Land Flippers Hate or Love?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

This is only right, from the Lindens' perspective

Not entirely true. It would only hurt the person paying the tier if the price is so high that they have to sit on it for months or years.

Flippers can still flip parcels, it just won't be viable to hold parcels. But since their money is made in sales anyway, that should work in their favor, short term.

• Like 2

I wouldn't consider myself as a land flipper but I do enjoy buying and selling land. Gives me a little buzz when I eventually make a sale. It costs money to hold onto land so the more land you have the more tier you have to pay. I give you a couple of sales examples.

1. The other day I bought an adult Parcel for 4100L$ I put it straight back up for sale at 4999L which would of made me a small profit on what I spent. I thought I'd sell it quickly. But no one seemed to want it. So I reduced it back down to what I paid for it so I didn't have to hold onto land.

2. Last night I bought land but was a kind of weird shape/size bought for 2500L$ today I bought the plot next door which was a little more expensive but joined together it makes quite a nice plot of land and instead of 3024qm its now a 5408sqm and is protected roadside

[Moderator Edit: Removed link to land sale]

20220310_204958.jpg

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, kevin Jerrold said:

I wouldn't consider myself as a land flipper but I do enjoy buying and selling land. Gives me a little buzz when I eventually make a sale. It costs money to hold onto land so the more land you have the more tier you have to pay. I give you a couple of sales examples.

1. The other day I bought an adult Parcel for 4100L$ I put it straight back up for sale at 4999L which would of made me a small profit on what I spent. I thought I'd sell it quickly. But no one seemed to want it. So I reduced it back down to what I paid for it so I didn't have to hold onto land.

2. Last night I bought land but was a kind of weird shape/size bought for 2500L$ today I bought the plot next door which was a little more expensive but joined together it makes quite a nice plot of land and instead of 3024qm its now a 5408sqm and is protected roadside

20220310_204958.jpg

When people complain about someone selling land for more than they paid for it, I think they often don't take into account the work done to make parcels of easy to use size and shape. I recently sold land I had for about 4 years. I started with a lucky find of inexpensive land on a Linden road, overlooking protected water. Over time, I bought and added more land to it. Some was abandoned land requested from LL at $L 1/ square meter. I made a parcel that was a good-sized, slightly odd shape, with a large stretch of roadside. My neighbor bought it at slightly under market price for this type of land and area, and has developed into a pretty recreational environment for her group. Everybody wins here. The mainland has been attractively developed. Linden Lab is getting tier for land that was previously abandoned. I have more lindens to spend on SL creators. And both myself and my former neighbor are happily enjoying our time in SL.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, kevin Jerrold said:

From your perspective what do you make of competitors who seem to just be collecting it ?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

From your perspective what do you make of competitors who seem to just be collecting it ?

I can understand people collecting 1 bit of land in each Continent and then turning it into a rental property. But I can't see the point in holding onto empty land due to the monthly cost of tiers. I know people who have made an initial investment of a couple of hundred dollars in order to own land. This person made 1 initial investment and is now earning enough to cover his outgoings.

I think land flippers/barons are on the highest tier level 65.536sqm which is a full Region of land in all different places its costing them 175$ every month and I'm on the understanding that when you own the 65.536sqm which is a huge amount of land. I don't think you're allowed to earn anymore unless you buy a private island. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Are you saying that you can't own above 66,560 sq m of Mainland? If so, that's not correct. See the section titled "Land tier" on this page: 

EDIT: And of course, there is also the group ability to use donations from members to buy land.

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 5

Well, we just got a hideous rotating sign across the road saying "for sale" on a parcel that was abandoned after *months* of *not* selling at 1500 L$ for a 1120.

Now this idiot grabs it and marks it at 13,999 L$ when even the "[redacted] Property Rentals" space up the road that is a 4096 costs less than that and they're not able to sell anything in Satori due to a complete lack of ability to determine the value of land before putting a "for sale" sign on it.

I have to wonder if these people just try to make the ugliest most obnoxious thing possible in hopes people will buy it at ten times the price everyone already refused to pay just to get their idiocy out of the area...

Edited by NanashiNyx
Group name removal
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Aggressively bad builds on land forsale is a sadly normal business model.

Is there a way to derender and blacklist everything rezzed by specific avatars?

We need like a lazy land-flipper list so people can just add the names on it and remain blissfully unaware of their poor taste.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NanashiNyx said:

We need like a lazy land-flipper list so people can just add the names on it and remain blissfully unaware of their poor taste.

keeping such a shared list of evil doers would be a pretty major breach of the shared experience and likely land the responsible TPV dev in hot water, not to mention the potential for abuse as people add their enemies or competitors to the list

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NanashiNyx said:

rotating sign across the road saying "for sale"

a rotating 'for sale' sign is a ToS violation

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

... advertisements must comply with these requirements:

• They must contain no rotating or flashing content and no particles.

an Abuse Report can be filed to have it removed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

Well, that was informative, and it also violated the height limit for ads as it is 20m tall and behind ban lines which is also listed as a no-no.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NanashiNyx said:

Well, that was informative, and it also violated the height limit for ads as it is 20m tall and behind ban lines which is also listed as a no-no.

sounds like 2008 wants it amateur buy-the-viewster back

😺

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mollymews said:

It is? I love learning something new very day in SL. I'm serious, btw. I see enough of those things it would probably take two full-time Linden employees to deal with them all.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

It is? I love learning something new very day in SL. I'm serious, btw. I see enough of those things it would probably take two full-time Linden employees to deal with them all.

Suggest reporting them from the stock Linden client.

Had far more luck in getting encroaching or flashy objects removed when not reporting them from a third party viewer, I did ask Alexa at a TPV meeting if all viewers abuse reports were treated equally and ... felt really bad for asking when she couldn't just say "of course they are" :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Suggest reporting them from the stock Linden client.

Had far more luck in getting encroaching or flashy objects removed when not reporting them from a third party viewer, I did ask Alexa at a TPV meeting if all viewers abuse reports were treated equally and ... felt really bad for asking when she couldn't just say "of course they are" :(

Wow. This is indeed surprising. Not that difficult to fire-up whichever Linden viewer I'm testing on those rare occasions I need to file an Abuse Report, but it's kind of weird the filing protocol even includes the viewer identification.

As to whether the rotating signs will be seen as a violation, I think the answer is "maybe" and kind of luck-of-the-draw who processes the report and what they had for breakfast. Well, that's always the case, but here the question is whether the For Sale sign on a big parcel gets extra "slack" compared to a microparcel ad board. It's a bit of a judgment call because on normal-sized parcels we're allowed to erect enormous flashing rotating signs floating above our builds because, well, it's Mainland.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

but here the question is whether the For Sale sign on a big parcel gets extra "slack" compared to a microparcel ad board

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

i think the question that  Linden Governance doesn't ask themselves is: What constitutes an ad-farm ?  Is one parcel only an ad-farm ?  Meaning they don't frame it in this way

I think it comes down to the behaviour observed. Is the observed behaviour typically that of an ad-farmer as described in the policy ?  Is not whether the resident is considered to be an ad-farmer, is whether the exhibited behaviour is that of an ad-farmer. When the answer is yes then is a violation.

this said, I would not be surprised if Linden did cut some slack to first time parcel sellers

the red rotating 'for sale' sign mentioned, is a freebie that has been around since forever.  The first time parcel seller finds it in a box somewhere and rezzes it on their land. And it rotates. Other freebie mods of that sign have had the rotation stopped.  Person obtains and rezzes that one and it doesn't rotate. There is a little bit luck of the draw element in this for the first time seller

however, when our first time seller goes on to start trading in land then they get noticed by the more established real estate agencies. And it is those agencies who are quick to abuse report signage violations. Level playing field and all that

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Like what? I’m curious.

I'm not sure, but the behaviour seems to fit , if let's say if in order to be in some sort of second life 'platinum club' you need to have a certain level of land holding, and maybe to hold so much currency as well. In that case having the plots bought up would be an inconvenience, because they would need replacing. Setting the prices high would prevent mass sales and accidentally dropping below the set threshold, but still leave room for the odd high profit win in the property market. This sounds like a speculator mindset.
I don't want to get mod censored by trying to guess what kind of benefits this imaginary club might have.
The benefits to LL would be more stability in inworld currency and land holdings, and exporting some risk in general.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:51 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

a good start would be prohibiting rental of mainland and offering a transition deal to allow landlords to consolidate their holdings and migrate to private estates.

I do love this idea, but I also worry about the people who will outgrow the 1024 Bellisseria parcels and are not sure about the Scary Mainland purchase.  I think there should be a place for them to test different areas,  Maybe by...renting Mainland for a bit, then buy or form a Land Group and buy together.  What do you think? I certainly could be missing something important and it would really help me to know if I am ♥

• Like 2

On 3/7/2022 at 4:50 PM, Sid Nagy said:

I seem to miss the mainland gene.
I only see ugliness and emptiness with here and there a pearl when I travel mainland.
Yes, it has improved since 2007 over the years but I'm not impressed about it.

Bellisseria was a nice effort, but that starts to become boring too with sim after sim the same 5 or 6 houses that are available. And tons of them with not a soul in sight ever.

Come & visit me inworld sometime... we'll go on a few of @Feorie Frimon's pod rides and I'll show you some amazing reasons to love Mainland, perhaps 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.