Has anyone had problems with receiving IM's from non friends after changing to Viewer 2?

Nimue Firethorn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A few weeks ago, I sent an IM to a person who is not on my friend's list about a common project we were supposed to work on together. He didn't answer me untill a few weeks later even if I could see that he was online several times since I contacted him. He told me he'd just changed to Viewer 2 at the time I'd written to him and hadn't been able to receive IM's from people who were not on his friend's list. He told me it took him a while to find out. Since then, we have talked and he is now on my friends list. But ..now that we are talking about working on a common project, I am somewhat hesitant because, to be honest, I think his story about the problems associated with his Viewer 2 change sounds a bit suspicious so is he someone you can trust? Before I start working on any projects with this guy, it would be really nice to know if anyone else has had the same problem with receiving IM's from people outside their friend's list after a change to Viewer 2 so I can verify his story - or know if he may have been lying. I would also like to know if anyone has heard of others who have had this problem. I hope you can help me. Thanks :-)

3 answers to this question

Viewer 2 places notices and IM's in a different location than the previous viewer.  It also removes the messages from the screen fairly quickly and replaces them with small icons.  So if you are use to looking at a stack of blue messages sitting up in the upper corner of the screen it is very possible to be confused at first.

Although to be honest, you have a trust problem that has nothing to do with Viewer 2 technology.  Since you will never be certain, I would recommend you drop the project and move on.  No reason to make yourself miserable wondering if people are lying to you or not.

--Cinn

• Like 1

You can change your settings in Viewer 2 to only receive messages from people on your friends list. I've been attempting to login to get screenshots, but am having connection problems currently.

Cinnamon has pretty much said the same as I was thinking though; if you have trust issues, you need to rethink who you are collaborating with.

The option to only receive IMs from friends or groups is disabled by default when the viewer is installed and it would be very difficult to accidentally tick the box to enable it. It's in the Privacy tab if you want to see it.

However, the points made about the small icons when people IM you is perfectly valid. I frequently missed IMs when I started using Viewer 2 and even over a year later, I still miss the occasional IM for many minutes if I am busy and have to apologise saying I hadn't noticed it. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4675 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.