What is the skinny on slow loading mesh [avatar] clothes in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The integration of a choice of realistic looking avatars into the SL viewer is a useful feature for students and faculty in SL.  Still, when experimenting with the new mesh avatars, I was alarmed to see my avatar is typically naked for a while until her mesh clothes load.  Further, when I went to the recent Garden Show event, I saw a lot of naked avatars (and thought the lack of clothes might be some sort of role play or initiation activity!). 

I found a viewer setting for mesh clothes and set it on the highest setting but I still see naked avatars in public spaces.

• Are there any tips or tricks for speeding up the loading of mesh clothes (or are slow loading mesh avatar clothes just the price to be paid for the greater realism inherent in mesh avatars)?
  • Is it possible my first thought -- that some of the naked avatars I see in public places -- are on purpose?
  • Is it possible to find mesh avatars with under garments?

Note:  In my latest survey of student views on the use of virtual world meet-ups (and supplemental learning activities in virtual worlds), I was surprised by how many students prefer more realistic avatars (and now wonder how to break the news about the attendant slow loading avatar clothes).

890284356_AvatarComparisons.thumb.JPG.c7bb2b4b05429a76be37db8775ae328b.JPG

[Above] The Survey Question I Wish I Hadn't Asked (!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Kayako Mayako said:

The integration of a choice of realistic looking avatars into the SL viewer is a useful feature for students and faculty in SL.  Still, when experimenting with the new mesh avatars, I was alarmed to see my avatar is typically naked for a while until her mesh clothes load.  Further, when I went to the recent Garden Show event, I saw a lot of naked avatars (and thought the lack of clothes might be some sort of role play or initiation activity!). 

I found a viewer setting for mesh clothes and set it on the highest setting but I still see naked avatars in public spaces.

• Are there any tips or tricks for speeding up the loading of mesh clothes (or are slow loading mesh avatar clothes just the price to be paid for the greater realism inherent in mesh avatars)?
  • Is it possible my first thought -- that some of the naked avatars I see in public places -- are on purpose?
  • Is it possible to find mesh avatars with under garments?

Note:  In my latest survey of student views on the use of virtual world meet-ups (and supplemental learning activities in virtual worlds), I was surprised by how many students prefer more realistic avatars (and now wonder how to break the news about the attendant slow loading avatar clothes).

890284356_AvatarComparisons.thumb.JPG.c7bb2b4b05429a76be37db8775ae328b.JPG

[Above] The Survey Question I Wish I Hadn't Asked (!)

I think Linden Lab needs to make sure they have professional looks in their next release of new avatars.  Then you can toss all those old system avatars and use the Linden Lab default avatars instead. The default avatars might be naked under their clothes (I'm not sure), but they do not show any realistic details such as nipples or naughty parts. The default avatar clothing also loads pretty quickly, especially if multiple people are wearing the same avatars, so they're all loading the same textures.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
'cuz I'm nit-picky
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Kayako Mayako said:

The integration of a choice of realistic looking avatars .................

just a tip:  these general questions about performance and general issues are better asked in the GD or other dedicated sections. Post it in the Educational forums will bring that many don't even notice it.( as it's not Educational related)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.