Residence: Do you live on the ground or in the sky?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I live on the ground when I have a house up. But I'm most of the time in the sky, where I have my building platforms.
At the moment I have a small beach on the ground level without a house on it, where I can entertain friends.
My belly house is a workshop too at the moment, because that is what I sell on the marketplace. Add ons for Belli homes.
I do the measurement and stuff there.

Living in the sky would only be an option for me if the ground level is to ugly to feel comfy. I'm not on mainland for that reason.
But most likely I would change parcel then within a few weeks (whenever next tier is due).

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

I live on the ground. My current home is a stilt house in Belliseria. Therefore the surrounding landscape is not an eyesore, that would push me to reside in the sky (which I have done in the past on some parts of mainland).

• Like 5

I live on the ground. I rent a small parcel at Fairchang with a tree house, a jetty for one of my sailboats and a helipad. And a sky platform for building, make outfits and avatars etc.

During the years I was premium I lived on mainland on the ground. Mainland is not ugly everywhere 😀

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Ian Mercury said:

Mainland is not ugly everywhere 😀

Yes that is true, but I started in 2007 and in those days mainland was mostly ban lines, rotating for sale signs on the smallest possible parcels and flying dingelings.
And the nicer spots had insane price tags on them.
So I chose private land and never changed my policy since. Those sims can change for the worse over time as well. That's why I don't mind changing parcels if needed.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

Currently on the ground on a bought mainland plot, since a year or so. My preference for living is definitely the ground, with "scenery" and "life" around. 

My house and all isn't really my preference, but I tried to blend it in with the surroundings, as it's rather themed there. It's not ugly, or anything, just not what I would set up if I was the only one there. I couldn't resist the plot because of the region's name. I'm sometimes looking for another plot, close to people who have plots that my preferred style would fit to, but more often than not, if I find promising plots, they are either too tiny or too expensive, or both, or I don't like the name of the sim, or the position of the plot, or I'm spending too little time in world to justify it to myself. I'm too fussy.

(I also love renting in roleplay regions, when I find one I want to play at, that's "on the ground" too then, not sure if it counts as "live" in the spirit of your question.)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JadeMercedez said:

Wondering how many of you live on the ground or in the sky and what is really your preference?

When I've been in a more sociable mood I've been a ground-dweller, sometimes owning land on mainland, sometimes renting on private regions. I have always preferred being a mainlander though, as I've tended to find the would-be griefers rather amusing. My ex-partner built a rather large wall around the half-region he had on Quincentival many moons ago, and the chap in the adjacent sim actually found it offensive (it was only made out of stone and grass, and he could have just spoken to us about it really), and he actually positioned several war-themed vehicles facing the wall.  His prim-allowance must have been well and truly used up, and for sure these vehicles were amazing creations, but my partner being German asked me what on earth he had done to incur such a bad situation, was it because he was German, and I - with my rarely-worn diplomat hat on - smoothed the waters with the neighbour. He even gave us copies of some of his vehicles. I must dig these out of my inventory at some point and have another look at them as they were pre-mesh and quite intricate.

• Like 6

@Meccha SukiTo be honest, if I could win a million straight away if I could tell you the names of the two sims I have property on, I would not stand a chance.
For me those names are pretty much irrelevant.
A nice example of how mileages do vary in live.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Yes that is true, but I started in 2007 and in those days mainland was mostly ban lines, rotating for sale signs on the smallest possible parcels and flying dingelings.
So I chose private land and never changed that policy. Those sims can change for the worse over time as well. That's why I don't mind changing parcels if needed.

As I recall, some of the roads on the mainland hadn't even been put in back then, and there was a real hotch potch of stores and residences. In 2008 or maybe a little later, I purchased land on some of the newer regions that were created on the eastern side of - oh I am hopeless with the actual continent names - and Queck was one of the areas that was brand new and totally empty. I was the first person to buy a tidy 512m chunk of land there, only for someone to buy the portion in front of mine and steal the sea view and build a massive tower block. This did not bother me, but I thought it a great shame that there was potential to make a new area beautiful and someone would do that. 

Of course I sold up and moved on. 

I rented on a private region for a time and built a little maze around my house, just for the fun of it, all encased in a pretty wall. I was baffled one day by the sheer number of naked people that kept wandering into the maze - which was absolutely open to anyone who wanted to visit it, but naked !!!! Turned out I had a nudist camp nearby. That was quite fun/funny really. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

So I chose private land and never changed my policy since. Those sims can change for the worse over time as well. That's why I don't mind changing parcels if needed.

I started in 2006 and remember that as well. And there are still insane price tags. Those owners don't really want to sell unless they get a lot of Lindens :)
I love some parts of mainland. I used to walk the old cobblestone roads at Heterocera and explore the region with one of my own trains :)

Edited by Ian Mercury
  • Like 4

Currently living in the sky in a private region. My preference is being on the ground near water (grass - not beach) with a second home/skybox and photography platform in the sky. Buuuut then I realize I still spend most of my time up in the air and change plots to save a few Ls.  But then I miss my prims and scenery, so I move back down. 😄 Um, I basically move around a lot. 

• Like 8

I enjoy in SL what I don't have in RL:  Sand, palm trees, the ocean with a beautiful sunset and dry and sunny weather, and that all in my own backyard.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I enjoy in SL what I don't have in RL:  Sand, palm trees, the ocean with a beautiful sunset and dry and sunny weather, and that all in my own backyard.

When there is the clearest of skies on a cold frosty night above my very landlocked town in real life, I often think how wonderful it would be to have a skybox 4000m above the ground. Flushing the toilet might be a problem (or not!) though.

• Like 3

I currently live on a roof in downtown Sidney...
Rooftop.thumb.jpg.87f56ca438f68472c206f225d19cd0e1.jpg

Which has also been a tropical island infested with sand crabs and seagulls I trained to do my bidding...
1152511341_WhattheSandCrabsSaw2.thumb.jpeg.c6b08e7ece186069d698ca1ece83cf21.jpeg

And a cabin in the wilderness, guarded by a snow monster that'll eat anyone who tries to escape...
174573274_OurDungeon.thumb.jpg.1695ff5f64f73fe02fefefd0b8f866d8.jpg

All of these are the same L$50/wk skybox.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 12
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I currently live on a roof in downtown Sidney...
Rooftop.thumb.jpg.87f56ca438f68472c206f225d19cd0e1.jpg

Which has also been a tropical island infested with sand crabs and seagulls I trained to do my bidding...
1152511341_WhattheSandCrabsSaw2.thumb.jpeg.c6b08e7ece186069d698ca1ece83cf21.jpeg

And a cabin in the wilderness, guarded by a snow monster that'll eat anyone who tries to escape...
174573274_OurDungeon.thumb.jpg.1695ff5f64f73fe02fefefd0b8f866d8.jpg

All of these are the same L$50/wk skybox.

Superb!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

I live on the ground. Let me tell you, as many times as I mistakenly deleted my skybox; that 2 minute fall feels like forever.

My rule number 1. When in the air: lock your floor.
That said, I always have a few spare floors right under my building platforms, because even with my rule number 1 I more than once made those falls. :D

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.