random question about landmarks in second life viewer.

AlterNalea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In the standard LL viewer, if you choose to landmark a place by clicking 'World', then 'Landmark This Place', you get the drop down menu at the top left of screen. 

Below where it says "Save this landmark in:" there's a bar that says "Favourites bar" by default. If you click on that bar it opens a list of all your landmarks folders. All you need to do is click the one on that list you want to save to and that's where your landmark ends up (instead of being on the favourites bar). When you've done that just click "save".

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

In the standard LL viewer, if you choose to landmark a place by clicking 'World', then 'Landmark This Place', you get the drop down menu at the top left of screen. 

Below where it says "Save this landmark in:" there's a bar that says "Favourites bar" by default. If you click on that bar it opens a list of all your landmarks folders. All you need to do is click the one on that list you want to save to and that's where your landmark ends up (instead of being on the favourites bar). When you've done that just click "save".

Sure, there are workarounds.

But this was one of the most obnoxious changes to the user interface I have *ever* seen coming from the Lindens.

They need to put it back to the default of NOT going into favourites because obviously not every landmark is a favourite! 

All this changing of the routing should be done WHEN you want to put something in favourites but the default should just go in Landmarks!

Even Lindens uninvolved in the coding of the UI find this annoying.

Why do things like this happen? Why isn't it a priority to put it back?

Answer: because it's easier to undo forever on Firestorm, which most people use.

Therefore the Lindens feel absolutely no pressure from the user base to put this back the way it was.

And there are always forums regs to tell people the workarounds as if the onus of this problem should be on them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

And there are always forums regs to tell people the workarounds as if the onus of this problem should be on them.

That's possibly the most common issue in the entire computer industry!

User: Dear Microsoft... windows has this serious bug...

MS: No it doesn't.

User: Yes it does... look, here it is, and so say another 10,000 users.

MS: No, that's been fixed. This is the workaround you need to do...

User: But that's not a fix, that's a painful workaround that saves you from having to do something and incoveniences all of us instead.

MS: [thread locked].

Edited by Rick Daylight
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if it's like in firestorm you can change the saving destination in the preferences.

( in my favorites i see only lm that i added to my favorite bar)

Admittedly, I don't have patience to navigate the Firestorm Preferences menu, so if it won't cough up a setting with a search ("landm" here), I can't find it, and I can't find it here.

But I'm not sure I'm looking at the right thing anyway: Is this about creating a landmark manually, as I've assumed? In that case Firestorm and the Linden viewer seem to pop up the same dialog for choosing the destination folder. Are we looking for a Firestorm option to change the default choice in that pulldown menu? or is there some desire to not have the landmark creation dialog appear at all?

Catznip apparently just dumps newly created landmarks into the Landmarks folder which is maybe the old way it used to work? There's a landmark creation dialog but it doesn't include a destination folder. That seems familiar but I don't create all that many landmarks that I'd particularly notice a change. Also Catznip has a whole elaborate mechanism for setting default inventory destination folders for received items. I'm guessing that's a tangent here.

FWIW, the Favorites as default behavior accidentally matches my infrequent use of landmarks. In Linden and Firestorm viewers it's easy to right-click the landmark in the Favorites bar and "Move to Landmarks" (which takes a lot more clicks in Catznip) because I tend to park stuff in Favorites as a kind of reminder to check them out, then "archive" them to Landmarks. (Well, actually, I usually just delete them after I visit. Well actually the place is usually defunct by then so I end up deleting without visiting.)

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

Are we looking for a Firestorm option to change the default choice in that pulldown menu?

I believe that this is the case in this topic. As far as I know there is no setting in the viewer to change that. In Firestorm that behavior was specifically changed in the code itself, so landmarks are saved into the Landmarks folder (commit here), while Second Life viewer still saves into Favorites (see this one).

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

We give people the workarounds because we just want to help the user.  While the onus of the problem should not be on the user, the user still wants to do what they want to do.  We cannot compel LL to change their viewer and until they do all we have are workarounds. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Sure, there are workarounds.

But this was one of the most obnoxious changes to the user interface I have *ever* seen coming from the Lindens.

They need to put it back to the default of NOT going into favourites because obviously not every landmark is a favourite! 

All this changing of the routing should be done WHEN you want to put something in favourites but the default should just go in Landmarks!

Even Lindens uninvolved in the coding of the UI find this annoying.

Why do things like this happen? Why isn't it a priority to put it back?

Answer: because it's easier to undo forever on Firestorm, which most people use.

Therefore the Lindens feel absolutely no pressure from the user base to put this back the way it was.

All I was doing was answering a query! 

I wasn't making any judgement on whether the new landmarks system is an improvement or not.

Anyway, what I described isn't a workaround, it's using the new landmarks system in the only way available.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

All I was doing was answering a query! 

I wasn't making any judgement on whether the new landmarks system is an improvement or not.

Anyway, what I described isn't a workaround, it's using the new landmarks system in the only way available.

It *is* a workaround. The original query was how to get the landmark system to stop generating the option to go in "My Favourites". So you suggested one way to move it right after you click to make it. You can also move it out of the top right hand side where it lines up -- and that's another annoyance.

20 hours ago, Rick Daylight said:

That's possibly the most common issue in the entire computer industry!

User: Dear Microsoft... windows has this serious bug...

MS: No it doesn't.

User: Yes it does... look, here it is, and so say another 10,000 users.

MS: No, that's been fixed. This is the workaround you need to do...

User: But that's not a fix, that's a painful workaround that saves you from having to do something and incoveniences all of us instead.

MS: [thread locked].

Not only do I want the Lindens to put this back the way it was. I want to understand their thinking as to why they ever made it this way in the first place. What on EARTH made them think that a newbie wants every single landmark to go in "My Favourites".

It's like broken search. I want them to fix it. But I also want to understand what on EARTH was going through their minds when they had...four....returns on a page instead of 100. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2022 at 2:57 AM, Conifer Dada said:

This was really helpful thank you 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.