Tips to organize inventory

rOrii Wylder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I work with saved outfits. BoM makes this so much easier than appliers. Right now I have around 230 saved outfits in my main avi. The main theme of each outfit is in the title. I also have a Wordfile which has a bit more detail.

My main inventory categories are the usual stuff. Avi, hair, clothes, shoes, jewellery, cosmetics, then all the other misc stuff, with sub categories.

I also keep a deliveries folder with the same sub folders where I keep all my opened boxes. Some of these add as shopping bags which can be useful, and also for a quick redelivery.

Using saved outfits means that I can flip easily between outfits with one click.

Well that lasted all of a few months for me!

Rant time!!!!

From what I can see, LL has "fixed" a "bug" that allowed users to create sub-folders in their Outfits folder. In other words, taken away the ability to create sub-folders to organize clothing so that if you haven't created sub-folders previously your Outfits folder will now be one long list of outfits. And perhaps worse? Even newly created outfits can not be moved into previously created folders.

That has to be one of the stupidest UX decisions I've seen (in what is arguably not the best UI to begin with) and appears to affect all viewers. I use Firestorm and now can't organize by subfolders anymore.

LL? I'm a pretty chill mid-30s gal, but seriously -- what the sweet hell?

This is roughly equivalent to Windows or macOS removing the ability to create directories/folders in your Documents folder and forcing you to dump  hundreds if not thousands of outfits just in a heap in the directory.

Is is just me, or does anyone else find this utterly maddening?

Edited by Kate Ayashi
  • Confused 1

Well... definitely annoying.

When we first got outfits I started making sub-folders. Problem is they never showed in the Appearance Panel in Firestorm or SL Default viewers.

Looking in the Inventory Panel's Outfits folder I find the sub-folders I created long ago are still there. However, I can't make new folders or cheat and move folders created else where into Outfits.

image.png.ae1722327ee62ed6d5d0488ba9279114.png  image.png.f8773b6b47d6cef0ccda031964eee8f0.png

Inventory & Appearance

Why they did not use the same folder & sub-folder system as is in the Inventory panel is beyond me.

You can see I have forced styles of outfits to sort so they are together. In these images I added the word 'Asian' to all the outfits I would like to have in the "Asian' folder. Since putting them in the Asian folder did me no good. Otherwise, all my 2014 outfits would have sorted together in the Appearance panel regardless of what folder I put them in the Inventory Panel.

I did go through and move all the outfits in sub-solders into the main Outfits folder. That is a flaky process. The Ctrl-x (move) command only partially works in Firestorm. It does a Copy and then I go back and delete the copy left behind.

My inventory is pretty well organized (IMO)

• Body Parts folder broken down to heads/bodies/hair/eyes/ears/etc...
  • Clothes Folder broken down to pants/tops/shoes/jewelry/with sub folders of different types of particular tops & pants etc.
  • Objects holds all my houses/house decor/vehicles which are all categorized in their different folders.

And I use the "!" to push the folder to the top of the tree like most posted here.

For Outfits saved I'm pretty descriptive with year+body version+head version+skin+outfit  (outfits with older versions eventually get delete if I dont feel like updating them) 

One thing that has help me shopping is the Catznip Viewer. It allows you to send objects to a specific folders and you can create rules in doing so. Examples:

When shopping at an events, I can send the purchase to !! SHOPPING folder and inside that it would create "year+sim name" folder with the purchase, it keeps them all group together even if I make several purchases over a few days. For FLF purchases they would go in the !! FLF folder with month/day subfolder....

In the end this REALLY help preventing my root folder from getting cluttered with boxes/demos/unpackings...

• Like 1

Like others said, I try and sort out things into the existing folders and other ones I add. Clothes go in the clothing folder. stuff like hair and body parts goes in there. Buildings go in a building folder. In an ideal world, there would be nothing in my Objects folder or in root that isn't a category folder. So if I buy something, it gets opened and sorted. I'll let you decide how successful that it. When it comes to clothes, I've been trying a few things, and one is to sort clothes into what I would/am wearing (like, in an outfit) and what I wouldn't wear. I am 1. a hoarder, and 2. a roleplayer, so I don't delete things I wouldn't wear because maybe I would wear them later, or maybe I'm building a character that would. It lets me look from time to time and see if I still like what I'm wearing and if I've worn it in a while. Sometimes you outgrow clothes you used to like.

Nothing really special in how I sort. I really need to spend a week cleaning things out though. Advent calendars and events are baaaaaaaaaaad and my inventory is a huge mess right now.

• Like 2

I unpack with multiple inventory windows open. One window will be set for 'recent' so unpacked items are easier to find and sort.

I am also trying to deal with a terrible 'freebie' addiction by asking myself "do I need this?" before taking gifts. (But you can never have too many earrings or candles, right?)

I periodically set 'sorting times' and try to sort by category. Setting one inventory window to 'sort by name' can help you find duplicates.

When items come in a folder whose name has nothing to do with the contents, I try to rename it ("Gift from 'Barbi Shopkeeper'" becomes "Ugly sweater with HUD that doesn't fit any of your bodies but you might get that body in future")

I accept that I am a hoarder.

I would love to see a way developed that could organise our inventory when logged into account but not necessarily into a viewer. Mine has exploded. I would also like to see a filter for when the items were actually purchased. Once upon a time, I was loath to update what I decorated with. Now I am slowly replacing those love old items with compatible low prim mesh items. I send the old that can be sent to my inventory sim archivist account - just in case :) . I would love to organise the old and the new plus categorise items out of viewer, but logged into my net avatar account - via the Dashboard. I would like my time in SL to be devoted to the events I attend and to build when I need to build. Currently it is big time need for build. No idea if this will ever be possible. From my ancient memory in SL, once upon a time this was possible but I think that possibility disappeared.

I am an organisation freak and was organised once but not that much these days as it takes up the time I want to enjoy when in SL. Organisation out of sim, I could do while watching my programs online or even videos

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.