Secondlife Freezing up whenever I do anything in my inventory

tropicaldaisy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm having an issue where secondlife will freeze up whenever i'm doing something in my inventory, it doesn't matter what I'm doing, I could be only clicking on something or adding an item to my avi and it will freeze and blackscreen briefly for anywhere from 10sec to 10min, and its only happening with one avatar, my other avi is fine so its not my pc or my viewer. I'm using latest release of firestorm but its been happening for a few months now.

6 answers to this question

I have never heard of it either, but we know that you can have unexpected bad side effects from having an inventory that is too flat; that is, an inventory with relatively few individual folders that have a lot of things in them.  That flat structure -- as opposed to an inventory with lots of individual folders that have few things in them -- puts a heavy burden on the sorting/searching algorithms that your viewer uses whenever you open inventory or interact with the SL asset servers.  A flat inventory slows down other processes, affecting log in, teleporting, and other operations that don't appear to have any immediate connection to your inventory. Maybe it's also responsible for your temporary freezes.

Reorganizing your inventory can be a massive challenge,  especially if it's already slow, but that may be what you have to do. If you are a Premium member and can contact Live Chat, ask them if they can use their tool for flattening inventories. I do not know how it works, but I am told that is a good solution. It's also a lot faster than trying to unflatten inventory yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LYRIC Boxen said:

To much in inventory try cleaning it.. My inventory is so full right now i am having log in issues -_-

So, it sounds like that really may be the problem. Tough or not, solving it may be the only way to get past freezes and login issues. It's not usually about how much stuff you have in inventory; it's about how it's organized. See what Live Chat can offer.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tropicaldaisy said:

I'm having an issue where secondlife will freeze up whenever i'm doing something in my inventory, it doesn't matter what I'm doing, I could be only clicking on something or adding an item to my avi and it will freeze and blackscreen briefly for anywhere from 10sec to 10min, and its only happening with one avatar, my other avi is fine so its not my pc or my viewer. I'm using latest release of firestorm but its been happening for a few months now.

A large inventory can end up consuming a lot of system memory .. which if you're constrained can get swapped out and then runs super slow.

Try not running other applications at the same time as SL (especially a browser!)

If you have 8GB or less ram, see if you can upgrade to 16.

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.