and also never have shadows cast on it. For an emission mask, you have to re-make your texture with a full image alpha channel at some moderate value that you'll have to experiment with to get right (hint: preview it with the Local Texture feature!), plus you won't be able to have any transparency or translucency. You'll need to set the face's alpha mode to emission and always set Transparency to 0%.

What do you mean by "rotating the wall horizontal"? Do you mean lay it flat so the inside points toward the sky, like it's a floor, or rotate it like a doorknob turns so it switches from landscape to portrait?

Edited by Quarrel Kukulcan
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

That's the way it is with sunlight only.
Full Bright on things that usually don't glow in the dark looks very disturbing, though.
If it really needs to be brighter, I would try with an emissive mask. Which is the same as what Full Bright does, but adjustable in strength, on a per pixel basis. (Works only with Advanced Lighting Model.)

100% white  does look very artifitial, same as with 100%  black. Even more so when using specular maps. A 100 % white surface won't have any room left for specular highlights. So in practice, a white surface should be something around 80 to 90 % white. Which is, indeed, a light grey.

The other way to bright it up is to put out some lamps (local lights) to illuminate the area.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree full bright doesnt look too good. I had no idea about emissive mask! It works and indeed reflects light which full bright doesnt.. Thanks

14 hours ago, Quarrel Kukulcan said:

This page shows how various features affect render weight. Each multiplier will only affect the prim's cost once even if more than one face uses that feature. (PS "alpha" specifically means alpha blend mode only. I'm not sure if "bump" and "shiny" count the old standard settings or only if you supply a normal/specular texture.)
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rendering_weight

Neither Full Bright nor an emission mask increase render weight. Full Bright will make that face look as bright as in full sunlight at all times, and also never have shadows cast on it. For an emission mask, you have to re-make your texture with a full image alpha channel at some moderate value that you'll have to experiment with to get right (hint: preview it with the Local Texture feature!), plus you won't be able to have any transparency or translucency. You'll need to set the face's alpha mode to emission and always set Transparency to 0%.

What do you mean by "rotating the wall horizontal"? Do you mean lay it flat so the inside points toward the sky, like it's a floor, or rotate it like a doorknob turns so it switches from landscape to portrait?

I had no idea about emissive mask.

The way I tried it, is I took my 2D texture from substance painter and baked only color on a new texture with alpha enabled.

The one thing I noticed is that the emissive mask texture with alpha uses 1/4 of texture memory more than a texture without the alpha mode.

My other question is - if I use the emissive mask, do I risk alpha fighting (not sure if its the correct term) as sometimes seen with hair and other objects with alpha? I tried looking through my hair but I havent noticed any transparency issues (like with hair where it makes your clothes transparent). 

17 minutes ago, arisaie said:

The one thing I noticed is that the emissive mask texture with alpha uses 1/4 of texture memory more than a texture without the alpha mode.

Here is a table with the supported texture sizes and their memory usage. https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Texture_sizes

18 minutes ago, arisaie said:

My other question is - if I use the emissive mask, do I risk alpha fighting (not sure if its the correct term) as sometimes seen with hair and other objects with alpha? I tried looking through my hair but I havent noticed any transparency issues (like with hair where it makes your clothes transparent).

No, the alpha glitch does only happen when the mode is set to Alpha blending. Alpha masking, and Alpha emissive won't have that problem.

Personally, I would consider keeping a wall texture as is, though. Without any extra brightness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 834 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.