Need Help From Experienced Scripters.. The More the Merrier

AkashaBlyce

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I am new to second life and trying to code in lsl. I am having some issues due to my inexperience. I wish to create a game in sl but don't know what needs to be done to make it function correctly. The biggest obstacle that is my main concern is the functionality of the gaming system. How can I make it so the game does what it is supposed to do and keeps track of the players stats, inventory... etc. I was asking around and was told i'd need a webserver si what webservers would be best for this. 

the best programming language is our own natural human language. English, French, etc

the best game design tool is the storyboard

create a storyboard with scene drawings/sketches, game activity flows. metrics, and so on.  Annotating these in our human language

when we complete this then we have built a comprehensive model for our game.  Given this model then the programming/scripting becomes an exercise in language translation, which is trivial to do, compared to designing and building the model

most game developments that fail, do so because the creator attempts to design/build the game model using a language they are not fluent in

Edited by Mollymews
failure
  • Like 4

I appreciate the replies i have gotten so far.

To Wulfie ReanimatorI am fairly new to lsl, I have messed around in other code but only know the basics. Currently I am going to classes in sl to learn to code in lsl.  i know that i am inexperienced but i was hoping that there was an external platform that is easy to connect that can manage the inventory for players for the game i wish to create.

To MollymewsThank you for sharing that. I have thought of how the game would work and I also felt that there may be somethings missing to my game or that there could be changes to make it better. I'll make sure to apply the knowledge you have shared with me to make my game better, this also has solved my problem of being able to explain my scripting needs to other scripters for help on scripting.

9 minutes ago, AkashaBlyce said:

I have thought of how the game would work and I also felt that there may be somethings missing to my game or that there could be changes to make it better

when a scripter has a game model to work with (a written description and/or drawing of how a particular component part/scene/activity is intended to work in the context of the game) then the scripter is better placed to make recommendations on how the component part can best be implemented

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AkashaBlyce said:

Hello, I am new to second life and trying to code in lsl. I am having some issues due to my inexperience. I wish to create a game in sl but don't know what needs to be done to make it function correctly. The biggest obstacle that is my main concern is the functionality of the gaming system. How can I make it so the game does what it is supposed to do and keeps track of the players stats, inventory... etc. I was asking around and was told i'd need a webserver si what webservers would be best for this. 

You probably want to start with some easier thing that uses remote storage like a simple "LSL DNS" to get a better idea what is involved.

I could say go with PHP, learn OOP and for database MySQL PDO. But that's the same as saying "take a +6 month course to become a web programmer".

Edited by bobsknief Orsini
  • Like 2

My 2cents are that you don't really need a database, Experience KVP works plenty well for simple backup, especially when the amounts of data are trivial (4096 characters per key = an item list of about 300~400 short item names, and more numbers than a player could possibly need, especially if you use basic conversion/compression)

It's not the most robust or 'correct' but

//when the player's HUD lands in region/teleports:
llReadKeyValue(prefix+":"+(string)llGetOwner()+":data");
// when something changes, (or on a timer):
llUpdateKeyValue(prefix+":"+(string)llGetOwner()+":data",llList2CSV(data),FALSE,"");

is plenty sufficient.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 846 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.