Is hate real a virtual game?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not sure what you mean, Gopi?

This is a parody topic of "Is love real in a virtual game?", but I guess what I also mean is that there are places in Second Life that are known for people bickering. (I admit I frequent one such place.)

I'm sorry...I was on a parody "roll" from another website.

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

@Gopi PassifloraI think you left out a word in your thread title.

Emotions are real so... yeah.

Thanks, you're totally right.

• Like 2

I met someone a year ago in Second Life. We didn't get along at first but after a few days of arguing we totally hated each other. We met up in real life at the airport because we knew there was no way the other could bring weapons past security. Anyways, a few months later we are now legally restrained from coming within a hundred yards of each other.

It's a joke. 🙂

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

"define hate"

Wanting them dead . In my 50 years i never experienced the hate that consumed me in SL .There is no way in virtual to confront or deny the object of your hate you see which just dragged me into a downward spiral of frustrated rage .

In hindsight I should have quit , I should have let the pathetic lump of lard run me out of SL , moved over so they could move on to the next person they choose to make quit .

Shrugs , we live and learn but sadly there's no putting that genie back in the bottle so strangers will remain strangers .

• Sad 2

If I feel hate in a place, I'm out.
RL or SL.

Having different opinions about something? No problem.
Not getting along to well?  S**t happens.
But hate? One bridge to far. See you later (very very much later)

Never met real passionate hate in SL though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

I met someone a year ago in Second Life. We didn't get along at first but after a few days of arguing we totally hated each other. We met up in real life at the airport because we knew there was no way the other could bring weapons past security. Anyways, a few months later we are now legally restrained from coming within a hundred yards of each other.

Why did you meet them in rl?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

define "hate" 

because it's mostly used these days for "dislike" and not for the real meaning.

hate

verb (used with object), hat·ed, hat·ing.

to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest:to hate the enemy; to hate bigotry.

to be unwilling; dislike:I hate to do it.

verb (used without object), hat·ed, hat·ing.

to feel intense dislike, or extreme aversion or hostility.

noun

intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility.

the object of extreme aversion or hostility.

3 hours ago, cunomar said:

"define hate"

Wanting them dead . In my 50 years i never experienced the hate that consumed me in SL .There is no way in virtual to confront or deny the object of your hate you see which just dragged me into a downward spiral of frustrated rage .

In hindsight I should have quit , I should have let the pathetic lump of lard run me out of SL , moved over so they could move on to the next person they choose to make quit .

Shrugs , we live and learn but sadly there's no putting that genie back in the bottle so strangers will remain strangers .

In 15 years of being in SL i have never come across someone who has inspired that kind of rage in me. From everything you have posted i would say to stay out of SL till you deal with your anger issues. Its not a healthy environment for you. Far too many trolls and griefers. 

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I'm beginning to think in some posts you are honing your writing skills for a parody website such as The Onion.
https://www.theonion.com/

I like your type of humor, painting a hyperbolic and absurd fantasy picture, and it only works if for just a second we have to wonder if its real! So to make it work you can't let on that it's a joke right? Unfortunately, many seem to think it's literal.

Hyperbolic Humor: humor that greatly exaggerates the reality of a situation.  Typically seen as comic presentation marked by extravagant exaggeration and outsized characterization.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cunomar said:

Wanting them dead . In my 50 years i never experienced the hate that consumed me in SL .

Wow, that's intense. Just remember there's loads of people who never resolved difficult feelings from their past where they felt hurt. And they seek to glom onto people they can punish (you become a substitute for those past hurts) and drag down to their level of hate (misery does indeed love company). I stay away from people who exhibit excessive anger and who have a tendency to blame other people/things for their problems, as sooner or later you will be the one to blame and punish for their troubles if you displease them in even a minor way. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Go to certain places in Second Life, and I'm sure you'll get the answer to that question.

Oh hatred in virtual worlds is real alright. Currently I have someone focused on me as a hate dump. They log on as an alt and tell me I'm a horrible person so they'll never buy any of my stuff anymore. They've even posted on a forum, using a different alt, that the reason I have lower sales is because I'm a despicable person. They tell other people I talk about my customers in nasty ways to other store customers. They message new people they see me interact with and try to make them believe I'm some evil creature (tantamount to a sociopath) so they can bond together as friends having a common object to hate -- me.

Dislike doesn't usually involve harming another whereas hatred is a more intense dislike and there is a tendency toward inflicting some sort of harm/punishment.

Fortunately, I received the opposite this morning in my email, just a random act of kindness from a stranger:
[5:58] xxxx xxxxxxx: I thought Bliss Gardens were the best part of SL for years! Some of my best memories are from there. (Nov, 2006)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm beginning to think in some posts you are honing your writing skills for a parody website such as The Onion.
https://www.theonion.com/

I like your type of humor, painting a hyperbolic and absurd fantasy picture, and it only works if for just a second we have to wonder if its real! So to make it work you can't let on that it's a joke right? Unfortunately, many seem to think it's literal.

Hyperbolic Humor: humor that greatly exaggerates the reality of a situation.  Typically seen as comic presentation marked by extravagant exaggeration and outsized characterization.

Luna thanks for pointing out it could be a humorous twist, I am one of those who takes those posts literally 😉

I have Asperger’s so I tend to be quite literal 😀though I have learnt to discern the various nuances of humour when talking to someone in person, I still cannot tell in posts, emails or texts unless there’s some kind of emoji attached to it 😀

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I have Asperger’s so I tend to be quite literal 😀though I have learnt to discern the various nuances of humour when talking to someone in person, I still cannot tell in posts, emails or texts unless there’s some kind of emoji attached to it 😀

...sets you on fire, sans emoji

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Luna thanks for pointing out it could be a humorous twist, I am one of those who takes those posts literally 😉

Well I might not have known myself had I not witnessed Bree doing this a few other times. If any of her posts seem a bit absurd I tend to wonder if she's joking.  It probably helps too if you do enjoy hyperbolic humor and so the laughing it evokes provides a clue.  All the different types of humor are interesting aren't they?  I never liked slapstick, you know where people just fall down...well I might if I had 10 Tequila sunrises...lol.   Except, Mary Katherine Gallaher from Sat Night Live....her slapstick was funny to me as part of her overall character:

mary katherine gallagher slapstick.gif

• Like 3

12 hours ago, cunomar said:

"define hate"

Maybe you need a creative solution for releasing the anger (I'm not going to say hate because that's a complex emotion) that you're feeing. 

Some people punch a punching bag. I once bought a pumpkin, designated it as the person I was angry with, and tried to smash it with a baseball bat. I had a boyfriend who would shoot alien space ships on his video game when he was stressed. Burning a black candle and pouring my anger into it as I stare into it also works for me. These are ways to disperse or redirect one's feelings of anger. 

It may help to write out why you're feeling angry, to try to understand why this other person is making you feel angry.

If I'm quite sure why I'm angry but the incident that pissed me off was a relatively small thing in SL, I may give a joke item to the person that turns the tables on them somehow or otherwise expresses my feelings for them and the situation. For instance, when a griefer caged me at a sandbox, I sent him a "Friendly Monster" item. I knew he wouldn't be able to resist wearing it. It animates as if it's having sex with one's avatar, symbolically saying "F U". When one of my alts was living in a sim in which the people running it decide to "burn" the houses for fun, I wrote a funny poem in rhyme about how crappy the people running the sim were and posted it to their group before I left. When my SL boyfriend owned me money I'd lent him to help pay for his sim, I dropped Easter eggs all over the sim with little prizes inside, but which were also named things like "Snake", "Weasel", "Creep", Liar", etc. as a way to warn him that if he didn't give me back my money, I could hurt his reputation with his group. (I think I was the only person who got back the money they'd lent him.) Another guy in the group made a cartoonish manikin of the guy that would say things to mock him in a text bubble and he gave that out to his friends. 

If the incident is a more serious one that I've decided requires a response to correct the person's behavior, but I don't have a normal, legal means to do so, I may as a last resort decide to hex them. This seems to usually work for me, though I can't control specifically how it's going to work. Because this tactic can have serious consequences for the other person and sometimes for me as well, I avoid using magic as a response to anger or hurt feelings, and save it for when I feel I need to protect myself or others. It does make me feel impowered though, and because I feel impowered, my anger usually goes away.

One of my favorite spells for when I feel very angry with someone who I can't otherwise interact with is to make gingerbread cookies and designate each of them as one of the people I'm angry with. Then I eat the cookies. I call these, "Eat My Enemies Cookies".  🍪😁

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well I might not have known myself had I not witnessed Bree doing this a few other times. If any of her posts seem a bit absurd I tend to wonder if she's joking.  It probably helps too if you do enjoy hyperbolic humor and so the laughing it evokes provides a clue.  All the different types of humor are interesting aren't they?  I never liked slapstick, you know where people just fall down...well I might if I had 10 Tequila sunrises...lol.   Except, Mary Katherine Gallaher from Sat Night Live....her slapstick was funny to me as part of her overall character:

mary katherine gallagher slapstick.gif

I don’t get slapstick either, sometimes it’s just so simplistically stupid it’s comical though (and maybe that’s exactly the point of it?!) 

I have to say I love Mr Bean, my mother absolutely hated it while my dad and I would be in stitches watching it 😄 I also love Father Ted but that was an absolute pillar of the state here in Ireland… everyone can relate culturally to Father Ted here. From the ultra-bigoted parishioners to the drunken priest to the womaniser bishop, the only normal guy seems to be the PP (Ted) and the Chinese restaurateur 😄

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 748 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.