Is it possible to extrude a flat shape to a sculpty?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it possible to take a flat shape such as the letter T draw it flat then extrude it outward to form a sculpty. like the extrude function of autocad. Or maybe a program where i can import and image flat of the example of the T in the background of the workspace and then plot points of the sculpty over top of it. what program would you use to do this.

What im trying to achieve is extracting non primitive shapes from flat to outward giving it some thickness versus using and alpha with no thickness hopefully this makes sense.

actually it does exactly what i want but there is a problem. the poles are automatically placed on the face of your object instead of the sides how the heck am i supposed to texture the face of the sculpty with the horrifically blurred spiraling texture on both faces. if the poles where on the side of the shape it would be fine

Yeah I've not tried to texture anything with made with those two.

I use sculpt crafter to make my sculpties - but that's likely not at all what you want. It makes them by stacking prims inworld and then converting the arraignment to a sculpty map. The benefit though is that once you get used to it you can sort of predict wich faces will be easier to texture - and move prims around so the parts that you want detail on with get the 'good' faces.

You can't actually extrude faces without changing the geometry of the sculpty, making it unusuable.  You can certainly stretch any sculpty grid, however. If you want a 2D final product, start with a simple planar form and stretch the top couple of rows to make the top of the T and squish the rest toward the middle to make the vertical.  If you want a 3D version, I'd suggest starting with a cylinder, closing the ends, flattening it along the Y axis and then doing the same sort of stretching and squishing that you would have done with a planar figure.  The two poles of your T will be along its rather thin top and bottom edges, where they won't cause much trouble with texturing.

You can do either of those options easily in Blender (which is free) and shouldn't have much trouble doing it in any other program that can shape sculpties.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.