I need some help with fixing up my friend's avatar for SL

dragonfriend915

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to help my friend get into secondlife, but he has a custom avatar he made for Vrchat- I'm willing to do the upload for him to make the process smooth and get it all organized as a working avatar, but I don't know how to rig it right and fix it so it is rigged right. The second problem is he's japanese, and only understands a little bit of english, but enough to get by in conversations. 

I've tried manually removing the tail in blender so I can put it into the game, and all I still get is "Model has an unknown joint(s)" and "LOD Model has no parent"

We've tried renaming the bones, adn I'm not sure what bone is or is not needed. 

I can't hide the logging process in a spoiler so I am just gonna post a link to part of it, and hold onto the log for later when it fully needs to be fixed. L3rpqBR.pnghUE5IHk.png

You need to use the standard SL armature. Since you're using Blender, try the Bento Female-2017 or Bento Angel-2017 .blend files from https://www.avalab.org/avatar-workbench/. You can also find 2016 .dae files for import from LL at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Project_Bento_Resources_and_Information butthe bones probably won't all visually connect right. You can move the bones but not change their parents or add any.

You will need to check the "include joint positions" option when you upload, and possibly "lock scale if joint position defined" too. The second option prevents shape sliders from interacting poorly with your custom armature -- but it does that by disabling some.

You absolutely want to upload to the Aditi beta grid so you're not spending real Lindens to test for errors!

Aaaaaand there are plenty of idiosynchrasies to watch for.

No vertex can be weighted to more than 4 bones and you can't have more than 110 animation weight groups in one object. Delete (or otherwise get rid of) any bones you aren't going to use. There are more than 110 bones in the full Bento skeleton, so you can't use them all for a single full-body mesh.

Think a lot about how you're going to rig the face. There are no system standard facial animations, and conventional market animations for common human Bento heads probably won't be compatible. So you could need to make all your own.

Use the ankle bones for the feet and the foot bones for the toes. Don't use the toe bones.

mSkull is historically unused too.

Use either the main eye bones (if you want the avatar's eyes to behave entirely like system eyes) or the alternate eye bones (if you want the eyes to be under full animation control).

Set your physics mesh to a cube or single triangle. The physics mesh of an avatar isn't used by SL but it still needs to have one, so make it simple to keep the LI and upload costs low.

Probably lots more than I can recall off the top of my head. :(

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 862 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.