Residence: Do you live on the ground or in the sky?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

46 minutes ago, Meccha Suki said:

Nice! I'll keep that in mind for my next rebuilding. Weird, role play often being my main sl pastime, I never thought of using those doors for, umm, my real self's real estate 😊

I like it, exterior doors are group, interior doors are everyone...

Not that it will stop anyone from getting in since they can just sit-TP to the kotatsu through the front window XD

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NanashiNyx said:

Not that it will stop anyone from getting in since they can just sit-TP

Yes, figures, I just want to add it as a little something for the enjoyment of any would-be "intruder". Visitors are welcome, I'll have to think of a setup that offers lock-picking to the more adventurous ones, while keeping part of the property open access, to not scare the more timid ones away. I hope most people will take it as fun and not as a "stay outside!". Not that I think many people visit my current spot, but you never know, it's nice when you wander around and find fun things to see or do, and many people might never have seen lock-pickable doors before :)

I am a ground dweller. The only times I have had a skybox, was when I bought some from Onsu that looked so nice that I had to use them.

I will use skyboxes again if lots of ugliness happens on the ground. I rent on Mainland now, it is a quitet corner with very few ugly things, and they are derendered and blacklisted. But it can change.

For me, SL water is "real water". No other water, from great creators or not, can beat SL water. I must live by water.

I have a platform high up that is a 64 x 64 m prim. It covers my land totally. I go up there and take pictures, unpack things and such. I have enough Li left to do modest building on the platform, but nothing big. I just built an add-on for Bellisseria up there.

Yes, I have one Bellisseria home too, but I my interest has ebbed out because the latest themes did not make me exited... I am 95-99% sure that I go off Premium. But hey, maybe I cling to it.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 4

On 3/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, Syo Emerald said:

I live on the ground. My current home is a stilt house in Belliseria. Therefore the surrounding landscape is not an eyesore, that would push me to reside in the sky (which I have done in the past on some parts of mainland).

Me too, ground Belliseria.

We could be neighbors 🙂

I think it was the people creating huge, ugly builds that finally made me decide to sell my Mainland and retreat to Bellisseria. Belli is "ugly" in its own way, the sameness of the suburbs, of course, but at various times on my larger Mainland homes, I encountered neighbors who:

• Rezzed a large store in the navigation channel, preventing anyone from sailing through
  • Put up an 80 meter tall phallus with lights and particle poofers
  • Built a full region platform at about 20m above the ground and put an international airport in my back yard (this happened on two separate occasions with two different owners of the property)
  • Changed some pleasant fishing piers into an industrial GTFO terminal
  • Put in a prefab high rise next door to mine. I think the owner's idea was to snatch tenants away from me because his building was taller than mine. It never got a single tenant.
  • Plopped a huge candy-pink castle down next door
  • Put in an absolutely enormous skybox, literally over 1,000m tall. It was mostly empty space inside.

But I found that it's never a good idea to go back to see what the new owners have done with the old place. The people who owned Lebettu and Masocado after me created builds just as ugly as the ones I've described above, at least in my view.

Some people's taste is all in their mouths.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Currently hubby and I live in Bellisseria and have done since its beginning. We have found everything we could want or need in the Belli community so we will be staying there. It's home. Combined we have a log home, boathouse and my main account has a fantasy home. In the past I lived on my sister's residential sim on the ground and sky both. When I had my own land I also did both depending on if the neighboring land was an eyesore or not.

• Like 2

Always on the ground, always on mainland, always next to a road or water that connects to the ocean.

Right now and for the last couple of months ive been living in that big island, with the canal in the middle, that leads to likr a big round pool with high walls. I think it was originally greek style, but it´s hard to tell.   And I love watching all the racing boats go by, I wouldnt trade it for any private sim.

• Like 4

I live on the ground in my Bellisseria home. I have some mainland too but it's a community space, not for living in. There is a build in the sky there, because there wasn't enough space on the ground for it.

At the times I've lived on mainland, I prefer to live on the ground. I've resorted to skyboxes when the ground was too ugly, but I don't like it as much.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Myntz Mysterious said:

Ground in both my premium home and on mainland.

When I was staying in a Linden Home I had a little skybox with a fishing pond  surrounded by trees and a surround that made it look like I was in a forest, but that took up like 180 LI to get it looking nice, which on a 1024 is a pretty hefty amount of the allotment to use.

I think I could have technically moved it to the ground, since I didn't do much with my actual home and the pond fit in with the "log cabin" region I was in at the time, but I never bothered trying to figure out the legitimacy of doing that even though *anything* to break up the suburban "sameness" of Bellesaria should be a welcome addition.

• Like 2

I go between what I'm doing/what's my 'main home', but at the moment - Linden Home for general living and standing around when semi-idle, a mainland community plot that I mostly made because I wanted to make a forest cafe, and then over that a skybox that's my actual 'home spot' so that if I log in in an awkward situation I'm not risking anyone seeing me. :) (It also has a lovely rain ambience going, so if I'm really tuned out I can use Second Life as a white noise generator...)

Honestly, I won't lie about why I favor living on the ground - I like the idea of people seeing what I've done and approving of it. I just want the attention! (And, okay, community and all that.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I generally prefer sky, and have a handful of "city" platforms. One "city" is a 1950s style place, and another that is more cyberpunk/"Blade Runner" style. Then I have a "planet", complete with a space station above.

@Echelon Alcott I was wondering, what is the footprint of your parcel?

Edited by SlammedSam
Added in a question to another poster.
  • Like 5

I prefer the sky. One reason is apartment living being easier and needing much less LI, at least for me. And there are no worries about any virtual HOA's smacking you with newspapers when you're 850 meters above sea level 😄

Edited by a4a1
  • Like 4

Both.  Back when I had land in Bay City, I've always had a skybox dressing room as well as multiple other levels.  Now I have a belli home and I still have a skybox dressing room up above it. That's generally where I land when I log in and out.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Echelon Alcott said:

The houses are all on 256x256. Three of them are on a homestead (1 ground + 2 in sky) and the fourth is in the sky on a separate sim.

Thanks! =D

I have a 176 x 80 at home myself. As you might imagine, I have to get a bit creative with off sim surrounds, usually custom made by myself. Just have to be mindful of neighbor's boundaries.

• Like 2

Once during some major lag I saw the box that surrounds us on the ground...was weird.

If I want to experience the ocean and sunsets I prefer the ground, but for cozy forests and other environments where a big ocean isn't suitable for the background I prefer the enclosure of a skybox.

• Like 1

I usually have both at the same time; something on ground level (either a Bellisseria home or a landscaped mainland parcel with a small house) and a skybox of some sort, which frequently changes.  Whether I spend more time on the ground or in the skybox depends mostly on what the neighbours properties look like.

I just bought a very cheap parcel in the middle of nowhere but it's completely surrounded by abandoned land with only one other build within my draw distance (and I've orientated my house so it faces the other way). I'll probably keep it a few months then offload it and buy something else.

• Like 3

I've lived on both ground and in a skybox, but definitely prefer land. And I love landscaping, so quickly bump up to the LI limit on the homestead parcels I rent. That 1250 on a quarter sim gets used up reallllllly quickly. That means not enough LI left for a skybox anyway 🙂

As some have stated, I'd rather not live on mainland because of the high walls, low skyboxes, illuminated border fences, bright advertising signs, high cost, and so many builds inappropriate for the region's theme (when such a theme exists). I know some people love mainland, but it's not for me.  

• Like 1

I prefer living on the ground, and usually have my primary home on mainland.  Over the years I've had parcels on most of the continents.  Often, I've had parcels alongside a road or a protected water channel, though the parcel I currently have is not alongside either.  Overall, so far, I've had fairly good luck with finding areas where the surrounding builds have not been a visual issue for me. 

I do have an enclosed platform up very high over the parcel, which I use as an area for unpacking things or a place to be if I have to go AFK for an extended amount of time.  

Edited by MoiraKathleen
spelling
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.