Dumb accident resulted in "Access Denied" to SL.

Sindaera

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I left my SL page open and went to bed, my headphones were accidently left partially on my keyboard and was pressing one of the function keys, I think it was probably a "Refresh" function... woke up to a blinking "Access Denied" screen, discovered the headphones and removed them from the keyboard, but could only get "Access Denied" , could not research more as I had to go to work, after work the page worked and I was able to log into SL, but now, the next day, the page is back to "Access Denied" plus I am no longer able to login to SL.

My guess is that I may have triggered a protection function with my accident, I would submit a ticket but that page results in another "Access Denied", so I am posting here.

EDIT/Update

After further research, it is probable that SL/Linden cannot do anything about this issue, my current IP address is listed as Bad Risk after the headphone accident and was mistaken for an intentional DoS attack, which is understandable. My current options, as I understand them, is to get another IP address, which is more difficult than it would seem, or possibly use a VPN which would slow my connection to a degree, or wait until the risk score clears, which can take days or months.

Hope this helps anyone having similar issues.

Edited by Sindaera
Update

3 answers to this question

It's easier than you might think to get a new public IP address, at least for most people.  Just turn off your internet router/modem. Wait five minutes (this is important. Don't get impatient and turn it back on too soon). Turn it on again and let it reboot.

If you're using a fixed IP address, for example, you are connecting to the internet through a corporate or university network, this won't work. Contact your network administrator for assistance.

Another thing I'd try is to use a different DNS server, rather than the one provided by your ISP. Try the free DNS servers from Google: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's easier than you might think to get a new public IP address, at least for most people.  Just turn off your internet router/modem. Wait five minutes (this is important. Don't get impatient and turn it back on too soon). Turn it on again and let it reboot.

I have Spectrum internet, and this method doesn't work, or didn't a few years ago. I was told by tech support that a new IP address would not be assigned until my modem was offline for two weeks. I'm patient, but not that patient.

I did find a faster solution, though it's not for everyone. If Spectrum detects a change in MAC address on the the router or computer connected to the modem when it powers up, they'll issue a new IP address. I have an EERO mesh router system with four nodes, any of which can be made the primary. On the very rare occasion I have an IP address related problem, I turn off the modem, swap the primary router for one of the secondaries, turn the modem back on, and inform the EERO software of the change.

Unfortunately, immediately swapping things back the way they were will also bring back the previous IP address (or did when I last tried this years ago). I didn't test it, but could imagine the same two week wait applies, so temporarily swapping in a laptop or computer won't solve the problem. You'll need a spare router that you can swap into place for the time it takes Spectrum to break the connection between the IP and MAC addresses.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3

Depending on the type of computer you are using could you have triggered something that made second life or the app for second life be blacklisted on your computer? I know with my laptop I can blacklist certain sites that are like what second life is but that is because its a MacBook lol. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.