Hi, i need help with adjusting my hair!! (please DDD:)

cuadril

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there! a few days ago i tried to edit one of the hairs i have to a new head i had and i didn't know the change would remain for all avatars and now when i try to edit and move the hair, it doesn't move at all... could you please lend me a hand with this? Thanks in advance!!

WFIRJFu.png

For an anthro such as yourself make sure you get unrigged hairs. It gives you some wiggle room. Also maybe try out some of the Ayashi hairs. Some of them are made for anime avatars in mind, but you might have some luck with them. All of their hairs can be demoed through Marketplace, and the shorter hairs are normally always unrigged. 

• Like 2

The hair you're wearing in the picture is rigged hair (I recognise it - it's Tegan from Doux). Rigged hair can't be re-sized or moved. Your only option here is to resize and move the head (but it's a real nightmare trying to do that and keep the eyes fitting and working properly).  Its much easier to get unrigged hair as mentioned but also... make a separate copy of the hair for each avatar you have, because you will need a different size for each head. 

Another option is to get one of the newer bento furry heads such as the Canis and Felis heads from Cerberus. They are designed to fit with most human rigged hair. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/C-Canis-Bento-Head-Mesh-Bento-caninecaniddogwolffox-head/17879573

This is me wearing Felis and rigged hair from Magika, no adjustment necessary:

200929_001.thumb.jpg.e430d0f275c0200f3ddff5e0df34808a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

What head is that? There may be a rigged mesh hair workaround involving an alpha and re-shaping the head.

I think it's the Wolf avatar head from Spider Productions.
Felis/Canis as Matimo said will fit rigged hairs, but the heads are quite wide(at least Felis is), so you may get a lot of clipping on hairs that are more narrow.

Edited by CalypsoJewel
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CalypsoJewel said:

I think it's the Wolf avatar head from Spider Productions.
Felis/Canis as Matimo said will fit rigged hairs, but the heads are quite wide(at least Felis is), so you may get a lot of clipping on hairs that are more narrow.

Ooof. That's a whole body avatar with no clothes support. 

Yeah, you might want to re-think this one and go with a head you can match with a mesh body with support.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Furry heads require a little more shaping than default human mesh heads to get rigged hair to look right.

If they can even be shaped. Many of them are super limited and a majority of sliders do nothing. I have that issue with my alt's Felis head all the time. A lot of hairs clip very badly to the point of being unusable. Unfortunately it's one of the better looking feline heads out there unless you want a super narrow snout.
The avatar though.. to be honest i've not even seen anybody use it, so I have no idea if it's a similar size to any of our current bodies. If not.. ouch. Especially considering how expensive it is.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, CalypsoJewel said:

If they can even be shaped. Many of them are super limited and a majority of sliders do nothing. I have that issue with my alt's Felis head all the time. A lot of hairs clip very badly to the point of being unusable. Unfortunately it's one of the better looking feline heads out there unless you want a super narrow snout.
The avatar though.. to be honest i've not even seen anybody use it, so I have no idea if it's a similar size to any of our current bodies. If not.. ouch. Especially considering how expensive it is.

Yep! It's quite expensive, and sadly i'm still new to SL so i didn't know better when i found it on the store and thought ''Wow! this avatar looks nice, i need to get it!'' 

On that note... what are some good avatar bodies to look for if i intend to have a curvy avatar (something like the anthro wolf shown on the pic) but something with a lot more clothing options for it?? i saw a ton of avatars with beautiful and curvy bodies and they had some pretty nice clothes too! i thought maybe with a little bit of editing i could make it work but again, i'm a newbie here so i now next to nothing about modding/editing stuff... 

(small edit: what i'm looking for to make is a female furry avatar and i want to see what are the better options for customization)

Edited by cuadril
  • Like 1

And again, thank you so much for everyone in the replies for helping me out with this one, in the future i'll try to look for unrigged hairs and i'll definitely try demos inworld before buying them blindly from the web store

• Like 3

The curviest bodies that probably have the most support(or past support) and clothing(that I know of) are Slink Hourglass, Belleza Freya, Legacy, Kupra, and Ebody Reborn. Kupra and Ebody are the newer ones, with Ebody being the newest. Freya and Hourglass have a more realistic slider propertions. The issue is both of those are not really getting many new clothes made these days as other bodies have taken over. Kupra is very.. I want to say cartoonish in it's proportions. If you want a butt the size of a small car and big, almost perfectly round knockers then you'll want that one. Ebody is similar to Kupra but smaller and imo better looking/shaped. The butt looks a bit awkward with how high it is, but that's about it.

Legacy has a really nice shape, but it can only be made so big before you start getting pony thighs(hello old SL days). It's also stupidly expensive, and the way it works leaves it in a bit of a hazard zone as the body could just become a paperweight at any time. If going with this, i'd suggest waiting for one of their 50% off sales.

These days I see a lot of Legacy sizes, with Kupra and Reborn showing up more and more.

I would suggest perhaps grabbing demos for different bodies(afaik Legacy and Kupra demos cost L. 1 maybe?), and perhaps checking the shopping events on seraphim to see what bodies creators are making clothes for these days.

Always demodemodemo. Unfortunately many anthro items can't be demoed, but luckily they don't all cost an arm and a leg lol.

Edited by CalypsoJewel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cuadril said:

(small edit: what i'm looking for to make is a female furry avatar and i want to see what are the better options for customization)

Most overall customization & clothing options - Maitreya Lara. If you're making a furry that's going to need various body mods (hands, feet, rigged tails, wings, etc.), you definitely want to look for a body that those mods will all fit and work on. Most of the good mods have demos, so you can try everything on and see how things line up on you before buying anything.

For hands and feet, for example, Apricot Paws has recently-ish added support for Kupra and Ebody Reborn, bringing your menu of choices there to Maitreya Lara, Belleza Freya, Belleza Isis, Legacy Female, Slink, Kupra, and Ebody Reborn. However, if you start mixing and matching mods from different stores, you may find less support for Ebody, less for Kupra, none for Belleza Isis, only a few for Legacy, etc.

So, to work all this out, figure out what extras you're going to want/need first (hands? feets? tail? new head? wings?) and then grab demos of the bodies you like + demos of the mods and skins you like and try eeeeeeverything on with demos of the heads and clothes you like. Whew!

Maitreya Lara isn't your only option, of course. It's just the one that makes the mix and match shopping shenanigans less of a headache (for me, at least). Lots of things fit, lots of clothes at your disposal. For something curvy with decent support, you can try Freya and maybe Legacy, as well. But really, take your time and try everything! 

Oh and re: hair - I've had decent luck fitting my Canis and Happy Paw deer heads into Wasabi, Moon Hair (tons of freebies and a Midnight Mania board if you join the VIP group for 99L), Truth, and No.Match.

Heya! so i've been looking at the marketplace and i'm a bit curious to ask some stuff so... please bear with me...:

-Do i have to get skins for those avatars? (maitreya, belleza, ebody, etc.)

I've been looking in the shop for these avatars and i found most of them, all of them show they're human avatars but i guess you can sort of edit them to be more ''furry'' my next questions is, and please note that i mentioned i am a newbie, thus, there's a lot of concepts of SL that are still unknown for me:

-What does BOM(Bake on Mesh) mean? it's something that you can apply directly to these avatars to change their appearance?

I've seen quite a few of these bom/omega words thrown around in the shop and most of them in articles like these and i wondered if these are skins that you can apply to ALL avatars or just to a specific avatar... 

-I'll be honest, i want to make an avatar with big boobs and butt and with some stylish clothes...

I saw a TON of beautyfull avatars on my short time in SL and i want to be able to make my avatars look like that... but of course, i don't know how to do it...YET...

I have more questions but i don't know how to phrase them.. english is not my first language so i'll wait until i can think how to phrase them and i guess i'll make another post... 

1 hour ago, cuadril said:

Heya! so i've been looking at the marketplace and i'm a bit curious to ask some stuff so... please bear with me...:

-Do i have to get skins for those avatars? (maitreya, belleza, ebody, etc.)

I've been looking in the shop for these avatars and i found most of them, all of them show they're human avatars but i guess you can sort of edit them to be more ''furry'' my next questions is, and please note that i mentioned i am a newbie, thus, there's a lot of concepts of SL that are still unknown for me:

-What does BOM(Bake on Mesh) mean? it's something that you can apply directly to these avatars to change their appearance?

I've seen quite a few of these bom/omega words thrown around in the shop and most of them in articles like these and i wondered if these are skins that you can apply to ALL avatars or just to a specific avatar... 

-I'll be honest, i want to make an avatar with big boobs and butt and with some stylish clothes...

I saw a TON of beautyfull avatars on my short time in SL and i want to be able to make my avatars look like that... but of course, i don't know how to do it...YET...

I have more questions but i don't know how to phrase them.. english is not my first language so i'll wait until i can think how to phrase them and i guess i'll make another post... 

For the human bodies, you'll want either furry skins that have appliers for those bodies, or a skin that uses BOM for the LL UV(Linden Lab body skin maps). Many these days are coming with BOM, but some older ones still use appliers.

Bakes on Mesh is essentially a form of layering skin/makeup/tattoos on a body much like the older days of SL. They don't need appliers(such as Omega, which is a universal applier many bodies support and uses the LL UV so would work on any human bodies that support it). Just add and go so long as that item is made for that map(bom made for certain heads will only work on those heads; such as Lelutka Evo X. You'll want to make sure what you're getting works on what you have. Many things offer demos for this). Unfortunately it seems a lot of furry skin creators don't offer demos.. which is stupid. Someone else may be able to explain it better than me lol.

Making an avatar can take some time. The longer you go at it, normally the better it'll get. The right skins and items can make or break a look too, so demo anything you like that you think might work for your body.

If it makes you feel any better, my mind is an incoherent mess a lot of the time, so my posts end up all over the place in explanations lol.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CalypsoJewel said:

For the human bodies, you'll want either furry skins that have appliers for those bodies, or a skin that uses BOM for the LL UV(Linden Lab body skin maps). Many these days are coming with BOM, but some older ones still use appliers.

Bakes on Mesh is essentially a form of layering skin/makeup/tattoos on a body much like the older days of SL. They don't need appliers(such as Omega, which is a universal applier many bodies support and uses the LL UV so would work on any human bodies that support it). Just add and go so long as that item is made for that map(bom made for certain heads will only work on those heads; such as Lelutka Evo X. You'll want to make sure what you're getting works on what you have. Many things offer demos for this). Unfortunately it seems a lot of furry skin creators don't offer demos.. which is stupid. Someone else may be able to explain it better than me lol.

Making an avatar can take some time. The longer you go at it, normally the better it'll get. The right skins and items can make or break a look too, so demo anything you like that you think might work for your body.

If it makes you feel any better, my mind is an incoherent mess a lot of the time, so my posts end up all over the place in explanations lol.

Thank you so much for the help! i feel now as if i understand the way to go about it much better than i did before making this post, i'll try my best looking for demos and stuff to see if i can make a nice looking avatar without having to buy anything blindly hoping it will work lol

10 hours ago, cuadril said:

Yep! It's quite expensive, and sadly i'm still new to SL so i didn't know better when i found it on the store and thought ''Wow! this avatar looks nice, i need to get it!'' 

On that note... what are some good avatar bodies to look for if i intend to have a curvy avatar (something like the anthro wolf shown on the pic) but something with a lot more clothing options for it?? i saw a ton of avatars with beautiful and curvy bodies and they had some pretty nice clothes too! i thought maybe with a little bit of editing i could make it work but again, i'm a newbie here so i now next to nothing about modding/editing stuff... 

For a female curvy avatar, I would go with Belleza Freya (currently half price at just L$1250 or thereabouts).  Ebody Reborn and Inithium Kupra are also possibilities but they are rather niche shapes with very pronounced hips and butt which you cannot reduce much. Freya and Kupra are probably your best options for "big boobs".  Maitreya and Kemono are also popular but you won't get "big boobs" with either of those. 

You'll need a "bakes on mesh" furry skin which is really just a system skin that applies itself to the mesh body. Some bodies (like Kupra and Reborn) are set up for it by default, others (like Lara and Freya) have a button on the hud to turn it on.

Furry avatars these days are not often made as full avatars, they are sold as "mod kits" which include a BOM skin and usually ears and a tail, these can be applied to almost any body and it will tell you which head and feet they will work with so you can buy them separately. The head, feet and kit would normally cost somewhere between L$1000 and L$1500 in total so budget that on top of the cost of your chosen body. To put the skin on the head you wear the head and wear a thing from the kit called an "applier" - this is a HUD (button on the screen) which you click and it then adds the skin texture to the head and ears.

An example is this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/o-Wolf-Macaron-Canis-Lupus-BoM-BoMR/19410257   I own four of these kits now, they are really easy to use. 

The mod kits also include a neck extender which allows a furry head to fit a human body, but these can also be found free on the Marketplace if you decide to go fully D.I.Y. Which you can do if you're able to make your own skins and head/feet textures.

10 hours ago, Maitimo said:

For a female curvy avatar, I would go with Belleza Freya (currently half price at just L$1250 or thereabouts).  Ebody Reborn and Inithium Kupra are also possibilities but they are rather niche shapes with very pronounced hips and butt which you cannot reduce much. Freya and Kupra are probably your best options for "big boobs".  Maitreya and Kemono are also popular but you won't get "big boobs" with either of those. 

You'll need a "bakes on mesh" furry skin which is really just a system skin that applies itself to the mesh body. Some bodies (like Kupra and Reborn) are set up for it by default, others (like Lara and Freya) have a button on the hud to turn it on.

Furry avatars these days are not often made as full avatars, they are sold as "mod kits" which include a BOM skin and usually ears and a tail, these can be applied to almost any body and it will tell you which head and feet they will work with so you can buy them separately. The head, feet and kit would normally cost somewhere between L$1000 and L$1500 in total so budget that on top of the cost of your chosen body. To put the skin on the head you wear the head and wear a thing from the kit called an "applier" - this is a HUD (button on the screen) which you click and it then adds the skin texture to the head and ears.

An example is this: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/o-Wolf-Macaron-Canis-Lupus-BoM-BoMR/19410257   I own four of these kits now, they are really easy to use. 

The mod kits also include a neck extender which allows a furry head to fit a human body, but these can also be found free on the Marketplace if you decide to go fully D.I.Y. Which you can do if you're able to make your own skins and head/feet textures.

Thank yoouu! i'll check out the belleza freya then, i'll try the demo and see if i like it or if i give the maitreya one a try too... 

Thank you for explaining everything to me, now i feel more confident on how to approach this, at first i was a bit scared with all the stuff , i'm still new but with your help now i understand it a lot better! 

Just in case, i'll attach a link to imgur with some screenshots of the bodytipe/shape i had in mind, i just saw this avi somewhere and i fell in love with it's shape at first sight, so that's why i was curious about avatars and its shape, i wanna do something similar (if not the same, just changing the skin, head and clothes) but that was the main body i wanted to go with... 

https://imgur.com/a/rRMAfQ6

(Fair warning that the screenshots i took are nsfw so beware before opening the link!!)

(edit: i know i could go and ask them what avi they're using but i'm just too shy to approach someone like that, i feel like i'm bothering them)

Edited by cuadril

4 hours ago, cuadril said:

(edit: i know i could go and ask them what avi they're using but i'm just too shy to approach someone like that, i feel like i'm bothering them)

in the Linden viewer, a way to get information on what another avatar is wearing is to right-click on the object (body part, clothing, attachment), then from the menu pick Object Profile

in the popup Object Profile it shows who is the Creator of the object we have clicked on, and the name of the object. On the Object Profile, click on the Creator name and it will show more information on the creator, including a link to the creator's Profile page. Where the creator will usually have information about their store

hii, i just messaged you inworld, if you still have problems feel free to ask me, i made my furry avatar a couple of days ago but i think i'm very good at this kind of stuff 😛 
also i've been lazy with the pictures so i don't have yet but i can assure you is hella cute 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.