Not sure where this goes under 🥰

Safairyya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Good evening 

After only being maybe a few months into SL, I've learned a couple things. I'm looking to learn how to do the sound emotes ( believe that's what they are called ). . I would like to be able to find places that actually have actual AVI there and not just AFKs 🤭☺ . 

Looking to branch out a little bit more . I am setting up my mic tomorrow, so communication isn't the problem' even tho most areas don't have the mic option . . . 

Would like to learn more about SL from making money to maybe making clothes 🤔.  

• Like 2

Welcome to SL!

For gestures, have a read here - 

The active places in SL tend to move around. And also a lot of chat tends to go on privately, so it may appear people are AFK when actually they are already engaged talking to someone. Also a lot of people will just ignore you if you wander up and just say "hi". That's just how people are.

You'll find a lot of people don't like using voice for various reasons. It overlaps with the "AFK" thing. Many people are only semi-active in SL, meaning they log in all day, but often are doing other things too. many are messing around in photoshop, blender or other apps doing various things.

Meeting people can be hard work in SL sometimes. I would say find a community you want to be part of, hang out there often and you should run into some people you click with eventually. This is something I struggle with in SL, but its mostly my fault. I'm not so good at being social :)

Making mesh clothing is HARD if you have no previous experience with 3D modelling. I would recommend starting with textures, or static rezable objects. That way, you "just" need to learn 3d modelling and texturing. clothes require additional steps called rigging and weight painting. There are plenty of youtube tutorials you can use to explore these topics.

Then you need to make variations for each of the many different mesh bodies available in SL. Its a HUGE faff and not something I would recommend for a beginner. You'll turn into one of those AFK people ;)

Hope that's helpful for you! x

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"System Clothes" are three layers, each comprising of a top & bottom which only require you to paint a template and upload,
then configure to be one of the three layers.
I learnt by gleaning information form the supremely generous and highly admired SL celebrity Robin Wood. Many thanks & R.I.P dearest Robin. ❤️
https://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLTutSet.html
I started by making system clothes and it's very very good fun. ☺️
You might also use the free open source graphics program "The Gimp👈(click link to go to webpage).

Mesh clothes, on the other hand, are an entirely different kettle O fish and as complex as you want them to be.
Most people seem to use Blender,👈 (open source 3d software), which there are plenty of tutorials & help available.

I don't create for SL at the moment and I also use 3d studio max which I find very intuitive but it's expensive.
Good luck with it all and have the best fun!  \0_ 

• Like 1

Regarding clothes, you may want to take a look at the plethora of mesh "template" clothes: these are full permission (i.e. you can copy, modify and transfer – sell – them) fully modelled and rigged clothes that you can create your own textures for. They often come with basic textures that'll give you an idea of how it all works and how to get started.

• Like 3

@Safairyya I'm pleased that you are so excited about learning to create things. I remember how surprised I was to discover how much there was to learn in SL and how many choices I had about being a creator. Frankly, that was never in my mind before I started. Then I found that the biggest stumbling block is deciding what to do first.  I think that's where you are now.

I don't know what to tell you except to try and focus.  Otherwise, life for the near future will feel like drinking out of a fire house and you won't feel like you are making much progress at anything.  How you focus is up to you. Master working with the basic building tools in your viewer, maybe.  Learn how to record and shape sounds you can upload and use in world. Use your artistic talents to figure out how to texture objects creatively. Draw on an interest in computer programming to dig into scripting with LSL or to make animations.  Just don't try to do it all at once.

I suggest getting to know other creators who can advise you or might collaborate on small projects that interest both of you. Every successful creator I know can point to someone who influenced them while they were finding their path in SL, even if the influence was indirect. Lurk in the Creation forums to see what other creators are doing and what they worry about.  Visit Builders Brewery and other places in world that offer free classes. And play.

• Like 4

As others have suggested, learning to make content takes time.

Whenever I settle down to do some creative task in SL, even just cleaning out my inventory, inevitably someone calls me up. "Let's go dancing/shopping/exploring/sailing/hang out!"

This constant battle for time between your friends and your creative work can get old very fast. Many people solve it by registering another account, an alt, for creating things.Then they never tell their friends about their alt, so they can log in as their alt and work uninterrupted.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Safairyya said:

Good evening 

After only being maybe a few months into SL, I've learned a couple things. I'm looking to learn how to do the sound emotes ( believe that's what they are called ). .

They are gestures and they are also super annoying since everyone overuses them especially in clubs. They should def be banned from all clubs since they ruin the actual music.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

They are gestures and they are also super annoying since everyone overuses them especially in clubs. They should def be banned from all clubs since they ruin the actual music.

The most annoying one I've heard lately is the "loud whistle" followed by some yahoo yelling "YEP!" or whatever they yell. Super irritating and has been used at venues where live singers are performing. Venues need to turn off the ability to gesture sounds when they book singers. Also the one where people run around or fall or fly by typing in the word in chat. Again, super annoying. It's cute once 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.