Living room essentials in SL

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A sofa, some lamps, coffee table some knick nacks, a chair if there is room, and some of my paintings on the walls. A TV, stereo, and fireplace are options but often present. Also required is my cat, who doesn't do anything other than sit there and be cute.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

433006872_Snapshot_010.thumb.jpg.218940113a90af1bf456e250761ac545.jpg

I recently moved from a LH to big mainland parcel...and I just started decorating this week because I have nightshift/lateshift so pushing pixels to calm down after work is calming xD it looks like this atm lmao my inventory puked all over the living room...

Well, you have a kotatsu, so you've got everything you need :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:
13 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Here's the one item that's essential for every living room, regardless of culture, ethnicity, age, gender, or personal preference:

thingamabob.gif.8aad142b142f568f25689ada7d0f8d63.gif

My curiosity has overcome my fear of looking stupid. What is it????

You've heard of people being probed by aliens, yes?

That's the probe.

• Haha 3

I always deorate the outside/garden first. I don't know why?

I have to repeat what others said, I have so much furniture in so many styles. I use the furniture I think fits for the house, or I do not think about it and just put in what I am in the mood for.

I only use TV's in modern livingrooms.

But I will try to fit in a fireplace, no matter what style it is. I have Victorian fireplaces, contemplary ones, modern, and probably a medieval or two.

I like small stuff to fit in everywhere. My modern decor should not have so much small stuff, but I can't stop myself. I need some decor there like a bowl of fruit.

Edit: And candles. I must have some candles.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

And since I put in so much stuff with big textures and too many textures, I have problems getting it all to rez and be clear for a photo. I have tried to use things that rez faster, but it is so much things I like better. Sigh. Like here, the table should have clearer texture grain and some of the fabric is not clear and sharp.

livingroom_001.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 9

The thing I enjoy most is having things around me that I've made myself; house included. Not everything is, of course. Apart from that...

Pictures. I love pictures on the walls. Pictures of us, Pre-Raphaelite and Renaissance art and some modern interpretations of those, fantasy... all sorts. When I lived in a mansion I even had an art gallery! I recently made myself some nice picture frames that have a really good animated picture changer and are 1LI - and can all be linked to the house which absorbs most of that!

Furniture... comfy but smart-looking sofas. Can't stand the 'shabby-chic' look myself (it's just an excuse to poorly finish a packing crate and save paint). Book cabinets, display cabinets and curio tables  (just made some really nice ones) for nicknacks like Libertine Eggs and Twisted trophies. I would love the spare LI for more ornaments around the place but given that my framerate tanks enough as it is, it's probably just as well I'm on a homestead. I lean very much towards classical, art deco or art nouveay styles. I love staying at the Midland Hotel in Morecambe - been a regular visitor there for years.

No TV. I'm bored of it in RL. I prefer to sit in front of a blazing log fire... so I have a few different fireplaces I've made.

I would take some pictures but I'm only here right now because logins aren't available :)

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

And since I put in so much stuff with big textures and too many textures...

Yeah - the texture load is my bugbear too. With things I make myself I can optimize/minimize the textures, but some stuff I've bought over the years has been just silly. All my nice pictures on the walls don't help either.

I once bought an old-style telephone, and soon noticed that when it was in my view, my framerate tanked to the point it juddered (this was a few years ago, before the GTX1080 graphics cards). Fortunately it was mod, so I took off the fourteen, 1024x1024 textures it had on its three parts and remapped it all onto one texture. You couldn't see the difference at all, but I still ended up deleting it because it had something like 75,000 triangles... talk about poorly optimized mesh!

• Thanks 2

Funny that it's just occured to me, but I've realized I rarely bother with a kitchen at all, and a bathroom will probably not have a toilet in it. I guess my SL is a bit like Star Trek... they don't do things like that any more.

The kitchen one is a bit odd though because I do love to cook in RL (you should taste my slow-roast mutton dinner or French onion soup!).

I took some photos. I'm still in the (slow) process of decorating etc.

The 'bling' room; hope you brought sunglasses (I might have gone overboard making this wallpaper):

Snapshot_898a.thumb.jpg.a680e5946849cd35a2173986849bc0af.jpg

The brandy and cigars room, artwork by Pierre Auguste Cot:

Snapshot_899.thumb.jpg.fa726e710c230f0e1742a06a5aea99d3.jpg

The entrance hall; I think my butler needs an upgrade to animesh:

Snapshot_900.thumb.jpg.00666c1448e8831f9ed8a7e6df94f140.jpg

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Rick Daylight said:

The 'bling' room; hope you brought sunglasses (I might have gone overboard making this wallpaper):

Too many empty tables!  *drops food all over*

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rick Daylight said:

oh wow, you would have loved the things I was making before I tried my hand at clothing, I had a drum table like the one you have in all the pictures, just a bit sturdier (fatter) and a bit less fancy, but similar aesthetic, just a little bit less bling.

Edit: what the hell, Im sending you one.

Edited by StarlanderGoods
adding edit
  • Like 2

a sofa, a lot of deco like plants, books blankets, shoes, clothing, clothing racks, notepads, sheets of paper, pencils, tablets, coffe mugs etc. I often upload pictures of me and my SL friends and hang them on the walls.

The big problem for me is to actually finish decorating and live in a finished house for longer than two - three weeks before I start to redecorate

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

oh wow, you would have loved the things I was making before I tried my hand at clothing, I had a drum table like the one you have in all the pictures, just a bit sturdier (fatter) and a bit less fancy, but similar aesthetic, just a little bit less bling.

Edit: what the hell, Im sending you one.

I like that - thank you! I'll swap...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rick Daylight said:

Funny that it's just occured to me, but I've realized I rarely bother with a kitchen at all, and a bathroom will probably not have a toilet in it. I guess my SL is a bit like Star Trek... they don't do things like that any more.

The kitchen one is a bit odd though because I do love to cook in RL (you should taste my slow-roast mutton dinner or French onion soup!).

I nearly always have a kitchen but I don't always bother with a bathroom. If I don't have a bathroom, I'll still have a bath in the bedroom. 

I think the kitchen is a comfort thing for me. The house I grew up in had a large one and as a family we'd often gather in there rather than in the living room. Cozy memories.

• Like 2

This is my mainland lounge used many of the same items for years in various properties i've used

Snapshot_216_edited.thumb.jpg.c55e93e2a9e7644bf093c33ba6c713cd.jpg

Items include TV (just in view), 1 Li sofa/chair/table/rug/books and floor lamp (primpossible), Sofa (Fourth Wall), Record player and shelving (Balaclava), Pictures (Vordun), Paint can light (event freebie) Record shelves (marketplace), Files (Apple Fall), Teddy cat (Jian). The kitchen in the background Fancy Decor/Kraftwork collaboration 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.