Firestorm 6.5.3 Rejected by Windows Defender and Norton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A viewer popup notified me about the new 6.5.3 release so I downloaded it and started the install... first Windows Defender and then Norton complained that this executable file is suspect, which it likely is not.... but then I don't recall this issue with Firestorm previously and it is not beyond reason to think the Firestorm official download site has been hacked.  We are in times of heighten cyber security anxiety. So... I am just gonna wait until somebody gets their certificates straightened out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, diamond Marchant said:

it is not beyond reason to think the Firestorm official download site has been hacked.

just logical  .. if you see announcements and discussions everywhere about the new release .. would it be hacked? .. windows warns for lot of programs, if you know the source it's normally safe to download.
If you don't trust anything, unplug your electricity, it's not the source but the power that enables all misery.

• Thanks 1

This is what is called a false positive - many malware and anti-virus apps build up a list of known trusted apps that they refer to. As this is a new version of Firestorm it is not yet on that list so it flags the app up as potentially troublesome. As long as you downloaded from the official site for FS then no need to worry.

Have to echo what others have said - if you are using Windows Defender there is absolutely no reason to have Norton as well (especially as they charge for the thing). You are running two file scanners on your system and that will impact performance.

Edited by Colt Leeder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Norton is garbage. No other program has ever allowed THREE viruses to get passed them. Norton did. Norton almost cost me a computer. If I hadn't installed another program to do what Norton should have been doing, I would have lost that pc.

Same boat .. and that was back when Norton was actually good and hadn't adopted the McAfee stochastic terrorism model to keep people subscribed.

9 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

A viewer popup notified me about the new 6.5.3 release so I downloaded it and started the install... first Windows Defender and then Norton complained that this executable file is suspect, which it likely is not.... but then I don't recall this issue with Firestorm previously and it is not beyond reason to think the Firestorm official download site has been hacked.  We are in times of heighten cyber security anxiety. So... I am just gonna wait until somebody gets their certificates straightened out.

Unknown applications are analyzed on a "reputation" based model .. If a lot of people have told the AV to get out the way, then the application must be fine and it will then be allowed everywhere.

It's almost like they couldn't identify an actual evil program if you gave it to them with a sticker and name badge .. why are you subscribed to them again? Did it come with your PC? You know Windows has a built in antivirus and it will take over the moment you uninstall Norton.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Same boat .. and that was back when Norton was actually good and hadn't adopted the McAfee stochastic terrorism model to keep people subscribed.

Unknown applications are analyzed on a "reputation" based model .. If a lot of people have told the AV to get out the way, then the application must be fine and it will then be allowed everywhere.

It's almost like they couldn't identify an actual evil program if you gave it to them with a sticker and name badge .. why are you subscribed to them again? Did it come with your PC? You know Windows has a built in antivirus and it will take over the moment you uninstall Norton.

The pc I'm using now came with it. I immediately uninstalled Norton. Damn thing is STILL telling me what websites are safe. They have no way of being able to charge me for the service so if they want to keep providing me with a free service I don't really mind. At least it isn't still annoying me with false positives I know are false positives. Like when I update FS.

• Like 1

It was Microsoft Defender SmartScreen that gave me a popup. Norton disables the antivirus part of Defender but leaves SmartScreen running. Norton and SmartScreen are said to play well together... so the Norton community advises against manually disabling SmartScreen.

I have issues with Norton as well and may dump it in a BelliBin.

3 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

It was Microsoft Defender SmartScreen that gave me a popup. Norton disables the antivirus part of Defender but leaves SmartScreen running. Norton and SmartScreen are said to play well together... so the Norton community advises against manually disabling SmartScreen.

I have issues with Norton as well and may dump it in a BelliBin.

Norton is playing the "protect it's own ass game" because they alreayd know, their product is a scam and they dot not want MS taking all their bread,   so half the world using norton is fooled into believing nortons lie.  

• Like 3

ok i see a lot of ppl have a issues on the topic of windows DF and Norten not letting you download the firestorm. ok this is a work around download it throw chrome it will not be Flag. Norton will not see it throw chrome run the EXE file on the desktop it will be flag by windows DF show  in the pop up window show more it will say run anyways if by any Chanes Norton see it shut off Norton for a min and try again. 

thank you and good luck 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Try there was NO warning whatsoever.

My Windows Defender flagged it. I just clicked Advanced > Run Anyway and forged ahead. No problems after that. (I used the Firefox browser to download)

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

My Windows Defender flagged it. I just clicked Advanced > Run Anyway and forged ahead. No problems after that. (I used the Firefox browser to download)

Defender isn't Norton. lol Norton didn't warn me it let three viruses onto my computer until AFTER the program I installed detected the viruses. Defender didn't exist at the time. I will never trust Norton again.

• Like 2

well if you really want to know why your virus software rejects Firestorm, it's because it uses a tracking program to keep tabs on your system so when the Norton or defender handsakes your copy of Firestorm it picks it up and stops it, but no fear, it a passive program and is not meant to harm your computer, but some virus programs can't relate to the difference between passive and attacking programs.

• Haha 2

On 3/22/2022 at 12:43 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Come on, look at the smile on that guy, how can you not trust him with your computers safety?

mcafee.thumb.jpg.1980a815f17c4715e25af1ec841164f5.jpg

(Picture is McAfee founder, before he commited suicide in jail)

5 hours ago, Gordon Millar said:

well if you really want to know why your virus software rejects Firestorm, it's because it uses a tracking program to keep tabs on your system so when the Norton or defender handsakes your copy of Firestorm it picks it up and stops it, but no fear, it a passive program and is not meant to harm your computer, but some virus programs can't relate to the difference between passive and attacking programs.

This is entirely false. 

The AV software sees a "new" executable and pokes the servers. The servers say "no idea", so it gets blocked, the user then installs it anyway and the AV software tells the servers they did.

When enough people have installed firestorm, the AV software servers update their records to "safe" and people stop getting the warning.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

Hi @Angelica Bovarro

Let us see your system details. Open your viewer (and log in, if you can). Go to your viewer's top bar menus: -

Help -> About [viewer name]

and copy/paste everything on that page to a post here. That will enable us to know what we're dealing with, and can often reveal some of the usual suspects.

Firestorm 6.6.3 (67470) Aug 27 2022 18:30:00 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 180.2, 110.0, 23.0 in Parchment located at simhost-04bfdde6303696b03.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Parchment/180/110/23
(global coordinates 261,300.0, 132,462.0, 23.0)
Second Life Server 2022-10-07.575585
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500                                (3593.26 MHz)
Memory: 8042 MB
Concurrency: 12
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 11 64-bit (Build 22621.755)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) RX 6500 XT
Graphics Card Memory: 7844 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 31.0.12019.9007
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 Compatibility Profile Context 22.8.2.220819

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.11.zlib-ng nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.07
Dullahan: 1.12.3.202111032221
  CEF: 91.1.21+g9dd45fe+chromium-91.0.4472.114
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.114
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327

Settings mode: Phoenix
Viewer Skin: Vintage (Classic)
Window size: 1920x1009 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1500 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: High-Ultra (6/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: Yes
Texture memory: Dynamic (512 MB min / 10% Cache / 10% VRAM)
Disk cache: Max size 2048.0 MB (4.5% used)
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 0/5,051 (0.0%)
November 10 2022 05:24:23 SLT

Thanks @Angelica Bovarro

Nothing looks bad there to me, so now it's probably time to have a good check of your router. SL tends to be very sensitive to time-outs and this might be what is causing your problems.

Start with a proper power-cycle of your router; turn the power to it off for at least a couple of minutes, then restart it.

If that doesn't improve things, if you use a WiFi connection, try a cable connection directly to your router.

Let us know how things are after all that.

PS:

Is 8MB enough for Windows 11? I haven't adopted W11 yet, so not sure. 8MB is a bit on the tight side for Windows 10 but I wouldn't expect that to cause crashes. Maybe a bit slow on performance but not crashing.

Somebody on this forum will know, I'm sure.

Edited by Odaks
addition

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.