What's the best way to let someone know their avatar's hands are too small?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Glad to see a few people pointing out that sometimes unrealistic proportions are deliberate. I've come to the realization that, personally, I'm not great at perfect proportions, and my attempts tend to look worse for being just slightly off. What's more, most "proportional" Maitreya shapes for sale make assumptions about what I want out of my figure that aren't correct (ie, adding a lot of curves).

So, I have a shape that's more or less deliberately on the lanky and long-limbed side, to evoke anime and/or elven ambiguous figures. Yes, my legs are super long and thin - I promise that's the point! You don't need to point it out!

That said, I at least make sure my arms are also pretty long. Gotta be able to put on my boots...

• Like 4

On 3/16/2022 at 12:11 PM, Bree Giffen said:

My first thought would be to give them a set of no-modify utensils sized for normal hands and they will have to make their hands bigger when they use it.

Another idea would be to point out other avatars with normal sized hands and mention that they look handsome or beautiful.

Does anyone have some good ideas they want to share?

Back when I was still in my first year in SL, one of my friends just flat-out IM'd me and said "Ajay, you have baby hands; move the slider up" lol

I think you can tell them if you're friends... with strangers, eh... whatever.  I'm not responsible for the proportions of the entire grid :)

• Like 3

As an artist myself, I get these OCD feelings when I see someone with hands that are too small. But, I'm also considerate of others and it's not nice to just bluntly tell strangers or even friends that they are out of proportion.

I thought of some other ways to bring up the topic with someone. 

Make your own hands noticeably smaller. Now you can both make your hands larger!

Make a forum thread about What's the best way to let someone know their avatars hands are too small.

Make a one-time alt and let your alt tell them about their hands.

• Haha 2

Just now, Bree Giffen said:

As an artist myself, I get these OCD feelings when I see someone with hands that are too small. But, I'm also considerate of others and it's not nice to just bluntly tell strangers or even friends that they are out of proportion.

If you think your feelings about hand size are disordered, why inflict them on anyone else?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you think your feelings about hand size are disordered, why inflict them on anyone else?

Which is why I am asking for the best way to inflict my feelings upon them in the nicest way possible. 

Christonabike Second Life really has stopped being fun when people are nit-picking about the size of someone's hands. 

I personally absolutely detest the pointed fingernails look, but as I don't have to wear them, it's not a big deal, and if other people want swathes of tattoos all over their body, good for them, but not for me. Why have people in Second Life become so 

vain

vacuous

a n a l

busybodying about other people's hands, eyebrows, arses, etc., anyway. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Christonabike Second Life really has stopped being fun when people are nit-picking about the size of someone's hands. 

I personally absolutely detest the pointed fingernails look, but as I don't have to wear them, it's not a big deal, and if other people want swathes of tattoos all over their body, good for them, but not for me. Why have people in Second Life become so 

vain

vacuous

a n a l

busybodying about other people's hands, eyebrows, arses, etc., anyway. 

I think we criticize others when we're unhappy about something in ourselves.

• Like 3

Ok ok, i'll cave in. i'll make my hands bigger. You've made your point :( 

;) 

I often get the comment that my chest is too small, that i'm in SL and can easily have bigger ones. How about that? :) 

Edited by CaithLynnSayes
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

One can be all kinds of everything in Second life: monster, gorilla, elf, horse, root beer bottle with a lamp shade head, alien, wolf, tiger, you name it.
But if you choose to be a human avatar, make it look like a human, by using human dimensions.
Keep working between the lines given by the human body shape.
Or are we growing towards an exclusive non human but vaguely human based SL species?

Edited by Sid Nagy

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

One can be all kinds of everything in Second life: monster, gorilla, elf, horse, root beer bottle with a lamp shade head, alien, wolf, tiger, you name it.
But if you choose to be a human avatar, make it look like a human, by using human dimensions.
Keep working between the lines given by the human body shape.
Or are we growing towards an exclusive non human but vaguely human based SL species?

Personally I really like the "stylized avatar" look but, as any character designer will tell you, to design stylized characters you first have to have a thorough understanding of realistic human proportions in order to know how far you can push certain features, without that knowledge you're more likely to end up with something that just looks deformed rather than stylized.

There are some really great stylized avatars wandering around the grid though, and I've seen a few that look like they stepped straight out of a Haitao Su illustration.

casper-beauty-vs-aliens-1-d99f3363-jtxk.thumb.jpg.91ec54e29304ef9099cc082460b566d2.jpgcasper-twins-1-53bb2191-z4p6.thumb.jpg.3fbfcb2475eb3fcc85211ab7dfa264dd.jpg 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Which is why I am asking for the best way to inflict my feelings upon them in the nicest way possible. 

Another possible avenue in getting the word out is to pass this MP item out like tracts to whoever you think it might be useful to: 

proportionguide.jpg?1399013213

Link

Ok sorry, it is no Transfer but still can advertise the link as well as Penny's blogspot

Edited by Arielle Popstar
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2022 at 4:27 AM, Krystina Ferraris said:

the owner wonders why the poor animal is hurting under the saddle or “no longer forward as he used to”. One look at the owner and I can see their arm is twice my leg’s circumference.

Put the blame on the animal, thusly: "Madam, that horse is too small for you."

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
17 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

*hides her hands

I feel called out! 😂

42de19e35dbc373b70ca61a44c1db174.jpg

You both wear your own look extremely well. I was just generalising, and I think when we criticise other people it's because we're projecting how we'd feel about having sharp talons (or small hands). I am averse to anything that I could potentially gouge my own eyes out with.

Take a look at me in Second Life and real life, and ignore my opinion and rants. I'm just being a grumpy drawers, BUT if anyone criticises any part of me to my face I will tell them in no uncertain terms to f*ck off.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Another possible avenue in getting the word out is to pass this MP item out like tracts to whoever you think it might be useful to: 

proportionguide.jpg?1399013213

Link

Ok sorry, it is no Transfer but still can advertise the link as well as Penny's blogspot

(Are their hands in proportion?)

A n a l

all women are not the same.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

You both wear your own look extremely well. I was just generalising, and I think when we criticise other people it's because we're projecting how we'd feel about having sharp talons (or small hands). I am averse to anything that I could potentially gouge my own eyes out with.

Take a look at me in Second Life and real life, and ignore my opinion and rants. I'm just being a grumpy drawers, BUT if anyone criticises any part of me to my face I will tell them in no uncertain terms to f*ck off.

I promise never to poke you in the eye!  The nails that make me cringe are the really really long ones that curve.  Seriously, all I can think is the damage they could case when using the toilet.  😆😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Lol don't worry, I was fully teasing. I know you're very much a live and let live sort of person. I just couldn't resist being a brat about it. 😂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 757 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.