Someone recently said that people glorify the past too much.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

I remember February 2020, I was shopping in my local Tesco when I was knocked almost off my feet by a young woman. When I turned to look at her, she was scouring the empty shelves with total panic on her face needing baby wipes. Odd how people have become reliant on such things when my mother - all mothers of that generation - managed with soap and water and a bit of cotton wool or torn up rags.

Yes exactly or even a quick tail wash if it’s a big one (my smallies were champions at those). Heck I do the same for my elder kitty, she’s losing control of her bowels almost daily and needs a bum wash 🧽🥲 wipes are useless at that stuff.

Not to mention that the hoarding started that vicious circle of selfishness and rudeness still visible today. I recall going to my local Lidl one day around the start of covid and finding an elderly man being shoved around the household aisle because he was confused and intimidated by the aggressive shoppers. Like wtf is wrong with people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Yes exactly or even a quick tail wash if it’s a big one (my smallies were champions at those). Heck I do the same for my elder kitty, she’s losing control of her bowels almost daily and needs a bum wash 🧽🥲 wipes are useless at that stuff.

Not to mention that the hoarding started that vicious circle of selfishness and rudeness still visible today. I recall going to my local Lidl one day around the start of covid and finding an elderly man being shoved around the household aisle because he was confused and intimidated by the aggressive shoppers. Like wtf is wrong with people.

"WTF is wrong with people" would be a whole other thread o.O but indeed, WTF IS wrong with rather a lot of people. Crises bring out the best and worst in folk that's for sure. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 3:03 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I kinda agree with him. People hold on to past relics like dead ideas and outdated beliefs. Recent events have led me to think this way.

But I made it my New Year's Resolution to be more forward thinking, to think about the wave of the future. To think about new possibilities. (For example, space and other scientific and technological discoveries are something I look forward to.)

(Apologies if this is yet another vague post, but I wanted to express a topic without getting too...controversial.)

I want to pull (myself) back to this original post, which I didn't really respond to as I clambered into this thread somewhere around the halfway point.

Great you have a new year resolution, great you feel able to look to the future.

My new year resolution is still what I had for the last couple of years and that was to oust unnecessary stuff, preferably via a recycling outlet - books, clothes, general household 'tat' - just because it's so nice to have space to swing a cat in, even though that is actually the last thing I would ever do with space.

Space discoveries I am not at all interested in. It's like people who go looking for fancy schmancy sex when they haven't yet even mastered the vanilla variety.  If we can't get things right on this planet, I really fail to see how sending expensive-to-manufacture-and-fuel-up rockets to various other planets is going to improve anything, not to mention how much damage all of that is going to be doing to the atmosphere.

This is just my opinion, of course, and in response to your original post. I don't really feel up to a discussion about my post or my opinion. It just is what it is. 

try to be open-minded, and absolutely learn something new each and every day. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

@Marigold Devin Have you ever seen Threads, an '80s film about a nuclear attack on Sheffield? I haven't, but have been warned it's really grim 😕 I get freaked out enough by skydiving videos, lol.

Just while we're in Sheffield (as in film locations), and while we're in the thread about glorifying the past too much, one of my pet peeves is the way people glorify and romanticise about the Sheffield steel industry. The film "The Full Monty" showed the grim reality of life on the dole after steel firms started to close down. It certainly didn't make the industrial north seem at all romantic, but it was dead funny in places and I still have quite a crush on "Big Man" aka Mark Addy, and that woman that pees like a bloke, that made me laugh too because my old friend Anna could do that - her general aim was better than any man's though. Tee hee. 

• Like 2

I think there can be a lot of good looking back.. Honestly, I think there is a difference in being stuck in the past vs taking a trip to the past..

A lot just depends on what I'm looking at.. I could start off on a good memory, then get caught up in one thing linking to another until I hit a cringe moment and end up  getting the heebie jeebies..

How the hell did I go from that memory and end up here?!! \o/

Then when I go down the road to my fathers house, I always get caught up with memories of growing up in that house..

I only hope my boys don't get so caught up with the influx of too much information like what happens today, that they will have those kinds of memories when they come back home and visit after they've moved out..

I want them to have a place where if they need that grounded foundation feeling, they know where to find it..

Miranda Lambert made a song years back that really makes me think about that each time I hear it..

The past can be a good thing as long as you don't get swallowed up by it.

I was in the hospital for Christmas, New Years Eve, day and didn't get out til 1/3/22.  I didn't make any resolutions other than to get out and stay out of the hospital.  Did that.

I think about my past, but I have no desire to re-live it.  I don't think too much about my future because I have some tough stuff ahead of me and I'm not in a hurry to go through it.

I like to enjoy the simple pleasures that I have today like sitting by the fire with a good book, or going for a walk with a good friend.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

no one can mess with nuclear powers, or else we all die. That is the only reason why NATO cant intevene directly in Ukraine.

That's assuming that everyone is a rational actor. That is not always the case. For example, Putin has said that Western sanctions "amount to a declaration of war." If he feels his country is going to go under economically, he may decide to hit back with a nuclear strike. He is on record as saying that if there is no Russia, he doesn't care if there is any rest of the world or not.

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's assuming that everyone is a rational actor. That is not always the case. For example, Putin has said that Western sanctions "amount to a declaration of war." If he feels his country is going to go under economically, he may decide to hit back with a nuclear strike. He is on record as saying that if there is no Russia, he doesn't care if there is any rest of the world or not.

I just wonder if everyone around him would let him take it that far.

That puts everyone in the all or nothing position. 

There could be anyone that says  to him or herself, shoot him before he pushes that damn thing..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yeah, he said a lot of things, but I think that is just posturing because he knows that NATO doesnt want a shooting war with Russia, so he will milk that as much as he can.  Im not sure he would be willing to die over economic sanctions.

On 3/2/2022 at 10:03 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I kinda agree with him. People hold on to past relics like dead ideas and outdated beliefs.

New however does not mean better though there will always be those who are ready to scrap anything old in favor of anything new, just like there are those who cling to everything old and reject everything new. Hopefully in the debate between the two the best course of action will win out.

• Thanks 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:03 AM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I kinda agree with him. People hold on to past relics like dead ideas and outdated beliefs. Recent events have led me to think this way.

But I made it my New Year's Resolution to be more forward thinking, to think about the wave of the future. To think about new possibilities. (For example, space and other scientific and technological discoveries are something I look forward to.)

(Apologies if this is yet another vague post, but I wanted to express a topic without getting too...controversial.)

Oh yes, he is right, and the proof is in our history. Since time immemorial, people have looked to the past as better times, while bit*hing about the youth and whatever was new in that century.  It has always happened, and it will happen to you too!

At some point you will look at something silly that the youth is doing, like eating laundry detergent, or planking, and you will think to yourself, that the time when you were young was better.  And all the kids that survived eating detergent and planking in dangerous places, will grow old some day, and say exact same thing.... eventhough they ate laundry detergent for a tik tok.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Oh yes, he is right, and the proof is in our history. Since time immemorial, people have looked to the past as better times, while bit*hing about the youth and whatever was new in that century.  It has always happened, and it will happen to you too!

At some point you will look at something silly that the youth is doing, like eating laundry detergent, or planking, and you will think to yourself, that the time when you were young was better.  And all the kids that survived eating detergent and planking in dangerous places, will grow old some day, and say exact same thing.... eventhough they ate laundry detergent for a tik tok.

I guess I should prepare myself for when that rime comes....

My take on this is simple; “Situational Awareness = Awesome”.

Over-emphasis on history, precedent and tradition can produce stagnation and feed a lack of cultural initiative.

Ignorance or disregard of history, precedent and tradition in the name of “new thinking”  can lead to repeats of the same old mistakes in shiny new wrappers.

Its important to maintain a base of “Institutional Cultural Knowledge” so we can avoid the pitfalls of both while reaping the benefits of each.

MAINTAINING that knowledge-base and linking it to a pragmatic view of “what’s happening in the world around us” gives us situational awareness and access to the wisdom of our ancestors, while keeping it in an ever-evolving context.

History is not Destiny, but learning from it can improve our odds of creating a better one.

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863a051ec76cbf170647

Edited by Amanda Crisp
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 771 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.