Can the terrain.raw be modified outside of SL?

IvyTechEngineer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

13 answers to this question

1 minute ago, IvyTechEngineer said:

I was wondering if the terrain.raw file could be modified outside of SL with some other free software package?

Thanks

Yes, but only the region owner can upload/apply the modified .raw file.  You can find more info on how to create custom terrain .raw files on the wiki.

Tips for Creating Heightfields and Details on Terrain RAW Files

21 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

There are a number of terrain generator software packages out there, and some of them are even free. See: https://listoffreeware.com/free-terrain-generator-software-windows/

I tried downloading all these programs and one looks like it is missing. The other ones I could not figure out how to import the terrain.raw file. "Scene Terrain" appears to cost some money that I don't want to pay just to check it out. I tried to google "Blender import raw addon" and found some stuff that suggested downloading other programs but need to do some more digging to see what I can do.  

22 hours ago, IvyTechEngineer said:

I want to float an mountain that is currently in our island and I do not know how remove the underwater part of it. 

float it_001.png

What part exactly are you trying to hide?  The part under the green?  And what is the thing the dinosaurs are on?

The mountain I want to move is @ http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/IvyTech Engineering Island/43/210/25  

I want to elevate a mesh model of the terrain of this section up about 42 meters off the surface of the water and to flatten the existing terrain at the corner of the region. 

The terrain.raw file is here 

https://www.ivytechengineering.com/SecondLife/files/terrain.raw

Thanks

resistance is_001.png

I am getting closer to a solution with this (building a floating mountain that looks like the mountain that I currently have). Others have proposed using L3DT to create a DAE file but I need to figure out the image format needed to convert the terrain.raw file. Others have suggested redrawing the mountain/island in Blender which seems simple enough but still is a pain. I could buy something that is close enough through SL Marketplace and just relocate the objects that are on the island. There is another the possibility to use Meshroom. This program can create a high rez model using photos and metadata in photos. This seem very interesting but I don't know how to modify the images to include the appropriate metadata to make it look like a "photo" so that Meshroom can use it. The final option is to build something in SL that is close enough, download it, modify it in Blender and add texture and then upload it. 

Hello again,

I want to revisit my mountain and maybe add a cave to it. I am having trouble with making the physics model for it. I cannot seem to use the Medium LOD for the physics file? When I am trying to upload see the following, However, the uploaded model has a much different performance for the physics. I cannot go into the cave and I cannot stand on the lower level of the mountain. What am I missing? Do I need to build the physics model from scratch? Can you down load the medium physics "file" as a starting point?

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-03-27 111231.png

Screenshot 2023-03-27 111157.png

This is what I am trying to do. The bottom mountain was created in SL by modification of the terrain. The top mesh model was created by downloading the raw file and converting it into a mesh model. The current mesh model has 387 tris. This is a 10x reduction from the version I worked with. I don't remember exactly how I got there but in the past I have used some modifiers, merged vertices, etc. A lot of manual edits and other magic. Suggestions on how I can reduce my mesh in an easy way?

more mountains_001.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 389 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.