Regarding the SL Forums: Breaks.

Eggy UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey there friends:

I recently have not been on the Second Life forums that much lately.

I find myself to sometimes forget that this forum even exists until I post a photo in the art section or on some threads in "how does you avatar look today?" and so on.

I am not sure why I take breaks!

Does this happen to anyone else?

I hope I am not the only one to take breaks from SL forums!

Edited by Iggy UwU
Added more information and did some formatting!
  • Like 4

• Eggy UwU changed the title to Regarding the SL Forums: Breaks.
57 minutes ago, Iggy UwU said:

Hey there friends:

I find myself to sometimes forget that this forum even exists until I post a photo in the art section or on some threads in "how does you avatar look today?" and so on.

Taking a break is no shame! I’ve also cut down my time on the forums…I have a lot of RL things going on now, good and bad…and I’m still working from home, but getting more work dumped on me, so I can’t chill out on the forums or go down the park in the afternoon like I used to in 2020 and last year 🙁 …anyway, there are loads of people who take breaks…I was thinking of one of them after our prime minister disgraced himself again yesterday! 😣

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Iggy UwU said:

Hey there friends:

I take frequent short breaks from the forums too, and from Second Life itself, and was away for several years from around 2014 when it stopped being fun for a while. 

Real life always has to come first, always.

Also, think about your favourite food. If you had it served up for every meal time, you would want a break from that too (ice cream, lasagne, pizza, whatever!). 

A change is as good as a rest. 

• Like 3

I have had a few breaks from SL since I arrived last year. 

Heck, I'll probably go on one now as I'm making a backup account to my main OSgrid account at the moment via the Open Sim grids! But seriously, don't forget RL! Spring is here, up north... winter is coming down South (hemisphere wise, grab a penguin to play with LOL JK).

OK, bye!

• Like 2

I'm currently going through the same thing.  It's the same for me inworld too.  Partly due to my PC having "issues" and needing to buy a new one, and partly cos the thrill has gone.  I guess I have isolated myself so much that I find (apart from shopping....cos SHOPPING!) I really have no reason to log in that much anymore.

It was my rez day yesterday, and I didn't even remember.  

• Like 2

I took a long break from the forums but remained active in SL from about 2012 til whenever it was I came back to the forums a couple of years ago.  Then I took a break from SL from about July of 2020 that I guess I'm still on.  I login to SL about once a month or so now (used to log in daily for years and years).  I read the forums every couple of days or so now, more often if there's an interesting thread I'm following, less often when there's not.

• Like 4

I've taken both long and short breaks from the forums in the past. My shortest has been a few days and my longest has been four years if I'm remembering right. My last long break was this last year for about six months when I moved countries. I found I had no desire to really be on the forums even when my computer got set up so I didn't. Breaks can be a good thing.

• Like 3

The only time I took a break from the forums way back in late 2009 / early 2010 when they shut down the old Resident Answers and replaced it with some crappy software that was pretty much only question/answer with nowhere for real "discussions".  Even then, I did post a tiny bit, but not very much for sure.  I came back to the forums when they changed over to this current incarnation of the forums, though I don't remember when that was -- definitely multiple years ago though.

I've really only taken one break from inworld -- a fairly long one from roughly 2010 - 2017, I think it was.  I still logged in a few times a year, but definitely not daily or even monthly during that time.  Other than that, I have had times where I didn't do much inworld - due to apathy or boredom - but I still logged in almost every day.

• Like 4

I've taken forum breaks that have lasted months; I can't remember how long, but there were times it wasn't even on my radar.

With regard to SL, my husband and I were offworld the better part of a decade, from somewhere in 2009-2010 up through October of 2019.  I logged in less than once a year during that timespan.  Now that we've returned, we're pretty solidly back :)

• Like 2

I don't typically take a break from the forums because these are the only forums that I regular read & post to.  I don't do any of the social media crap -- FB, Instawhatever, Twitter, so on.  Thus these forums are my primary method of online socializing -- and I need that because I don't really socialize much in RL or inworld.

And it gives me something to do when I'm working but don't feel like actually working.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2022 at 10:25 PM, Iggy UwU said:

Hey there friends:

The people who need to take a break from the forums are the Lindens, or rather, the Moles, their contracted workers, who really ought to be deployed creating and managing content inworld. I'd much rather they get out and fix some roads and make some beautiful parks rather than remove posts here.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, Iggy UwU said:

Hey there friends:

I have two kinds of breaks:

One from secondlife -where I spend my time in opensim (on my own grid, or osgrid, or whatever). Sometimes I spend time in SL to get a break from opensim too.

Two from virtuality -I don't log in to SL, opensim, anywhere (even avoiding fb) instead doing other hobbies (geeky things with linux or emulators mostly)

What I don't do enough of and feel guilty for not cultivating...is turning off every last one of the devices and going outside (I live in Alaska. Cold and ice have limited appeal)

• Like 2

These were the second online forums I ever posted to in my whole life? (in 2009).
LL has gone to great lengths to make Le Fora quite a  pleasant place. (mostly).
There is the odd disagreement or misunderstanding between those who actually respect the space.
There will always be the small percentage of bored individuals with issues & tissues who deliberately
try and dominate everyone & everything, but on the whole, its a pleasant and informative place.

Take breaks from posting! I do.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.