What SL teaches about other countries/cultures

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I imagine you with Bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt taking a budweiser in Munich or a cuba libre in Venice. 😂

And that is exactly the whole point about second life, you get to imagine stuff that don't exist, projecting your thoughts to yourself.

(...you forgot the anarchist flag.Cheers. ;))

11 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

And that is exactly the whole point about second life, you get to imagine stuff that don't exist, projecting your thoughts to yourself.

(...you forgot the anarchist flag.Cheers. ;))

Dude it was you who threw it on the ironic by adding lust, James Bond and martini cocktails, showing that you don't care about local customs and therefore you don't really want to appreciate a culture different from yours but just enjoy a kind of work holiday scrounged to your company .
I don't understand the projection on SL and the anarchists but ok.

I was researching small worlds and found this docu. It involves bloody battles. 

I can see Tama's point about how the world could be considered a small world for like pilots or people who travel a lot for like business. How the world is physically small but culturally large and without experiencing the culture sounds like it might be considered superficial? I like Tama's perspective.

I know someone from the middle east and scary to communicate, does not sugar coat the works at all. After a few months took us to develop understanding. 

I wish forums were more like chat where people could have the opportunity to get to know each other organically. People should be able to disagree with each other and if they feel like it debate why. I've formed many meaningful friendships that started with conflict and disagreements. Sorry if anything of that does not make sense. 

Anyways small world, here's the docu.

1 hour ago, Tama Suki said:

Dude it was you who ..

Man that was unimaginably boring. Pass me your patreon and i will tell Elon to contribute to whatever nobble cause you have.

Now lets a enjoy some nice song from some irish lads in a pub.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:
22 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Elon to contribute

Is Elon your cultural reference? That guy that Twitter and the Auschwitz Memorial spanked for posting disgusting memes like just any noob?
I am not surprised.

You seem to prefer ways in which cultures relate in a deeper way.  I prefer that as well, although more superficial aspects can be fun too.

I remember sending a Hostess apple pie in the mail to a woman who is from Portugal. She kept hearing references to pies in movies from the US and had no idea what fruit pie was.  Unfortunately, the customs person at the postal office opened the wrapper and even messed around with the pie, so she didn't want to try a food someone stuck their hands into   :(

One thing I like about Italy is that, on average, the people seem emotionally warmer and not so distant (compared to the US).  It's one of the considerations in my plans to move to Mexico.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You seem to prefer ways in which cultures relate in a deeper way.  I prefer that as well, although more superficial aspects can be fun too.

I remember sending a Hostess apple pie in the mail to a woman who is from Portugal. She kept hearing references to pies in movies from the US and had no idea what fruit pie was.  Unfortunately, the customs person at the postal office opened the wrapper and even messed around with the pie, so she didn't want to try a food someone stuck their hands into   :(

One thing I like about Italy is that, on average, the people seem emotionally warmer and not so distant (compared to the US).  It's one of the considerations in my plans to move to Mexico.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Man that was unimaginably boring. Pass me your patreon and i will tell Elon to contribute to whatever nobble cause you have.

Now lets a enjoy some nice song from some irish lads in a pub.

Sure more diddly-ay stuff from a band that’s not even Irish but Australian. Lol.@Robberinthemuseum 🤣

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

I will be honest with you Sid, it never really bothered me as long as it tasted right (good choice of vodka)

The difference between a shaken and a stirred martini is not only about the way it's treated, the two drinks have very different ingredients too. A high alcoholic drin, like the traditional dry Martini (Vermouth and either gin or vodka) is stirred to mix the ingredients with as little disruption as possible while a relatively low alcohol one with added non-alcoholic ingredients like egg, cream, citrus juices etc. needs a bit of a heavier treatment to force those ingredients that don't really go along very well to stick together. So they have to be shaken (and then usually strained).

The reason so many people get it wrong these days is that they learned from James Bond and/or Tom Cruise, neither of whom had any clue whatsoever about bartending or cocktails.

That being said, most people probably won't notice the difference when a drink that should be stirrred are shaken but if you get it wrong the other way round, the result can be quite gruesome. So when in doubt, shake it! A "stirred matini" and a "shaken amrtini" are still names for two completely different kinds of drinks though.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Nice.. You seem to be well informed, i think that there are some hidden aspects of you that you haven''t shared with us ChinRey...

Well ummm, since you mention it, yes, I have worked in a bar. It was a well paid job by the standards of a high school student and it was at a mountain resort, well away from the prying eyes of law enforcement and such. When  the authorities finally noticed they were hiring underage staff, I was long gone so I never had any problems with it.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

The long-standing dispute over the martini cocktail.
The martini, the real martini is made in the mixer. The shaker has nothing to do with it. Ian Fleming was ignorant of the matter. All the best bartenders have written it in many authoritative publications.
I worked for two seasons on a small island in the Mediterranean and a great barman and above all the customers who knew something about it taught me the art of martini.
You have to let the ice taste a few drops of vermout and then throw it in the sink. Then add the gin and make him love the ice.
Then there is a whole other story about how to treat the cup with ice and lemon twist.

Edited by Tama Suki
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Well ummm, since you mention it, yes, I have worked in a bar. It was a well paid job by the standards of a high school student and by the time the authorities noticed they were hiring underage staff, I was long gone so I never had any problems with it.

I see, same here at beach clubs but only for a couple of summer seasons. ( returning home on a daily basis at 6-7am was a killer.)

14 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

You have to let the ice taste a few drops of vermout and then throw it in the sink. Then add the gin and make him love the ice.
Then there is a whole other story about how to treat the cup with ice and lemon tweest.

That's the dry martini and yes, it should indeed be stirred, not shaken and it only contains gin and vermouth, nothing else. I don't know how kosher this is but I know some bartenders solves the cooling issue by icing the glass rather than allow any ice cubes to drop into it.

But I think we have to accept that there are other drinks carrying the martini name too. Vodka martini for example, is very similar to a dry martini but with vodka instead of gin. I understand that's what James Bond prefers these days. It's amazing how a shipload of money from a big vodka brand can alter your taste buds.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We visited Italy on our honeymoon. On arrival by train in Rome, an official looking fella greeted us on the platform. He asked if we needed accommodations. Of course we did. He rummaged through a satchel full of literature and handed us a map, on which he circled the location of a hotel and some other interesting landmarks. We wandered the streets for some hours, enjoying the places he'd circled before growing weary and heading for the hotel. As we walked up to the desk, wanna guess who stood behind it? The same fella. We felt hoodwinked, but had neither the time nor energy to object.

The next morning, wanting to waste no time searching for other opinions, we asked the hoodwinker for lunch recommendations. He circled a cafe on the map and told us to ask for "Luigi" (made that up, can't remember). Lunch was wonderful, Luigi was gracious and funny. He was also the hoodwinker's brother. He circled more places on the map. We half expected our tour of Rome to also be a tour of the Luigi family.

Our two days at the hotel were wonderful, every recommendation the hoodwinker and his brother made were golden. Lesson learned? Deception ain't always a bad thing.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Well ummm, since you mention it, yes, I have worked in a bar. It was a well paid job by the standards of a high school student and by the time the authorities noticed they were hiring underage staff, I was long gone so I never had any problems with it.

I see, same here at beach clubs but only for a couple of summer seasons. ( returning home on a daily basis at 6-7am was a killer.)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That's the dry martini and yes, it should indeed be stirred, not shaken and it only contains gin and vermouth, nothing else. I don't know how kosher this is but I know some bartenders solves the cooling issue by icing the glass rather than allow any ice cubes to drop into it.

But I think we have to accept that there are other drinks carrying the martini name too. Vodka martini for example, is very similar to a dry martini but with vodka instead of gin. I understand that's what James Bond prefers these days. It's amazing how a shipload of money from a big vodka brand can alter your taste buds.

Yes sure. Then in the end I didn't become a real bartender. I know how to make dry martini and a couple of other things well.
To cool the cup, they taught me to sink it into ice while preparing the drink and then take it out only when I poured the cocktail.
However this is a very valuable slice of American culture.
The American bar is a true art that unfortunately in Italy people have never really learned to know and appreciate, there are few people in these parts who can really give satisfaction to a barman.

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Yes? No?  

martini_3.jpg

I don't drink but if I did I would love one of these extra dirty. A few weeks back I learned what that means by watching the show below deck mediterranean (the reality yacht show with captain sandy (I love shows with female captains, star trek voyager) anyways). On that yacht show one of the crew explained that dirty is with olive juice and extra dirty is with extra olive juice. Yummy. Maybe a virgin martini extra dirty lol. I guess that would be olive juice? I like pickle juice so, I don't think i've ever drank olive juice before.. I guess the booze is vokda i guess anything could be a martini. rum martini? prolly barf with olive juice. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Paulsian said:

I don't drink but if I did I would love one of these extra dirty. A few weeks back I learned what that means by watching the show below deck mediterranean (the reality yacht show with captain sandy (I love shows with female captains, star trek voyager) anyways). On that yacht show one of the crew explained that dirty is with olive juice and extra dirty is with extra olive juice. Yummy. Maybe a virgin martini extra dirty lol. I guess that would be olive juice? I like pickle juice so, I don't think i've ever drank olive juice before.. I guess the booze is vokda i guess anything could be a martini. rum martini? prolly barf with olive juice. 

I don't drink either but it seems they'll put anything in a can now.  My husband likes tomato juice to which he always adds a dash of pickle juice.  But, only one specific kind...

https://m.facebook.com/Hermanns-Pickles-204950646222444/

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't drink either but it seems they'll put anything in a can now.  My husband likes tomato juice to which he always adds a dash of pickle juice.  But, only one specific kind...

tomato juice with pickle juice sounds like a combo i'd try salty tangy, nice. I was going to pick up some tomato juice, going to motivate me to pick up some pickles too :) Must try flavor.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.