Naming your Creations

Scooby Ravenhurst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Very nice, congrats fellow creator. For me I have my shop called 3DAngelo and I dabbled with putting that name on all my products but took up a lot of space. I broke it down for products to be 3DA - Mesh Cube Building Block (for example). I create a bunch of very funky mesh shaped building blocks and can be difficult to name them. The latest was a slot notch frame mesh cube. Cause it's a cube frame with notched edges and a slot on each notch lol. Oh and because there can be so many different styles of that one type of design that I added after Style 1, Style 2, and so on. That has evolved from just a notched cube slightly. I make sure to label each folder with the 3DA / Product Name / Land Impact (that's for building stuff don't really think that would be needed for clothing. Oh and when you put your product in a folder, be sure to make sure you double check the next owner permission like if you want next owner to be able to copy and modify object, but no transfer. I've noticed that a lot of buyers want objects to be copy and modify because say you buy a pair of of flip flops and they are too small for your foot, nothing worse than having a shoe that does not fit and can't make fit. same with clothing that extra little nudge larger or smaller makes a huge difference for consumers. & if you list in the marketplace, I would right click and copy to marketplace not move to the marketplace, otherwise your folder will vanish from your inventory and be moved to the marketplace inventory. from there you click create listing and then from there you go to the marketplace like normal and then go to merchant home, manage listings, and then edit listing. It's little bit much but after you do it a few times it's not as horrible as it sounds.. 

I really wish the photos that are uploaded to the marketplace instantly transferred into the purchased items folder so customers would be able to have a reference photo of what the product looks like, vs having creators pay to upload a photo to include in the folder with the product. Anyways. 

My Mom is an artist and she has the same problem naming art. I guess don't be afraid to name your art is the first step. As far as a brand, that's a tough one, on the bright side possibilities are limitless, I'm sure any brand that you create will be exactly what it's meant to be. 

example.png

example 2.png

example 3.png

Edited by Paulsian

I started out naming clothing for how the outfit struck me, i.e. Sweet n Sexy or Classic Sweater, names like that.  Or if I was designing for an event with a theme, I would pick a name that suited the theme.  But I must say after 16 years making clothes I am having a rough time not to repeat some names lol.  Many I notice use female names for female clothes and men's names for male clothes.  And some just number them like long dress 101 and such.  So it all boils down to what you are happy with.  There are no rules on naming your creations, except for not using patent names or logos of course.

• Like 1

Its all about Marketing in Business Life cycle.

At the introduction stage: Focus on more search visibility. Put keywords customers mostly use to search for that product as long as not become spamming.

At the growth stage: Put the cloth name first and brand name at the end.

At the maturity stage: Put your brand name first then the exact meaningful name of the cloth.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I really enjoy naming my stuff!  Lots of ways I come with them:

• The INOA dress was named after a singer who asked for a really short dress!  I plugged her name into Google Translate (with SELECT LANGUAGE chosen) and then started trying output languages until I hit a word I liked.
  • A friend put on a new dress and said she felt like she had an aura around her.  So, it's the AURA.
  • The CHAPALA, BELLE ISLE, and GRAND BOULEVARD gowns are named for favorite places.
  • I made a minidress with a texture of tiny stars, and wanted a starry name.  Went to a list of constellations, and found LYRA, the lyre.  The dress is actually shaped like the constellation, so it's perfect.
  • And the HIVE ankle bood has a hexagonal (honeycomb) texture.

It's fun!   SEE everything at enyoshop.com 

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on who you are as a creator and whom you believe to be your target market. 

For me personally, I used as logical and clean a method as possible, and this is how it would look in a person's inventory:

:: brand :: mesh :: capri pants :: denim

or

:: brand :: bom :: capri pants :: dusty rose

I was very concerned about how it would look in a person's inventory; the words as simple and crisp as possible, so that a person could inventory-search for it quickly without fuss.  And perhaps a person didn't remember my specific brand but really wanted to wear capri pants that day, so all they had to do was type 'capri pants' in the inventory search window and the pants would present themselves.

So in this method, there is no real secret or trick to naming the thing.  Four distinct identifiers (your store brand, whether it's Mesh or BOM, the article itself, and the specific differences), which means the article of clothing really just names itself.  (It doesn't have to be Mesh OR bom -- that's just this one example here)

I find that naming the release "Danielle" or "Auston" or "Ericka" or some rando is only meaningful if you're actually dedicating an outfit to someone special.  As if to say, "I made this blouse by special request from a special lady, and now I'll share it with all of you too."  Otherwise I'd personally never name my clothing human names.

On 6/13/2022 at 11:31 AM, Virtue Demina said:

I used as logical and clean a method as possible

THANK YOU

Am not a creator but personally I, as a consumer, find it difficult to find things in my inventory when they're named things like "Brianna". I get that it's hard to repeat names, but when small creators name their products random names unrelated to the product, it makes it hard to search for on the marketplace and inventory.

Again, I'm not a creator but if I were one, I'd name my products a mix of the description and feel. For example, "spring puff sleeve dress" or "extravagance silk gown" if that makes sense

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.