2 Years Later... SL Last Names ❓

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone,

I got to thinking today: It's been 2 years since SL released (okay, re-released) last names (April 13, 2020 initial re-release). Personally, I was incredibly excited to get my last name back in 2020, but reviewing today, I realized, 2 years later my name is still available, along with: Dallas, Littlepaws, Hexem, Alpha, Mysterious, Puddles, Rowley, Leeder, Huntsman, Voxel and Mercury. 

I could be very wrong, but I thought the idea of these last names was mostly to help us create a unique presence and get to experience what original members of SL experienced (i.e., picking their own names when starting an account). 2 years later, I find it strange that 25% of the premium last name choices (12 of 47, not including Resident lol) are still available to select from. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is it possible that more popular names just stay longer? Is there a definitive expiration date? When I look back to the last name Starlight, which (I think) was the most popular name of 2021, I would have thought they would have just kept this name on if it were so popular. Or... is it that these 12 last names (mine included) are the least popular names to select from and they are hoping to fill slots?

Anyone have any info, or ideas even? This is nothing overly insightful or awe-inspiring, but I couldn't help but wonder what's going on in the back room 🙂 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Great question! I will be interested to hear if maybe the answer is, "We planned to change the list of Last Names when they 'ran out' of some limit, but they did not 'run out'.."

This is almost definitely it, since it's the explanation they gave originally for how the last names will be rotated out and new ones brought in.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alexis Crisp said:

Or... is it that these 12 last names (mine included) are the least popular names to select from and they are hoping to fill slots?

Why would LL take down a lucrative product that still sells? Most of the ones on your list are fairly "reasonable" ones whilst the vast majority of custom last names have been simplistic jokes with about the same durability as a paper umbrella in a rain storm.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 4

They seem to rotate out only the seasonal ones, like the ones related to Christmas, Valentines day etc. And then there were a few like "cofeve" which I presume got rotated out because they were very unpopular.

I had a legacy last name when I joined in 2008 - Luminos. It was new on the list when I picked it up but it stayed for 2 years, in fact I think it was still on the list when they finally pulled the plug on last names altogether. There were about 15,000 people with the last name Luminos, and I still see some of them in world regularly. I ended up really disliking it and was glad of the opportunity to ditch it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Why would LL take down a lucrative product tht still sells? Most of the ones on your list are fairly "reasonable" ones whilst the vast majority of custom last names have been simplistic jokes with about the same durability as a paper umbrella in a rain storm.

It's sort of what I felt too, to be honest lol. 

27 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

... last name Luminos, and I still see some of them in world regularly. I ended up really disliking it and was glad of the opportunity to ditch it.

I haven't seen a ton of Crisps around to be honest... but, just the same, it took me a year to realize that Crisp means potato chip in the UK... so now I always wonder if people think my name is Alexis Potato Chip lol. 🥔🥔🥔

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Alexis Crisp said:

Hi everyone,

I got to thinking today: It's been 2 years since SL released (okay, re-released) last names (April 13, 2020 initial re-release). Personally, I was incredibly excited to get my last name back in 2020, but reviewing today, I realized, 2 years later my name is still available, along with: Dallas, Littlepaws, Hexem, Alpha, Mysterious, Puddles, Rowley, Leeder, Huntsman, Voxel and Mercury. 

I could be very wrong, but I thought the idea of these last names was mostly to help us create a unique presence and get to experience what original members of SL experienced (i.e., picking their own names when starting an account). 2 years later, I find it strange that 25% of the premium last name choices (12 of 47, not including Resident lol) are still available to select from. Does anyone have any insight on this? Is it possible that more popular names just stay longer? Is there a definitive expiration date? When I look back to the last name Starlight, which (I think) was the most popular name of 2021, I would have thought they would have just kept this name on if it were so popular. Or... is it that these 12 last names (mine included) are the least popular names to select from and they are hoping to fill slots?

Anyone have any info, or ideas even? This is nothing overly insightful or awe-inspiring, but I couldn't help but wonder what's going on in the back room 🙂 

I think for US $40, you should be able to pick any name you want out of their legion of names over the years. What would be the technical reason not to do this?

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Alexis Crisp said:

I haven't seen a ton of Crisps around to be honest... but, just the same, it took me a year to realize that Crisp means potato chip in the UK... so now I always wonder if people think my name is Alexis Potato Chip lol. 🥔🥔🥔

I just think "Crisp and Efficient" comes to mind more readily, I wouldn't change a brand name you worked over time over this issue. I theoretically know that factlet that in the UK and elsewhere, potato chips are called "crisps" but it isn't something that "sticks" such as to become a confusion. I think even for British people, they're not going to think, "Oh, that person must be crunchy."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I think for US $40, you should be able to pick any name you want out of their legion of names over the years. What would be the technical reason not to do this?

I completely agree with this. There are several I would happily have chosen instead of Luminos.

• Like 1

Back in the old days of last names, some names like mine had a short rotation and a low number of sign ups in the last name pool probably due to a lack of popularity and some names stuck around for a year or two maybe longer in the pool and had many thousands sign up. before the "Resident" placeholder became a thing i believe "Gossipgirl" was the most popular last name on the grid, used to see many a "Gossipgirl" around but can't remember the last time i saw someone with it

6 hours ago, Alexis Crisp said:

When it isn't the plural, I think crisp like a crunchy lettuce. Crisps are pretty much always going to be the plural, unless you're asking someone to give you one crisp from a bag.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2022 at 8:33 PM, Malin Sabra said:

I'm waiting for the ability to pick my own last name not off a list.

Not very likely to happen as that'd need a lot of support power because of people skirting naming rules and going for dirty or vulgar last names. The few would immediately ruin it for the many.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, So Whimsy said:

Not very likely to happen as that'd need a lot of support power because of people skirting naming rules and going for dirty or vulgar last names. The few would immediately ruin it for the many.

perhaps not.  We can pick any first name we want. Linden have shown they are capable of governing freeform firstname choices. I am not sure freeform lastnames would add any extra substantial burden to governance

I must have mentioned this numerous times at various in world meetings, jira, on one of my accounts on this forum. I would love for them to just open up the old list of names and let people choose whatever they want. I have a few legacy names and I could give a damn if anyone else wanted one of them as their surname. Anything’s better than the naff they have been trying to peddle over the last two years in “seasonal” last names.

Waiting for the Easter update…

Bunnyfondle incoming

On 4/2/2022 at 12:32 PM, So Whimsy said:

Think they only do that for corporations or some land barons.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 747 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.