Residence: Do you live on the ground or in the sky?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sky. Ground is nice and I prefer it, but you have zero control of your surroundings. Can change overnight. Had a good run at Mainland and liked it, but got tired of that.

Got myself a Linden home. Would be nice if not for the claustrophobic layouts (maybe there is more space at the upper floor? Nope, more freaking doors leading to tiny pointless rooms), and I love the road access and neighborhood feel, but fear it has to be mostly skybox there as well. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Sky. Ground is nice and I prefer it, but you have zero control of your surroundings. Can change overnight. Had a good run at Mainland and liked it, but got tired of that.

Got myself a Linden home. Would be nice if not for the claustrophobic layouts (maybe there is more space at the upper floor? Nope, more freaking doors leading to tiny pointless rooms), and I love the road access and neighborhood feel, but fear it has to be mostly skybox there as well. 

I don't know you or your avatar, but if people would make their avatars slightly smaller and then adjust their camera angle a bit lower, the rooms in SL can seem bigger. It helps to have modifiable furniture, so you can shrink it down a bit too. I'm sure this sounds like I'm beating the "Realistic-sized Avatar" drum, but it's true that when items are bigger in one's house, one feels like the house is smaller. Shrinking items can also improve stretched out textures, so they look less distorted. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

. I'm sure this sounds like I'm beating the "Realistic-sized Avatar" drum, but it's true that when items are bigger in one's house, one feels like the house is smaller.

I don't know what these people are talking about, but I think these homes are almost too big 😲
Snapshot_014.thumb.png.95cc159f49bedbb53223be7244dfcfa4.png

Snapshot_013.thumb.png.74d1ea9c456ff4f160e9b3f2f49969e7.png

I haven't a clue how I am going to arrange my furniture here.

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't know you or your avatar, but if people would make their avatars slightly smaller and then adjust their camera angle a bit lower, the rooms in SL can seem bigger. It helps to have modifiable furniture, so you can shrink it down a bit too. I'm sure this sounds like I'm beating the "Realistic-sized Avatar" drum, but it's true that when items are bigger in one's house, one feels like the house is smaller. Shrinking items can also improve stretched out textures, so they look less distorted. 

Thanks. Kinda tall, but use Tiny Cam always :) Walking or driving. SL just would not be the same without it.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 1:23 PM, Katherine Heartsong said:

Both. Ground home with garden in Nautilus, 64x64 cyber-themed "city" platform above with an apartment there as well.

Male alt lives in those new, posh-type places in Newbrooke.

ps. Wants to see @SlammedSam's cyber build. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Ask, and you shall receive! =D

Driving a Starsky and Hutch car

I'll be putting more up later.

• Like 5

I live in mainland and still want to live on the ground. I know it can get ugly there, well in my opinion then, it's sometimes a matter of taste. Okay, I have my land surrounded by a forest of tall trees. they are privacy screens, of course to mask neighbouring objects that dissonate with my world. I mix them with three-dimensional trees or foliage in strategic places (let them half stick in/out taking into account the parcel boundaries) so that it all looks less flat and you're not too confronted with the fact that the world ends there.

I guess I find ugliness outside my parcel just a challenge to do my modest part by making mainland a tiny bit nicer to look at. In January I bought two small adjacent parcels, so my quest continues 🙂

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, archangel969 said:

I live in mainland and still want to live on the ground. I know it can get ugly there, well in my opinion then, it's sometimes a matter of taste. Okay, I have my land surrounded by a forest of tall trees. they are privacy screens, of course to mask neighbouring objects that dissonate with my world. I mix them with three-dimensional trees or foliage in strategic places (let them half stick in/out taking into account the parcel boundaries) so that it all looks less flat and you're not too confronted with the fact that the world ends there.

I guess I find ugliness outside my parcel just a challenge to do my modest part by making mainland a tiny bit nicer to look at. In January I bought two small adjacent parcels, so my quest continues 🙂

This is an example of how I mix privacy screen with three-dimensional objects. Behind Mother Swan in the far distance, you can see a mix of three-dimensional trees and a privacy screen.

Mama! (Lost in) Dutch estate

• Like 9

On 3/12/2022 at 1:13 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

I have a "realistically proportioned" avatar -- about 1.81m tall -- and I have sort of the opposite objection to Linden Homes. In a lot of these, the door handles and windowsills hover somewhere around my breast height.

An important reason holding me back from going Premium is that a Linden Home would have me feeling like a prepubescent in my own house. (And I'm not very interested in the themes either.) So, if I do go Premium, as I am increasingly thinking of doing, I'll almost certainly use the tier for a mainland buy instead, where I have control over the size of the house (which needn't be very large: mostly I want a garden anyway).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have a "realistically proportioned" avatar -- about 1.81m tall -- and I have sort of the opposite objection to Linden Homes. In a lot of these, the door handles and windowsills hover somewhere around my breast height.

An important reason holding me back from going Premium is that a Linden Home would have me feeling like a prepubescent in my own house. (And I'm not very interested in the themes either.) So, if I do go Premium, as I am increasingly thinking of doing, I'll almost certainly use the tier for a mainland buy instead, where I have control over the size of the house (which needn't be very large: mostly I want a garden anyway).

Interestingly,  for the first time - in my new Linden home - I feel like my furniture is proportionality large.    Some of it,   I can edit and scale down - but my kitchen table can't be modified - and is it just me,  or do I look rather small sitting there?

My AV is 5' 6" or there abouts....   

CALI SL 0316_SIZE_PERSPECTIVE_002.png

• Like 3

Just now, Cali Souther said:

Interestingly,  for the first time - in my new Linden home - I feel like my furniture is proportionality large.    Some of it,   I can edit and scale down - but my kitchen table can't be modified - and is it just me,  or do I look rather small sitting there?

The jug of flowers on the table looks enormous. I've seen people in real life fit like you do on that chair though. In Second Life terms you might be a little short. My avatar is approximately 6'8" and isn't the tallest (that sounds crazy written down).

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

Yes, I think so. As I would as well. This is why I don't buy furniture that is no-mod.

The room and window height, on the other hand, doesn't look too far off!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cali Souther said:

I keep going down to about 5 ' 6" then back up again to 6'. I had the same problem with my furniture looking too big. I can shrink most of it, but it's a chore to try to get every piece just right. Then I had a friend come over to see my newly decorated house, and I was tiny compared to him. I went back up to 6', because how are avatars supposed to dance with a partner when our heights are so different? I refuse to go over 6 ' though. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I keep going down to about 5 ' 6" then back up again to 6'. I had the same problem with my furniture looking too big. I can shrink most of it, but it's a chore to try to get every piece just right. Then I had a friend come over to see my newly decorated house, and I was tiny compared to him. I went back up to 6', because how are avatars supposed to dance with a partner when our heights are so different? I refuse to go over 6 ' though. 

I did that for a quite awhile... up and down...   trying to find "just right".   I would go one place and be the shortest avatar in the room,   and go somewhere else and look like a giant.  LOL

I'm 5'5" in real life,  but that is exceedingly short in SL.   I usually set my avatar from 5' 6"  to 5' 8" now...   looking for a happy medium.  :)    Good to know,  I'm not the only one.

• Like 1

I live on a prim - well 4 of them maxed out in the air.
Pretty shameful considering there are around 70 houses below me hah.   

15 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I try to make things for realistic sized generally - but there is a good script called FixIt (free) you can pop into mod furniture and scale it all as one,  even if a thin plane normally stops you doing it manually - if you want to ping me inworld can send you a copy just in case you aren't already using it.
Obviously doesn't solve for the animation part....

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 763 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.