More Color Options for Linden Houseboats

EnchantrixLisa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I lucked up on a really nice area and houseboat.  I want more color options than what we are given but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  I know on the MP there are wall/paint options but I was wondering if anyone has tried other color options for the interior & exterior of their houseboat?  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, EnchantrixLisa said:

I lucked up on a really nice area and houseboat.  I want more color options than what we are given but I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  I know on the MP there are wall/paint options but I was wondering if anyone has tried other color options for the interior & exterior of their houseboat?  

The only way to use a color other than what the Houseboat menu provides is to use an interior and/or exterior shell that provides more colors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EnchantrixLisa said:

I was wondering if anyone has tried other color options for the interior & exterior of their houseboat? 

Apparently, since the release of the Newbrookes, the notion of recoloring/retexturing the exterior of a Linden Home is controversial. Is any deviation from what is presented on a Linden Home Controller menu allowed? I have no idea. Would be nice if this was clarified. The current practice is to do it and see if you get busted... but this seems like a bad process to me.

Edited by syndi Pearl
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, syndi Pearl said:

Apparently, since the release of the Newbrookes, the notion of recoloring/retexturing the exterior of a Linden Home is controversial. Is any deviation from what is presented on a Linden Home Controller menu allowed? I have no idea. Would be nice if this was clarified.

The newer Themes -- from Victorian on -- allow you to specify your own colors via the home menu.  The earlier Themes -- Traditional, Houseboat, Camper -- do not.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The newer Themes -- from Victorian on -- allow you to specify your own colors via the home menu.  The earlier Themes -- Traditional, Houseboat, Camper -- do not.

The question is..... is any deviation on the exterior of a Linden Home (beyond the official choices) always considered "out of theme" and thereby not allowed?

Edited by syndi Pearl
  • Like 3

All this talk of Linden Home Communities being like strictly controlled Home Owner Associations, kind of makes me want to make my guy alt Premium (for $99/ year), just so I can see for myself how much I could alter these houses. He had a Linden Home before, and I was able to add a front porch that matched the rest of the exterior. I made it myself, so it wasn't perfect, but building for myself is a big part of the fun of Second Life. I own mainland so I can make it look how I want it to look. People who pay for Premium accounts and choose to use a Linden Home should be able to have some freedom to create too. "Your World, Your Imagination", right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, syndi Pearl said:

The question is..... is any deviation on the exterior of a Linden Home (beyond the official choices) always considered "out of theme" and thereby not allowed?

Since I have seen lots of homes with exteriors of different colors beyond the provided ones, then I'd say No.  However, if the color scheme is too wild - i.e. too much different from the provide colors, then LL might not like it.   I know that there were some folks that tried to put some really bold colors on the outside of their Victorian and LL returned the shell, but others that have kept the colors more muted have done fine. 

LL won't give us an official statement on it -- they say getting too specific makes people look for loopholes and try to hard to push the boundaries.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

All this talk of Linden Home Communities being like strictly controlled Home Owner Associations, kind of makes me want to make my guy alt Premium (for $99/ year), just so I can see for myself how much I could alter these houses. He had a Linden Home before, and I was able to add a front porch that matched the rest of the exterior. I made it myself, so it wasn't perfect, but building for myself is a big part of the fun of Second Life. I own mainland so I can make it look how I want it to look. People who pay for Premium accounts and choose to use a Linden Home should be able to have some freedom to create too. "Your World, Your Imagination", right?

Oh, there are all sorts of add-ons that have been created for the homes.  Everything from simple porches to full wrap-around porches to additional rooms.  As long as the architecture is close to the home itself and the colors blend, LL has no issue with it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

People DO have freedom to create with LHs.  I think there's some overreaction to a very few words going on.  Why is it such a big deal if LL wants to protect the integrity of a release that is all of 2 days old?  Give it a couple months before going crazy with mods.

I've been amazed that houseboat mods like these are tolerated, but in my neck of the woods in RL, MOST houseboats look like this, so I kind of like having a few around.  Personally, I've never seen a RL houseboat that looks like a Barnacle.

Deviation_001.jpg.e189088f4ce46535983c6cc58db92504.jpg

Some houseboat mods are just plain gorgeous.  I'd be really distressed if something like this were deemed unacceptable.  But it's not only been in place, but widely admired, for quite some time.

Deviation_002.jpg.b79c5281aa4e4289e6beee9aeab76144.jpg

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, syndi Pearl said:

It's not always considered out of theme and some exterior changes can be done. What makes a change out of theme is a trickier question and wouldn't be easy to make firm rules on. I'm not sure why people are pressing for firm rules, because they're likely to be harsher than the current "we know it when we see it" rules. That said, it might be handy to have a general description of the vision for each area, as it'll make some things more or less obvious as in or out of theme.

It has been said that it isn't assumed that people are trying to cause trouble. Items are returned and messages left, rather than banning people or stuff like that. So if you think something is in theme, don't worry about it too much. They'll let you know if not, but you're not going to be banned or anything. Continuing to put the same stuff back after being told isn't going to end well though.

• Like 4

Nobody is pressing for "clearer rules"  However it would be nice if they relax up on the current trend of harshly judging Newbrooke add-ons as "out-of-theme"  Asking for some flexibility is not asking for clearer rules if anything its just asking for some artistic flexibility.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Nobody is pressing for "clearer rules"  However it would be nice if they relax up on the current trend of harshly judging Newbrooke add-ons as "out-of-theme"  Asking for some flexibility is not asking for clearer rules if anything its just asking for some artistic flexibility.  

I have obviously been missing a lot by not paying too much attention to this section of the forums.

14 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Some houseboat mods are just plain gorgeous.  I'd be really distressed if something like this were deemed unacceptable.  But it's not only been in place, but widely admired, for quite some time.

Deviation_002.jpg.b79c5281aa4e4289e6beee9aeab76144.jpg

Well thank you very much.  If half of my build suddenly disappears, I guess we'll know that it does indeed go too far.  

• Like 3

On 3/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only way to use a color other than what the Houseboat menu provides is to use an interior and/or exterior shell that provides more colors.

Hello,

I tried a color or paint wrap for my houseboat and it took a long minute and trying different textures but I finally settled on a while linen texture. I may go for a boho/ shabby chic vibe.  The outside white w/ black trim, etc. Inside adding color as accents, etc. I now want to see if I can create a 2nd floor. Of course I have no idea what the heck I'm doing lol. I signed up with Houzz to look at decorating ideas, etc then I can go shopping in world to find similar pieces. 🙂

Edited by EnchantrixLisa
  • Like 4

I love the discussion regarding the Houseboats and what is acceptable and what isn't. When I first "changed" the color outside I picked a psychedelic pink, blue and green ombre. It was so cute and different, just pretty pastel colors blending together. Then I looked at the note card again and got nervous. I didn't want to cause any trouble or get into trouble so I changed to a plain  (le'sigh😕) white with linen texture and the trims of the windows and door black. Now I watched a few YT videos for inspiration and I saw some Houseboat parcels that were wild! One had a grass field in front with two trees creating a heart shape arch.🤔 It was cute but my point is it seems silly to not being able to co!or the exterior of the houseboat but then have these wild decorations.

Someone mentioned HOA and that's  what it seems like. I love the idea of being creative and showing it off instead of feeling like you are in some clone community lol. Of course have parameters of how far you can go with it, etc. Personally, I am not a fan of the co!or choices. Also what about all the add-ons?? Those change the "look" way more than paint. I'm pretty set on the Windlass HB but I want an up stairs so I will probably get the add-on that has the extra room. 

Edited by EnchantrixLisa
A LOT of typos! 🥴
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.