Can I mark a point on the map and use as a reference when traveling in-world? Not a landmark.

latinome2015

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there SL Community,

I haven't been able to find or figure this one out but I would assume you can do that here as you can in some RL maps (google maps)

When I take a trip either by bike or boat, I have a hard time remembering how to go back to the place i started my trip or I want to go (if I have found a place I want to visit) without trying to closely take a look at the coordinates and the direction on the in-world map. But that's no fun.

I would like to do this somehow by marking the place I want to go or return so I can easily see it by looking at the map. I have read some forum entries on GPS usage but not what I want or looking for. Any ideas if this can be done?

For instance, on the image I've added, I am traveling by boat on a river and want to eventually go back where the red X is marked. That's all.
Thanks!!

Cheers!

Latinome2015.

inworld marker.jpg

Edited by latinome2015
Adding picture and more info.
  • Like 1

• latinome2015 changed the title to Can I mark a point on the map and use as a reference when traveling in-world? Not a landmark.

No, but you can open the Places screen by clicking on its tab on your taskbar.  Then look at the places you have visited recently. Any time you TP or log in to a new spot, it's saved in that list.  All you have to do is double click on one and you're TP'd back.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

No, but you can open the Places screen by clicking on its tab on your taskbar.  Then look at the places you have visited recently. Any time you TP or log in to a new spot, it's saved in that list.  All you have to do is double click on one and you're TP'd back.

I've have Firestorm set for "Double click on land = TP." When I'm exploring and find a place I might want to revisit during that excursion, I double click very near where I'm standing. I can revisit by looking through the day's teleport history. If I think I'll want to return another day, I create a landmark.

Oops, the OP refined the question while I was crafting my response. I know of no way to retrace steps, other than perhaps via a scripted attachment?

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

Oh. Well, you can right click on any of the previously visited spots in that list and select Show On Map to make it show up as a spot on your map view.  But that only works if you teleported to get the spot on the list, so .... no, you can't do what you want.  There are no breadcrumbs in SL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Might a script, either on a timer, or via dialog box, build a list of waypoints that could be traversed in reverse via calls to llMapDestination?

Well, yeah, but it would be a bear to script.  To see a string of breadcrumbs, you'd have to build a HUD overlay that creates a new dot every minute or so and adds it to the display, and then you'd have to figure out how to keep that overlay aligned with whatever your current map view was.  I can imagine how to do it conceptually -- sort of like the little map view in part of the Linden Realms game -- but it would be nasty to write. You'd have to deal with changes in map scale as well as moving the map itself as you traveled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latinome2015 said:

Hi there SL Community,

I haven't been able to find or figure this one out but I would assume you can do that here as you can in some RL maps (google maps)

When I take a trip either by bike or boat, I have a hard time remembering how to go back to the place i started my trip or I want to go (if I have found a place I want to visit) without trying to closely take a look at the coordinates and the direction on the in-world map. But that's no fun.

I would like to do this somehow by marking the place I want to go or return so I can easily see it by looking at the map. I have read some forum entries on GPS usage but not what I want or looking for. Any ideas if this can be done?

For instance, on the image I've added, I am traveling by boat on a river and want to eventually go back where the red X is marked. That's all.
Thanks!!

Cheers!

Latinome2015.

inworld marker.jpg

This works in Firestorm.  I haven't used the SL Viewer in ages, so no clue if it works there.

Move a bit away from your start position, open your map and click the map in the location that you want to return to.  Leave the map open - just move it off to the side a bit, out of your way/view.  Now start biking, flying, boating, whatever -- just don't Teleport.  That mark on the map will stay there as long as the map is open and you don't click anywhere else on the map and you don't Teleport.  Pan around and you'll see a red arrow pointing the way back (and if your view is high enough, you'll see a red beacon), and you'll also still see it on your map - so you can navigate yourself back any time you wish. Since the map is still open, at any time you can also click the Teleport button at the bottom of the map and it will return you there immediately.

In this image, the yellow person icon marks where I currently am at.  The red circle is where I clicked my map.  Outside the map in the viewer, there is a red arrow and beacon pointing to that clicked map location.

image.thumb.png.c23a11b6547a0fa53eba897cb16f2104.png

• Like 4

You could create your own trail of breadcrumbs by taking slurls at your chosen points along the journey. Record these slurls into a notecard. When you want to retrace your steps, copy a slurl from the notecard and paste into local chat. Open the nearby chat box and click on the slurl. You will get a popup that allows you to either tp or open the map. Click on map and it will make a beacon appear at the location of the slurl. Then just aim toward that beacon and start walking. Repeat for each step along the way until you reach your final destination.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Well, yeah, but it would be a bear to script.  To see a string of breadcrumbs, you'd have to build a HUD overlay that creates a new dot every minute or so and adds it to the display, and then you'd have to figure out how to keep that overlay aligned with whatever your current map view was.  I can imagine how to do it conceptually -- sort of like the little map view in part of the Linden Realms game -- but it would be nasty to write. You'd have to deal with changes in map scale as well as moving the map itself as you traveled. 

I think it would be easier to script a HUD to use instead of the built-in viewer Map, using the MapAPI which even includes markers and other adornments. It's not entirely easy because there's all the scaling and stuff, but easier than trying to overlay that on the regular viewer Map, I think. In fact, I bet somebody has done something relevant as a product (but don't make me search Marketplace—I'd rather script the thing myself).

• Like 2

13 hours ago, latinome2015 said:

Hi there SL Community,

Thanks!!

Cheers!

Latinome2015.

inworld marker.jpg

When you click a location on a map you'll create a "beacon" that's a vertical red and blue bar, and your viewer will automatically put up arrows on your screen that will show you what direction to turn to head toward it. If you're familiar with flying, it's similar to a NDB ("Non-Directional Beacon.")

There are HUD's that will allow you to set a number of these points and select them in turn, making it a sort of rough INS ("inertial navigation system".) I use one that's free and copy/transfer enabled. Once you set the waypoints you can save that set and keep using it with that particular HUD.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kevin Jerrold said:

What I would do before you set off. Set your home location as the start point of your journey this will mark the map with the home icon. Whenever you bring up the map. Your start point (home) will be marked....

Your usually can't set home if you don't own the land unless it specifically allows it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kevin Jerrold said:

I tried this today a few times and it actually worked. I saved a screenshot but turned laptop off for the night so wont be posting picture till tomorrow.

In addition to when you own land, you can set home if the land is owned by a group that allows members to do so.   You won't be able to set home to random areas around the grid.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Arrived at starting point.

20220224_144457.png

Set home position and set off to my first destination. Notice home icon on map

20220224_144657.png

Decided to go visit another destination. Notice my starting point. Home icon still shows.

20220224_144750.png

Arrived back to my starting point. (home) after my sailing trip.

20220224_144457.png

Swapped my home location to somewhere different. Notice the home icon on the map

20220224_144413.png

Edited by kevin Jerrold

The only other option I see is request map data from the http://www.gridsurvey.com/api.php then once you have a stack of texture UUIDs for your current SIM and surrounding SIMs you could then add some functionality on click to mark a region visually. (Or use Prim Media and dont use gridsurvey and just query directly the maps by coordinate)

I have an open source full perm map I am working on, but it is far from finished (Only grabs sim/parcel details, lists it out in menu, and shows where you are currently on the map) I planned to add features for filtering what type of land (For Sale, Not For Sale, Abandon) as well as markers for where individuals may be standing as well as possible custom placable Markers as you are requesting. But no promises this will be out any time soon; I tend to jump around many projects.

This is possible you just will need to look into some LSL to get it working how you are are asking.

Edited by NardweBones
  • Like 1

breadcrumbs probably best done as a minimap function

sometimes I think about how TPV development could be funded. This would seem like a feature that some people might help pay for.  Like have some kind of FundMe for a feature. If get the asked for funds then code the feature

On 2/23/2022 at 5:54 AM, kevin Jerrold said:

What I would do before you set off. Set your home location as the start point of your journey this will mark the map with the home icon. Whenever you bring up the map. Your start point (home) will be marked....

First off, most people are not going to want to constantly reset their HOME location just for traveling around the grid (assuming that they even start off at a place that allows such).  That is not what HOME is intended for.  Most people set it to the true normal 'base' so that they can quickly return there by clicking the Home icon or using the shortcut keys.

Secondly, after I commented about being able to use the map beacon (which really is a much better option that resetting Home), it was pointed out the the OP actually wanted to be able to set multiple pins during his travel so that he could potentially quickly return to any of those spots, without creating LMs.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.