Living room essentials in SL

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I'm bored so today's question is about our favorite topic... furniture!

I find that when I put together a living room in SL there are certain items that I must include. These are a couch, a coffee table, a television, plants and framed paintings on the walls. If I am missing one of these the room will feel incomplete. The couches have to work. I put in my own sit animations. I also put a book on the table and the television doesn't actually do anything. It's just decoration.

What do you consider to be your living room essentials in SL? Any special reason why you need these items? I am curious if we are all the same or if we have differences due to culture, real life experience, or just personal preference.

• Like 2

I would need a sofa and at least one comfy chair, with a side table between the couch and chair.  If the couch is not against a wall, I want a narrow table behind it. I've found I don't use a living room/ lounge much in SL, since when I'm living in a house, I tend to hang out on the upper floor. As a result, I would add a sofa or other sitting furniture to my bedroom area, so a guest can sit there. I like having a fireplace with a picture of some kind above it and some books somewhere, either on a bookcase or on a table. Sofas and chairs must have sits in them, usually cuddles in sofas, but don't need to have Adult animations.

If I have a full house, I want a kitchen and a bathroom, even if I never use them, and a least one altar for various deities I want to honor. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

I like studio living, give me a big open beautiful space without walls or obstacles where I can lay out all my furnishings and put of divider walls as I need makes me happy. For the linden homes I usually go with the smallest least complicated floor plan. If I could get that neat camper that looks like a little house but slightly larger on a 1024 or a 2048 that would be fun. I just like open space. Be neat if the linden homes had option to hide walls click to hide might be neat. They already have the color option something like that to make phantom and transparent. might be easy way to do. Must have would be desk, laptop, table lamp, desk chair, and a drink and my virtual mesh phone lol. 

• Like 3

Couch, chairs, lamps, tables and assorted knick knacks which I change out when I find something else I like.  The same goes.for anything on the walls.   I've never owned a TV.   If the house is big enough, a kitchen with table and chairs is nice but not really a requirement for me nor is a bathroom.  

• Like 4

Food. It's a weird obsession and I absolutely do NOT do this in real life or I'd be overrun with ants by now, but if I'm decorating any room in SL at all (except bathrooms), I have to place delicious food or snacks around. This includes outdoor spaces as well.

It's become such a major quirk of mine, that I find myself asking friends for building rights when I'm invited over into their foodless spaces (clutches pearls) and immediately get busy prettying up the place with plates of cookies, pies, cakes, cheese platters, wines, and full on meals. Oh and remember those old food "giver" scripts that would drop wearable food into your inventory upon clicking on an item? Yup, I run around clicking like a madwoman if I happen upon those when out shopping, too. Knives, forks, spoons, apples, free pizza slices, ice cream cones?? Yes please! Those are never mod, but copy works! And I may or may not have purchased full perm food a couple times, juuuust in case the mood hits me to design my own platters and plates. This is actually how I managed to get into home decorating, come to think of it. 🤣 "Aya has so much food - you should let her redesign your kitchen!" 

Once that's done, I mostly focus on items that make spaces look properly lived in. Books, magazines, standing plants, hanging plants, floral arrangements, picture frames, paintings (if I have the wall space, I like to visit art galleries to purchase unique art for the walls), incense and candles, pillows and teddy bears for the couches, pets in plants, pets on the couch, chair pets, rugs, chairs, coffee table, additional side tables (for the food, of course), cabinets, entertainment center for the TV and knick knacks, gaming consoles, drinks (coffee, tea, cocoa), notebooks, phones, lamps, bookshelves, wall decor, musical instruments, string lights, on and on and on. 

I'm the worst. I spend prims so fast. 😂

• Like 2

I do beyou so most all my living room furniture is beyou related with the exception of a few knickknacks and a couple of photos. I have my norphone on my coffee table and a table plant. Other than that it's a couch, loveseat, chair and fireplace.  

• Like 3

Things I always put in my room is a kotatsu and a heater (I freeze easily in RL so this is somehow weirdly comforting to have in SL too) ...and food XD I love pixel food x3 so I add seasonal decorations also, like putting up a little shrine for dolls day etc. Or decorate with wreaths, kadomatsu etc for new year. So basically when I am online and remember it I decorate just like I do in RL then x3 and I also sometimes forget to take the decorations down lol sooo it's possible to find fall decorations in spring ⁄(⁄ ⁄•⁄-⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄

Oh and another thing I always put up is a sunflower painting our son made for my work desk when he was 5 xD and I take it everywhere and it was the first thing I took home for homeoffice time, so my hubby scanned it for me and uploaded it so I can have it in SL too x3

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 2

I had a house which had all that ^^^^ stuff, except a bathroom. The single upstairs room doubled up as bedroom and a shower cubicle and vanity unit. But all I did there was hang around doing outfits. I had guests over when it was new but rarely since. So its history.

The lounge/diner on my Houseboat started off that way. Ultra modern white corner sofa units looking out of the french windows. Full dining set for six. I hardly used it. More fun to be had topside. 

So I changed it. I kept one corner unit sofa, but the rest of the space is my studio.

• Like 1

I have furniture enough in my inventory to decorate multiple houses in different styles, but I don't regard having a living room as an essential thing in SL.
It is more decor. I seldom sit somewhere. Maybe for a picture.

At the moment I own a Belli house, but that is my building site for a project I'm working on.
Further I have a 4096 plot but that doesn't contain a house but a small tropical beach where I live outdoors. And I watch TV and sleep at home in RL. 

This is what comes closest to a living room at my plot I guess:

livingroom_002.thumb.jpg.3a22adbdc64ea78f5eb3e2dbebb95d8f.jpg

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

Aside from 'the usual' stuff, like a sofa and a table, I've had a grandfather clock in my living room for ages, and it's one of the first things to go up whenever I move, along with the fireplace. Those two items create a lovely ambiance which is there even if I'm tabbed out of SL to read or do other stuff. And it chimes on the hour and the half hour, which is nifty as I never keep track of time.

Other things that are pretty much must-haves include my Othello board and my solitaire deck.

• Like 1

It really depends on the style of decor I am going for, the old Shinto shrine looked a lot different from the country manor which is worlds apart from the Victorian Linden Home I'm using now. I do tend to have plants in them, though often the ones inside are drying herbs hanging from shelves on the walls, not like potted plants. When I had a large sun room I moved some of the prettier DFS plants down into it from the garden, but typically it's more of an apothecary look, not house plants.

Honestly the only thing that is *always* in my home is the katana display that I work into any decor I am using and the old steampunk-looking wardrobe that is an experience teleporter to send people from my private home to my public parcel.

There are always books, but the style of them varies wildly from an old castle library to a sci-fi tablet that loads NCs to a single book laying on an end table, and usually some form of rezzed out backpack. I have a habit of scripting the books so they hand out little stories, though I don't have one set up at the moment, actually had a library in the manor that every section of the cabinets handed out a different book when you clicked (well, if you opened the glass door and clicked the actual books) though I have never had enough interesting reading material to hand out that I would need an actual library script for it.

• Like 3

Aside from the standard stuff like sofa, couches, coffee table and TV, I also have plenty of plants around my living room along with small pieces of decor to make it look more lively.

Pair of cards on the coffee table, few cups of coffee here and there, one or two shelves with statues and books on them. I have some wall decor like paintings and photo wall where I attach snaps of precious moments with friends. Aside from all the little touches I put around my living room I also have bar table with 2 stools on which I placed my coffee machines and laptop, giving it work from home feel

50 minutes ago, NanashiNyx said:

Honestly the only thing that is *always* in my home is the katana display that I work into any decor

Ha! I keep mine in my bedroom on stand next to my bed :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

...and food XD I love pixel food x3

Yay! 🧁

3 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

So basically when I am online and remember it I decorate just like I do in RL then x3 and I also sometimes forget to take the decorations down lol sooo it's possible to find fall decorations in spring ⁄(⁄ ⁄•⁄-⁄•⁄ ⁄)⁄

Lol, I do this, too. I put down a whole new house and fully decorated every room for Christmas and I'm still working on getting everything down. I'm now back in the cycle of trying to figure out which regular house to use and I'm sure by the time I work it out, the next decorating holiday will be around.

• Like 2

I always have at least a sofa and one or two matching chairs, a coffee table, a rug, a fireplace if possible, and on the wall there will be (amongst other pieces of art) the poster for the first Glastonbelli music festival.  The rest is variable and depends on the size and shape of the room. Currently I have a bookcase, desk and office-chair, a plant, a tall candlestick and a curtain/canopy over the sofa. 

51858965299_7a2f5ab656_b.jpg

• Like 7

Once I place essentials I start adding all the non-essentials like lamps, end tables,  a stereo, small decorations, etc. A fireplace is a good addition to the living room. I would add that if I had the prims to spare. I have put food on the table but I usually take it away after a few days. My brain is telling me that the food will go bad if left out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Well I'm bored so today's question is about our favorite topic... furniture!

I find that when I put together a living room in SL there are certain items that I must include. These are a couch, a coffee table, a television, plants and framed paintings on the walls. If I am missing one of these the room will feel incomplete. The couches have to work. I put in my own sit animations. I also put a book on the table and the television doesn't actually do anything. It's just decoration.

What do you consider to be your living room essentials in SL? Any special reason why you need these items? I am curious if we are all the same or if we have differences due to culture, real life experience, or just personal preference.

• WiFi router I found on the MP
  • Working TV that syncs with multiple people watching.
  • Bad Unicorn plugin air fresher

I would post pics but currently homeless waiting for new modern houses to drop (plus I'm at work). 😁 

• Like 2

My living rooms are usually fairly typical of the sort you might find in any English home, whether it's modern, retro or antique. For years, I owned only the one couch/chair set from Lisp, but I've recently bought more and now I mix things up a bit. There isn't any one particular thing I always have out in the living room, but I have a couple of art pieces that I always include somewhere in the house. One is a set of framed photos of me and Madison, that was a gift from her. The other is an image made by Mabb Dilweg, which is a photoshop of Madison made to look like a classical portrait.  You can see that in the last pic, which is my current living room.

15478718334_d0d1a16743_c.jpg

47788672621_7de2a61fb9_c.jpg

13516755495_584ce47c33_c.jpg

51178043421_50e8dd7236_c.jpg

51086507487_50799643d3_c.jpg

51278034729_f07549deac_c.jpg

Edited by Lewis Luminos
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yay! 🧁

Lol, I do this, too. I put down a whole new house and fully decorated every room for Christmas and I'm still working on getting everything down. I'm now back in the cycle of trying to figure out which regular house to use and I'm sure by the time I work it out, the next decorating holiday will be around.

433006872_Snapshot_010.thumb.jpg.218940113a90af1bf456e250761ac545.jpg

I recently moved from a LH to big mainland parcel...and I just started decorating this week because I have nightshift/lateshift so pushing pixels to calm down after work is calming xD it looks like this atm lmao my inventory puked all over the living room...

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

433006872_Snapshot_010.thumb.jpg.218940113a90af1bf456e250761ac545.jpg

I recently moved from a LH to big mainland parcel...and I just started decorating this week because I have nightshift/lateshift so pushing pixels to calm down after work is calming xD it looks like this atm lmao my inventory puked all over the living room...

That looks so cute and cozy so far! I don't have any pictures of my current home since I dismantled most of it, but I'll toss some in here once I figure out what on Earth I'm doing with it.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 783 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.