Question related to Bloggers.

karenx0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If I'm understanding this correctly, most store owners when hire a blogger they give them newly released items to blog. But, my question is, if a community sim hires a blogger, how do you wage them? As in is the wage for community sim blogger paid weekly? Hourly? If weekly then is it every week? Or two weeks?

I would really appreciate your inputs in it :D 

28 minutes ago, karenx0 said:

If I'm understanding this correctly, most store owners when hire a blogger they give them newly released items to blog. But, my question is, if a community sim hires a blogger, how do you wage them? As in is the wage for community sim blogger paid weekly? Hourly? If weekly then is it every week? Or two weeks?

I would really appreciate your inputs in it :D 

we had this dicussion once before,  a person was wanting to pay some one to handle all the social media, the blogging and such, for like 4 dollars a week.    

If this was me and I was handling bloggers, sim managment and such.   7.25 an hour usd, minimum.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

we had this dicussion once before,  a person was wanting to pay some one to handle all the social media, the blogging and such, for like 4 dollars a week.    

If this was me and I was handling bloggers, sim managment and such.   7.25 an hour usd, minimum.

Okay, so if I say you were only to do blogging for the sim, how much would you want to be the wage? I'm sure you wouldn't ask almost 8 USD for an hour, that would be a loss, as because for only blogging a picture needs to be taken and share it on every social media to gain traffic.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Under 30 euro an hour, I would not even open my eyes when I have to work freelance for others.
And that still would be working for a huge discount because SL.

Whoa 😲 I feel like I was born in a wrong country 😄 (or you made a typo in that number 🤔😄)

If you do this work on a freelance base it is not only the work per hour, it is insurances, pension funds, home office expences, adequate software and don't forget the income tax. 30 Euro is really a modest estimate. Somewhere around 70 euro upwards would be more full price.

I just googled for a plumber in the USA: Most plumbers charge $45 to $150 per hour and have a minimum service call-out fee or flat rate of $50 to $200.
There is very little for free in RL.

It is for a reason that almost every blog about SL and its activities is work of hobbyists.
If I would run a blog about something concerning SL as a hobby, I would write about everything I like or bothers me. Not about something someone else wants me to write  about. That exact moment it becomes a marketing job. So RL prices please in that case and I'm all yours.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

That moment it becomes a job. So RL prices please.

Yes, but those RL prices probably vary a lot by country 🙂 Here many people in RL work for a fraction of those €30.

Edited by tomm55
Typo

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

That 30 euro is not netto. More than half of it will go to expenses.

I understand that and I am not arguing at all Sid 😉 But even counting tax and insurance, most people in my country would consider that to be a really well paid job.

3 hours ago, karenx0 said:

Okay, so if I say you were only to do blogging for the sim, how much would you want to be the wage? I'm sure you wouldn't ask almost 8 USD for an hour, that would be a loss, as because for only blogging a picture needs to be taken and share it on every social media to gain traffic.

Personally, I wouldn't consider 'only blogging a picture' as blogging.  It's posting a picture..  Blogging would be if you included something pertinent about the community along with the picture.  If you're talking about an RP community, a few lines about what goes on there should be used along with a pic.  Most RP communities.seem to pay in free or reduced rent which is only good if you want to actually live.there.

Compare it to clothing bloggers.  If I blog about a dress and get the dress free, I'm being paid by that creator the amount they sell.the dress for which varies.  Could be 100L to 500L for example for 1 blog post.  

So, it would depend on how often the community wants you to blog.  Is it daily, weekly, bi-weekly?  Once a month or only for specific.events?  I think 500L per post would be fair.  Just my opinion.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

If you do this work on a freelance base it is not only the work per hour, it is insurances, pension funds, home office expences, adequate software and don't forget the income tax. 30 Euro is really a modest estimate.
It is for a reason that almost every blog about SL and its activities is work of hobbyists.
If I would run a blog about something concerning SL as a hobby, I would write about everything I like or bothers me. Not about something someone else wants me to write  about. That exact moment it becomes a marketing job. So RL prices please in that case and I'm all yours.

Sid is 100% correct. It's for that reason I'd never touch real world off-platform work for SL, unless the person hiring me offers to pay a good wage for my region of the world (in USD, not Lindens). If someone is expecting weekly/monthly fully-optimized 800+ word blog posts with images and all of that fun stuff, I'm going to be asking for quite a bit of money, just as I would if any other person came looking for a writer for their business. Social media or other duties on top of that? That's additional $$$$. Have I worked for absolutely abysmal rates as a freelance writer? Yup! I did it years ago on those super cheap content mill platforms. Desperate times, lol. Never again. Would I blog for SL designers as a hobby? Nah. I already have too many hobbies!

I'm not exactly the cheapest person to hire for inworld work paid in Lindens either, but I am much more willing to spend wayyyy too much time perfecting everything in SL and devote too much time and energy to my projects simply because they're FUN, which drives the rate way down. That's what I get for being a perfectionist. 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, karenx0 said:

You can also try searching the Inworld Employment forum, using the "blogger" search term (this link), to see how other blogger jobs are offered to be paid (or rewarded). Maybe it can give you some useful info.

52 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Personally, I wouldn't consider 'only blogging a picture' as blogging.  It's posting a picture..  Blogging would be if you included something pertinent about the community along with the picture.  If you're talking about an RP community, a few lines about what goes on there should be used along with a pic.  Most RP communities.seem to pay in free or reduced rent which is only good if you want to actually live.there.

Compare it to clothing bloggers.  If I blog about a dress and get the dress free, I'm being paid by that creator the amount they sell.the dress for which varies.  Could be 100L to 500L for example for 1 blog post.  

So, it would depend on how often the community wants you to blog.  Is it daily, weekly, bi-weekly?  Once a month or only for specific.events?  I think 500L per post would be fair.  Just my opinion.

Well my "blogging a picture" might have been a bit vague, but I guess you understood that already 😅 And speaking of a community, that was just an example to know how the wage would work. The actual would be for a racing sim, so I think a pay would be better for them. Since we want to bring a traffic, we'll soon have an event as well "Spring Break Event" next month and later probably a few races. Blogging during the event is actually a great idea to bring in some crowd. And on normal days probably 1-2 posts, I don't know still there are a lot to discuss. Right now, I just want to get clear on the wage for blogging a racing sim.

I'm as well a blogger too, I blog for Universa currently, but I don't have quite a huge following yet, and hence this post.

59 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Then be sure to hire your bloggers from your country.

Yes, exactly :D For someone ~8 USD/hour might be not much, but for someone it might be a good value.

I know one good photographer in SL, but unfortunately she is not much online now... But I can ask if the OP is interested.

Edited by tomm55

Typically "blogging" has the person posting photos and info most often on their own blog or sometimes on the "store group" blog (but not that often). Most bloggers are not paid other than sometimes getting free items to photograph.  What the OP is after IMO is a "social media admin" and we see ads for those quite often.     I have no idea what those guys get paid, but I agree that a "per post" payment would be the most fair method.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, karenx0 said:

for a full completed story 75 usd.   since you do not like the idea of hourly.  

17 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

If you do this work on a freelance base it is not only the work per hour, it is insurances, pension funds, home office expences, adequate software and don't forget the income tax. 30 Euro is really a modest estimate. Somewhere around 70 euro upwards would be more full price.

I just googled for a plumber in the USA: Most plumbers charge $45 to $150 per hour and have a minimum service call-out fee or flat rate of $50 to $200.

SL doesn't require RL services like plumbing which is vital, so it's not a valid comparison. And it's a practical service unrelated to media.

The comparison should be to RL freelancers who do media work. And there the price has fallen to the absolute bottom, and to free. It's not uncommon to have $50 US paid for even a complex, well-researched article with interviews with news-makers of 750-1500 words.  I personally don't like to work for less than NYS minimum wage doing news writing but a lot of even the top sites pay only US $150 per article these days.

SL is completely scaled down compared to RL with the exception of a few top skilled professions like scripter, vehicle maker, mesh furniture or avatar creator, breedables makers, etc. The rest is a rapid fall down to ridiculous sums paid to people like skilled, live musicians who earn perhaps $2000 in tips (US $8.00) sometimes if they are lucky -- perhaps it might be double or triple, but completely unlike RL

Bloggers are often paid in merchandise in SL, which of course makes them more like PR people than legitimate journalists. And there is much drama around this, as bloggers take the blogger boxes at events and then don't blog.

I think a figure like US $75 for this job is ridiculous, because in RL I know I'd get that for a short post for a news site that involved hours of skilled work, fact-finding and checking, interviews, etc. The SL equivalent here is, as has been stated, snapping a photo and writing sometimes merely a caption or a Tweet. I think anything over $500 Lindens (US $2) isn't justified especially if there are free samples.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

SL doesn't require RL services like plumbing which is vital, so it's not a valid comparison. And it's a practical service unrelated to media.

The comparison should be to RL freelancers who do media work. And there the price has fallen to the absolute bottom, and to free. It's not uncommon to have $50 US paid for even a complex, well-researched article with interviews with news-makers of 750-1500 words.  I personally don't like to work for less than NYS minimum wage doing news writing but a lot of even the top sites pay only US $150 per article these days.

SL is completely scaled down compared to RL with the exception of a few top skilled professions like scripter, vehicle maker, mesh furniture or avatar creator, breedables makers, etc. The rest is a rapid fall down to ridiculous sums paid to people like skilled, live musicians who earn perhaps $2000 in tips (US $8.00) sometimes if they are lucky -- perhaps it might be double or triple, but completely unlike RL

Bloggers are often paid in merchandise in SL, which of course makes them more like PR people than legitimate journalists. And there is much drama around this, as bloggers take the blogger boxes at events and then don't blog.

I think a figure like US $75 for this job is ridiculous, because in RL I know I'd get that for a short post for a news site that involved hours of skilled work, fact-finding and checking, interviews, etc. The SL equivalent here is, as has been stated, snapping a photo and writing sometimes merely a caption or a Tweet. I think anything over $500 Lindens (US $2) isn't justified especially if there are free samples.

The plumber price I used only to show that my 30 euro estimate was not a typo like was asked in a reply.
RL is expensive in most parts the western world.

Once again, the moment the hobby (Second Life) becomes a real life job (blogging for someone) that is when the peanut earnings (second life) and RL wages can clash.

Professional RL blogging isn't peanut money cheap. They do the checking, maintaining, search engine optimization etc. as well. It is not copying the text and photo and done.

Of course people who blog about SL as their hobby will do so for free or for a small bag of the linden peanuts.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.