Happy International Women's Day

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

International Women's Day is a Soviet holiday. The arguments about its predecessor in the US is really quite contrived; it had no real life and traction except in the Soviet Union for decades; the UN then picked it up; then Hillary Clinton blessed it and Obama went for it.

This year, I noticed no Soviet-era males I know were making these congratulations they normally do on Facebook pages with kitschy flower gifs. Because the war in Ukraine drove that nonsense right out of their minds. Still, a few Ukrainian soldiers were presenting women soldiers with flowers as the habit dies hard.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

International Women's Day is a Soviet holiday. The arguments about its predecessor in the US is really quite contrived; it had no real life and traction except in the Soviet Union for decades; the UN then picked it up; then Hillary Clinton blessed it and Obama went for it.

This year, I noticed no Soviet-era males I know were making these congratulations they normally do on Facebook pages with kitschy flower gifs. Because the war in Ukraine drove that nonsense right out of their minds. Still, a few Ukrainian soldiers were presenting women soldiers with flowers as the habit dies hard.

Sheesh, thanks for undermining the day meant to celebrate the socioeconomic achievements of women.

I don't live in Soviet country nor in the US and we celebrate this holiday. It's also tradition for flowers to be gifted to women on this day by the opposite gender and their loved ones, and it has been that way even before I was born. War or soviet-era males have nothing to do with it.

• Like 2

"Imagine a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination. A world that's diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated. Together we can forge women's equality. Collectively we can all #BreakTheBias.

Celebrate women's achievement. Raise awareness against bias. Take action for equality."

https://www.internationalwomensday.com/

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.