Groups and deactivating

JusJohnny

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If by deactivated you mean account closed out ...

I would imagine it is the same as when an account is banned or caught in one of the rare inactive account cleanups: If they're still in any groups, they become a phantom - part of the member and role counts but invisible and unable to be removed.

ETA: In case it comes up - I know this from personal experience in managing two groups whose membership contains such phantoms among the proper members.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JusJohnny said:

If someone deactivated

Do mean "someone left SL and closed the account"?  If so, then yes, the person will disappear from any groups.  If you meant something else, then probably not.  If someone simply walked away from SL and didn't close the account, for example, LL will assume that she's on vacation and planning to return some time.

EDIT:   What Solar said ^^  ;)

Edited by Rolig Loon

I appreciate the reply's and it's what I had suspected.  I noticed 2 days after they had been away that they weren't online, because some groups do show dates, and their profile from the SL homepage, via my friends list showed them as "user name not available" or something.  Now the person has returned and is IN my personal land group again showing as a member.  I'm expecting the web page based friends list profile to reappear in a day at 12SL, like it had disappeared 2 days after the deactivation.

I'm asking this because I'm being told they didn't deactivate :/.  My gut says otherwise.

I think she's embarrassed to admit it, so idk if I should bring it up.  I'm glad she's back.  Don't care for the fib though.

Edited by JusJohnny
elaboration of thought
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JusJohnny said:

I appreciate the reply's and it's what I had suspected.  I noticed 2 days after they had been away that they weren't online, because some groups do show dates, and their profile from the SL homepage, via my friends list showed them as "user name not available" or something.  Now the person has returned and is IN my personal land group again showing as a member.  I'm expecting the web page based friends list profile to reappear in a day at 12SL, like it had disappeared 2 days after the deactivation.

I'm asking this because I'm being told they didn't deactivate :/.  My gut says otherwise.

I think she's embarrassed to admit it, so idk if I should bring it up.  I'm glad she's back.  Don't care for the fib though.

I've actually had friends who show as 'user name unavailable' on my Mysecondlife website.  I know they haven't deactivated their account nor are they banned.  I've seen and talked to them when 'unavailable' has shown.  Glitch?

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JusJohnny said:

Don't bring it up.

• Like 2

My issue is the fact that I belong to a few groups that at one point I was appointed as a secondary owner years ago as I'm a builder/landscaper/terraformer, and at that one or two points of my Second Life, helped manage and build their groups and/or their businesses, and populate their lands. At current state, and this had been an issue for several months now, as I've just accepted that there wasn't really an explanation to resolve this, actually it was more like I gave up for a bit out of frustration. I began to do some research again into this problem I've been having, and came across this blog in hopes someone could point me into the right direction, and/or provide me with some information to resolve this dilemma I'm having. At the current state, I cannot disband, nor leave the two groups due to this. One group pertaining to an old club profile which hasn't been operational for years now. So, the fellow who had created the group isn't responding to me upon disbandment of the group and/or removing my ownership title to leave the group. The other had been an Old Township group that the original creator of that said group has clarified to me on various places i.e. discord and messenger that they are unable to return to Second life on their original account to disband and has shown documentation or emails regarding their account being banned and removed, so they are unable to kick or remove my ownership title from the original group. What I needed to know is how could, or should I say, who do I need to contact in order to get this resolved, as I don't wish to remain in groups I don't have any affiliation to, or wish to remain a populace in.

Unless I am missing a beat somewhere ...

A Group is automatically disbanded after a set time when the membership falls below a threshold - only one user left in it if I remember rightly.

So for that at the least, all that is needed is to remove everyone else from the defunct Group, then leave yourself. at that point there would only be the one user left and the timer would initiate.

As for leaving a group ... you can always leave a group as long as there are other members/someone is in a role higher than "everyone".

That is my issue, I cannot do anything in those said groups, or the capability of being able to remove anyone and/or disband from those groups. I'm "unable to leave group" or thats the popup message I have when I attempt to leave those groups because technically I've been delegated as the only owner, even though both people who had created those groups, one being permanently banned, and the other left the group and/or will not disband the group, I am stuck with them. I don't have any of the opportunities to remove members and disband them from that said group, as everything is greyed out for me to do so. So no, i would had been wonderful if those who get banned their groups are suspended with an option to dissolve if the original creator had been banned, or at least the new owner to gain ownership of that said group.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Unless I am missing a beat somewhere ...

A Group is automatically disbanded after a set time when the membership falls below a threshold - only one user left in it if I remember rightly.

So for that at the least, all that is needed is to remove everyone else from the defunct Group, then leave yourself. at that point there would only be the one user left and the timer would initiate.

As for leaving a group ... you can always leave a group as long as there are other members/someone is in a role higher than "everyone".

This is how I assumed it worked as well.  I was the last one in a group I started.  It remained so for YEARS.   I don't recall if it counted against my group limit as it's an avatar I don't use.  Every time I logged her in, I'd see that group and try to leave.  Nope, it kept saying I couldn't.  Eventually, it disappeared.  Glitch, maybe?

1 hour ago, Foron said:

That is my issue, I cannot do anything in those said groups, or the capability of being able to remove anyone and/or disband from those groups. I'm "unable to leave group" or thats the popup message I have when I attempt to leave those groups because technically I've been delegated as the only owner, even though both people who had created those groups, one being permanently banned, and the other left the group and/or will not disband the group, I am stuck with them. I don't have any of the opportunities to remove members and disband them from that said group, as everything is greyed out for me to do so. So no, i would had been wonderful if those who get banned their groups are suspended with an option to dissolve if the original creator had been banned, or at least the new owner to gain ownership of that said group.

Normally, the easiest way would be to just promote someone else to the Owner role, so you could then leave. If you can't do that, you'll need to contact Support to see what they can do to help. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.