Question about Connection and Log Outs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question: who gives the Internet provider the right to log us out of the viewer?

And when it´s not the Inet Provider, who else kicks us out from Time to Time, the weird is, my Internet should not be the Reason, cause if i open Chrome Browser, i see that the Web works fantastic, so why we get the damn Message    "We´r sorry we had to log you out of the System!" ???

Tysm

Edited by Nikita Neuman

My understanding is that SL requires a very stable connection - more stable than general web pages require - and that if there is some type of hiccup or delay in the transmission chain between your computer and the SL server you're logged into, which results in a longer delay than the viewer is expecting, then that message is displayed and the viewer connection closes.  

So not necessarily kicked out intentionally by a Provider, but when the time since the last successful communication between your PC and the server the viewer is connected to is long enough for the viewer to think the connection has dropped and is no longer active.

• Like 4

@Nikita Neuman

I would never completely discount problems with my ISP but, in this day and age, things have generally improved for most people to a point where it wouldn't be the first thing to suspect. The same seems to go for connections over home WiFi, where standards have improved a great deal over the last few years. WiFi will always be at risk of interference from other sources though and, if so, can be a prime cause of packet loss, which your connection to SL is particularly sensitive to. Packet loss is a good pointer to a dodgy connection; it can be read in the Help - About [viewer name] once you are logged in and settled down after a few minutes (assuming you can keep connected that long!). Ideally, it should be zero. Anything more than 2% (maybe even less) can be very disruptive. If you are using WiFi and are showing packet loss, start by connecting directly to your router with a cable and see if that solves things. If it does, now you can chase after what's wrong with the WiFi - loose plugs, interference, router faulty etc.

So, definitely make sure that things are running well at your end of the deal before looking further afield.

There are other things that might be causing your problem though. If you need to ask for further help here, copy/paste that page from Help - About [viewer name] (from the top bar menus of your viewer). Something else might show up.

Edited by Odaks
  • Like 3

@Nikita NeumanCould this problem be due to an aggressive Firewall or Antivirus, I wonder.  I assume you have allowed the viewer executables ( .exe files) through the firewall and whitelisted it and the associated cache and settings folders?  For Firestorm (and by analogy all viewers) has instructions here: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/antivirus_whitelisting

Edited by Aishagain
  • Like 4

On 3/26/2022 at 6:55 PM, Aishagain said:

@Nikita NeumanCould this problem be due to an aggressive Firewall or Antivirus, I wonder.  I assume you have allowed the viewer executables ( .exe files) through the firewall and whitelisted it and the associated cache and settings folders?  For Firestorm (and by analogy all viewers) has instructions here: https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/antivirus_whitelisting

My Viewer is in the Firewall and Defender in the Whitelist so i set all to Permission granted, means Firestorm get ot scanned or anything, gave him all Rights in my Defender.

The Problem is we have a Construction Site right in front of my Window, even i live in the 4th Floor, so very high up, my Modem is between Computer and Window.

Maybe all the Metal Scaffolding deflect the Data Rays from the Satelite to my Modem or are a Problem and disturb? Idk. If Steel Scaffolding can block them somehow.

53 minutes ago, Nikita Neuman said:

Maybe all the Metal Scaffolding deflect the Data Rays from the Satelite to my Modem or are a Problem and disturb? Idk. If Steel Scaffolding can block them somehow.

Ah.... you are connecting via a satellite link. That can be slow enough, given the long distances the signals have to travel, to cause problems. I have managed to keep a decent connection to SL via satellite, when on board a ship a few years ago, but there is nothing much around to interfere with the signal when you're in the middle of the ocean!

Have you had a successful connection via the satellite in the past? Is this something which has only recently occured, or is this your first attempt to connect to SL this way?

• Thanks 1

Na, Odaks, before i had a Cable Modem with Glass fiber Cables, so it wasa 40.000 Line, now i´ve changed the Apartment in another District, direct in the City, before i was on the edge of the City, more Countryside.

So now in the middle of the City, someone told me, i have to share the Web with the whole District´s Citizens.

My Modem look like kinda Cube you plug into the Power socket. Plug it, turn it on and you good to go.

I got that Modem--->

6902176041105_01_pl_ca7a.jpg

Edited by Nikita Neuman

@Nikita Neumanahh....frankly in your circumstances I am not in the least surprised that your connection to SL keeps dropping.  Your WiFi signal is unlikely to be stable enough or strong enough for reliable SL.  I assume that connection to the net via a wired connection is not an option?  If not I do not think your SL will reliably work.  When you stand still the data flow is not high, but on TP or much movement and change of view, the connection needs to be able to transmit a lot of data quite quickly.  Transient packet loss, which I am fairly certain you will get, is more than enough to get you turfed out.

• Like 1

LTE to WiFi access gateway?  Yes, that can be affected by nearby metal structures.  And, since it uses LTE for backhaul you are indeed sharing with everyone else that is using that mobile data network provider tower.  Sorry I can't help.

• Like 1

STrange is, that on some Days it works like a Space Rocket and SL runs for me perfect, than other Days or Hours, i even need to wait 5 Minutes or more, so i can wear some different Mesh Hairs or Mesh Clothes only appear as raw Form not as Clothes, weird.

Why the Connection determines about, if a Mesh Top renders or not, i thought thats the Graphical Part of the whole System?

Thx

1 hour ago, Nikita Neuman said:

Why the Connection determines about, if a Mesh Top renders or not, i thought thats the Graphical Part of the whole System?

That is precisely what I was talking about!

To be able to correctly render the mesh, your graphic processor needs all of the data.  It simply isn't getting it in a timely way, maybe not at all.  Your connection simply cannot supply the data stream as required in a consistent manner.

This issue is only made worse if several, or perhaps many, others are also sharing your connection.

Edited by Aishagain
Clarification
  • Like 1

If your internet connection is provided through geosynchronous satellites (the most common approach), you're facing several challenges keeping SL happy. The greatest of those is probably latency (delay). Geosynchronous satellites orbit more than 22,000 miles (~36,000Km) above the Earth, so it takes about 2/3 of a second for radio waves to make a round trip from your computer to SL's servers and back (Viewer->Satellite->SL Servers->Satellite->Viewer, where every "->" takes 1/6 of a second). The latency of a ground internet connection is roughly proportional to the distance between you and the AWS servers hosting SL. If you're halfway around the world from the US (12,500miles/20,000 KM), that latency would be less than 1/6th of a second. For something as interactive as SL, latency is a hurdle.

In addition, satellite links have much higher error rates than wire/fiber land connections. SL uses a mix of error-correcting (HTTP) and non error-correcting (UDP) protocols. If an error is detected in an HTTP packet, a retransmission is generated. Depending on whether the error is detected at the satellite or on the ground, that retransmission will take another 1/3 to 2/3 of a second. For uncorrected packets, the data is simply lost.

Textures are the most data intensive aspect of SL scenes, they they must be downloaded whenever they're not found in your SL viewer cache. This usually happens when you don new clothing or enter a new area. Given the limited bandwidth of satellite internet connections, it's possible for your downlink to be temporarily swamped by texture loading when do that. This can cause a spike in latency as texture data packets compete with other necessary data exchanges.

Web browsers and streaming video services are far more tolerant of latency. Waiting for a web page to fully load is a minor annoyance compared to seeing your avatar walk into a wall because it didn't respond to your key press in time. We're all familiar with waiting a few seconds (remember when it was time enough to go pee?) for streaming audio/video to "buffer" before it begins to play. That buffering allows the system to tolerate any potential delays in getting subsequent packets. We're also familiar with seeing grey textures gradually filling in as the viewer downloads them, but we still expect our movements to be reflected instantaneously, even though they share the same pipe.

LL has made great strides in hardening SL against wonky internet connections, but there will always be a limit to how much delay and error the system can tolerate before it tips over and dumps you out.

• Like 1

Even with great internet service, you can still sometimes encounter a hiccup in the network communication and end up disconnected.  More likely to happen on something like a TP where it has to do region handshakes, but can also happen if the region you are at is experiencing issues.  I've had it happen now and then while just standing in my skybox doing nothing but chat.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 749 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.