Second Life at SXSW.

animats

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

As someone pointed out - in one of these threads - it does have the SL official symbol, which I'm pretty sure implies that LL approved it.  Though I supposed they could be in the process of having it taken down on Flickr and The Austin Chronicle and wherever else it might be now.

It uses the old logo that was retired in 2020, and the fan art version on Flickr also has the logo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

It uses the old logo that was retired in 2020, and the fan art version on Flickr also has the logo.

I had forgotten that they switched the official over to blue.  Aren't all of their previous logos still protected and can't be used without authorization?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Aeromia said:

I'm trying to find the video making of, but that log in promo is a photo of a live action person for a recent promotional video they did. That's not an avatar. They used live action and effects to promote virtual reality. It was really an odd choice.

I know but it sure beats that pic above, IMO.  Didn't really care for the promo and still wonder why they didn't use avatars and items actually available in SL.  

Again, it makes me wonder just how out of touch LL is with their very own user base and how they use their product.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Aren't all of their previous logos still protected and can't be used without authorization?

Trademark and copyright law are not that strong. There's a parody exception to copyright law, and trademark law does not protect editorial and comparative uses. LL may try to ask for more than that in their terms of service, but that may be overreach under the 2016 Consumer Review Fairness Act. That act prohibits trying to punish a customer for comments, negative or otherwise, or even putting a threat to do so in the terms of service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2022 at 3:13 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Again, it makes me wonder just how out of touch LL is with their very own user base and how they use their product.

Extremely. 

There are a few Linden's who do play SL recreationally, shop, play dress up, decorate Lindy homes, rez prims, make a mess and the like.

There are far more who made an avatar a decade ago and haven't changed in since, and a few very notable decision making / influential Linden's who don't even manage to dress themselves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Linden Lab is clearly aiming to get a piece of the Metaverse dream action, that is hot again at the moment. Otherwise they would not send Philip out to promote I guess.
How can that ever be, if you don't even address basic stuff that is broken swiftly, like friendship requests or group chat?
Why not bringing in world building tools more up to par?
Why not making the Barbie\Ken dress up stuff less complicated by developing a new and uniform avatar system?
Nobody wants to attend classes or beg around on forums to get help, just to change underwear or a head.
These are basics for a virtual world platform. Not 25 different shades of sky and water.

As long as these things ain't seriously addressed SL is dead in the water for participating in a Metaverse.
New people that come in to test the waters when lured in, will leave faster then the time it took them to sign up.
SL is even more complicated and has a way steeper learning curve than when I started 15 years ago. A nice example of heading in the wrong direction.

Is there really nobody at the Lab in the right decision making positions wondering why?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

SL is even more complicated and has a way steeper learning curve than when I started 15 years ago. A nice example of heading in the wrong direction.

This is what happens when there is no direction and the free market (fad and fashion) are left to decide things.

• Like 2

On 3/19/2022 at 9:19 PM, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I think that's a stab at Freakbook and Mr. Zuck.

I agree! I just meant, I hate the phrase “How adorable” 🤨 It’s so condescending and snarky…someone used it when me and a few friends were talking about something we were into, in the context we were so dumb and her thing was better…but it didn’t make us think “Oh wow, she’s right”…more like “Let’s go somewhere else”…just a pet peeve of mine 👎 I also hate it when people ask you your opinion and then say “Indulge me”  🤢

The rest of it's fine, though I personally find the picture a bit naff...

Maybe some jokes about "SL still having legs" would work? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 2

Um ... howdy, y'all.

*waves goofily*

So, I'm the person who wrote that article.

Because I occasionally write articles about SL for the Austin Chronicle – usually when there's some SL component at SXSW – because the Chronicle people started that media maelstrom of a festival back in 1984 & now the damned thing pretty much takes over the city (and our editorial coverage) every year.

And I've been a resident of Second Life since 2005 & it pleases me to promote this place of ours whenever the old dayjob allows. 

And I used that poster because I love the way it looks & I love how it's an audacious rejoinder to Zuckerberg's pathetic "Metaverse" idea & all the sudden frothing wannabes trying to ride those tawdry coattails. Also because the poster was created (weeks earlier) by my wildly talented friend Angie Pearse (that's her in the bondage gear), and she's just ... *sigh* ... well, she's the cat's whiskers, is what she is. ❤️

Linden Lab, to be sure, had nothing to do with the image or my use of it.

Edited by Memory Harker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, Memory Harker said:

Um ... howdy, y'all.

*waves goofily*

So, I'm the person who wrote that article.

Because I occasionally write articles about SL for the Austin Chronicle – usually when there's some SL component at SXSW – because the Chronicle people started that media maelstrom of a festival back in 1984 & now the damned thing pretty much takes over the city (and our editorial coverage) every year.

And I've been a resident of Second Life since 2005 & it pleases me to promote this place of ours whenever the old dayjob allows. 

And I used that poster because I love the way it looks & I love how it's an audacious rejoinder to Zuckerberg's pathetic "Metaverse" idea & all the sudden frothing wannabes trying to ride those tawdry coattails. Also because the poster was created by my wildly talented friend Angie Pearse (that's her in the bondage gear), and she's just ... *sigh* ... she's the cat's whiskers, is what she is. ❤️

Linden Lab, to be sure, had nothing to do with the image or my use of it.

Hi Memory! Fancy seeing you here! 🙂

Thanks! This explains a great deal!

It IS a really cool image (I am 90% certain I own that pose, and that riding crop!), and I think we'll all agree that differentiating SL from the Blandness that is FB and Zuckerberg's "Metaverse" is a good thing. Also, that highlighting the capacity of SL to enable very different, diverse, and occasionally edgy identity-creation and play is certainly a pretty good thing. I think most of the criticism here has related to context.

But if this is not, in fact, LL's poster, that context changes -- anyone has of course the right to highlight those aspects of the platform with which they most comfortably connect. It's not the way I'd have gone . . . but I didn't write the article.

Which, of course, I now have to locate and read, because that context is important too.

Anyway . . . *waves*

• Like 4

On 3/18/2022 at 11:46 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

I think that image might have worked better if the woman had been facing away, looking back at us over her shoulder, with "Bite Me" tattooed on her bum.

Or back off haters ? 

On 3/18/2022 at 3:39 AM, animats said:

Angie_Pearse_Poster.jpg

So Philip Rosedale went to SXSW. (Which is like Davos for hipsters in tech.)

Where there was, of course, a panel about the Metaverse.

“No advertising!” exclaimed Rosedale. Yes, that’s the proper dialogue tag: The man was emphatic on that point, like a sort of handsome, more stylish Bernie Sanders. “I cannot say that enough – no advertising!”

Good panel. They had Charlie Fink, who used to head Disney Feature Animation, someone from Epic, and someone from Ready Player Me, the avatar and clothing company. Nobody from NFT land.

Anybody from LL speaking at GDC next week?

Very rare photo...

I'm old enough to remember when Twitter, which actually came AFTER Second Life, was launched at SXSW and when Scoble, who never goes any more, reigned supreme.

Do they still have the free Coke and stuff?

FJbaTpJWYAYrB6A.jpg

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/18/2022 at 3:43 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Um, that poster was part of the PR material?

It's kinda funny and cute (good pic, actually), but it rather reinforces a few stereotypes about the platform, doesn't it?

I saw that poster on Twitter months ago by an SL resident first and made an imitation myself. Not sure LL is involved at all in that. Do some reverse image search work etc. or ask them?

UPDATE: Oh, it's Memory Harker and her friend putting it out, of course, I remember her back in the day and of course that was Angie first on Twitter and I copycatted her with a different kind of SL, in a yurt, in a Belli home as it happens with a tea set I made, and yes, I need to work at getting my hand not to pierce through the saucer.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

There's a whole advertising campaign in this. Not to the general public, but in the industry trade press and forums. That same copy, overlaid on good SL screenshots. Post that everywhere someone announces yet another metaverse.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.