Blake Sea off limits?

DejahVue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure if this belongs here but my dilemma is this; I recently bought a power yacht but I am unable to sail out of "coastal waters" and into the more open ocean areas of the Blake Sea as I simply keep bumping up against the sim lines, never crossing over. So far I've tried this from four distantly separated rez points, always with the same result. Can somebody give me some insight as to why this is happening?

Thanks,

D.D.

Oh that's a good question, never thought of it. I'll keep that in mind next time I go out. So I guess the real question is, how do you tell the difference?  Either way it would seem, from my experience so far, that the Blake Sea only really consists of the thin strip of ocean around the edges of the continental sims.

• Haha 1

Void regions do not have names when you look at them on the map, or at least they don't in Firestorm. I'd check the SL viewer for you, but the thing keeps crashing when I try to start it. Anyway, another way to tell is when I click on a void sim on the map, and it says "loading...." instead of showing the region name.

To see what I mean, look at the region Rivadulla on the map. It's a water region, and you can sail in it. The region just to the east of it is a void region. If you look closely at the map, the void ones don't seem to have any texture to them, whereas sailable regions have various degrees of waviness to their look. 

1 hour ago, DejahVue said:

Oh that's a good question, never thought of it. I'll keep that in mind next time I go out. So I guess the real question is, how do you tell the difference?  Either way it would seem, from my experience so far, that the Blake Sea only really consists of the thin strip of ocean around the edges of the continental sims.

https://www.crispsl.com/post/the-blake-sea-in-secondlife

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DejahVue said:

Also keep in mind that you usually cannot sail off private estates. (non-mainland). You could also take a look at this...

https://modemworld.me/2020/06/25/the-maps-and-more-of-second-life/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DejahVue said:

I simply keep bumping up against the sim lines, never crossing over

What you describe is what happens when you sail off world or into a region that is offline. Use the world map and/or the mini-map to see which regions edges are the "end of the world" and/or which regions are offline.

Pedantically speaking, the "Blake Sea" is a collection of regions whose name begin with "Blake Sea", such as "Blake Sea - Atlantic". If you can start in a region and sail to a Blake Sea region, then that region is said to be connected to the Blake Sea.

(Aside...it the hope of many that someday, all the continents, in particular Bellisseria, will have water regions that are connected to the Blake Sea)

• Like 1

As others have said, use the map (really good in Firestorm viewer) and you'll easily be able to differentiate what is really sea and sailable from the void/unfilled ones. It's especially tricky at the one end where my island rental is ... there are two voids and only a narrow canal of water to sail along to avoid hitting this edge.

The mini-map (Ctrl Shift M in firestorm) is the best tool for navigating and spotting voids. Also by R-clicking it and selecting Show Property Lines, you can see the boundaries of parcels that with a little pattern recognition will help you to recognise rezz areas and linden protected passages when you are in less open regions.

As well as bumping in to voids, another possibility is your Power Yacht if one of the large ones using more prims than available, so the region won't let you enter.  You are most likely to encounter this problem on residential regions, like those in Honah Lee, Sailors Cove, Second Norway etc. The Blake Sea regions themselves are mostly open water with a few public "mole built" islands and landscaping they will generally have thousands of free prims.

A boat using 200 prims or less will generally be okay even in the residential areas, but not always if someone has gone over prim or someone has moored their Mega Yacht there.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

On 2/22/2022 at 9:54 PM, rasterscan said:

There is public rez zones for boats at the blake sea. I hazily recall one at somewhere called 'half hitch' ?

Every "proper" Blake Sea region (with Blake Sea actually in its name) has a rez zone in the NE corner.  For other regions, a lot of the marinas also have public rez. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blakes seas, are almost impossible to navigate since i came back to it. I found under water mole hills near Honna lee, that are higher than my yachts keel can clear (Oceanic). so I dont bother using it although it cost me :(.....Flying is a waste of time, i have 35 aircraft and all crash. Isnt it about time LL put in technology to make ocean ways completely seamless like in pc games and consoles. I left Blakes seas a long time ago now although im still a certified Air trafffic controller. the last  month i have had more failures of crossings than i had before 2013. If we had seamless oceans each grid wouldn't have to load the bloody plane and pax every few miles. Its really so almost distressing, that people just fall out of planes ....you cant run a proper Airline without it being a reliable flight. despite the techs of aircraft design, the grids just fail to accommodate and chuck you offworld. Surely in 2022 Linden directors can do better, world of warship i play never flinches ev ery day i play it. the grids are so outdated, unless work is done to change the grid structure i cant see mant staying. the only thing in second life where everbody goes now is adult sims.

I actually open my new one in a few days. as alternative gender and sexual Identity has taken off a lot, and of course some people in rl dont want to a packed Real club being so close you are likely to pick up covid which hasn't gone away. Its daft really. for the first time in my second life since 2007 I have managed to afford a near top end computer 9 months costing £1000, but it seems its actually worse in performance and stability than my old windows 7 puter that hardly crashed in SL.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:54 PM, Katherine Heartsong said:

Grr, mega yachts. Oceanic or BBX sailboats FTW!

I love my oceanic yacht but most oceans around islands in Blakes seas are not deep enough to take the lenght of the keel, so sadly have had to stop using it. even berths near Holloywood airport, cant take the Oceanic, as its roo long to fit, or colides with the bottom which is far to shallow

7 minutes ago, Michaelatv Destiny said:

I love my oceanic yacht but most oceans around islands in Blakes seas are not deep enough to take the lenght of the keel, so sadly have had to stop using it. even berths near Holloywood airport, cant take the Oceanic, as its roo long to fit, or colides with the bottom which is far to shallow

I was speaking about my Oceanic sailboat, similar in size to the BBX ones.

On 2/18/2022 at 5:59 PM, diamond Marchant said:

(Aside...it the hope of many that someday, all the continents, in particular Bellisseria, will have water regions that are connected to the Blake Sea)

They *really* need to just surround all the mainland areas where they sold right to the edge with water sims, like the old "open space" ones they don't sell anymore, not let anyone buy or build on them (though some Linden owned things could be nice, like oil platforms or floating helipads and docks) and just use it for navigation so you can get *anywhere* even when some land owner terraformed the entire coastline to insane mutilations and put up ban lines and orbs all over the place.

I'm sure there are plenty of users who could set up sims better than Linden Labs, but then they could also sell them to someone who will make a mess of it, so the whole point of making a navigation border would be lost.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 7:36 AM, Michaelatv Destiny said:

Blakes seas, are almost impossible to navigate since i came back to it. I found under water mole hills near Honna lee, that are higher than my yachts keel can clear (Oceanic). so I dont bother using it although it cost me :(.....Flying is a waste of time, i have 35 aircraft and all crash. Isnt it about time LL put in technology to make ocean ways completely seamless like in pc games and consoles. I left Blakes seas a long time ago now although im still a certified Air trafffic controller. the last  month i have had more failures of crossings than i had before 2013. If we had seamless oceans each grid wouldn't have to load the bloody plane and pax every few miles. Its really so almost distressing, that people just fall out of planes ....you cant run a proper Airline without it being a reliable flight. despite the techs of aircraft design, the grids just fail to accommodate and chuck you offworld. Surely in 2022 Linden directors can do better....

They have done better, way better as far as crossing behavior in general goes. No, it's not a total open world environment which yes would be epic, but again the improvements to crossings have been a very welcomed change of things were.

I was out this morning at Blake, not so much of a blip going from Sailors Cove to Halfway Bay. and the back after changing boats. I was out at Bellisseria yesterday, same thing, not so much as even a slow crossing. I fly constantly, near daily, and it's rare to see a problem, outside of ducking orbs, and restarting sims on Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings (which, ok that one is bad timing on my part). 

The problem I've found that people have, similar to the ones you mentioned, as in for example being kicked from the vehicle, is because they're avi's are way too heavy. Huds, extras, dressed up like a fashion show, and so on. You have to dial back your avi, some people don't like that idea, I know, but it honestly helps with these problems. 

As for the shallows, I sail N&K tall ships from time to time, so I understand the frustration of bottoming out (especially by Honna Lee ). However Blake is huge, and there's plenty of paths that can be taken to avoid the mole's "sense of terraforming humor" as I like to call it.  Try sailing more towards the open sections, and even head up north, there's a huge open water section there.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vicious Hollow said:

The problem I've found that people have, similar to the ones you mentioned, as in for example being kicked from the vehicle, is because they're avi's are way too heavy. Huds, extras, dressed up like a fashion show, and so on. You have to dial back your avi, some people don't like that idea, I know, but it honestly helps with these problems. 

They did introduce a problem with region crossings when they moved to the cloud severs. It affects some people and some vehicles, it affects me especially badly on Motorloon's boats, I can reliably have the boat forget I am standing on it and come to a stop within one or two region crossings. For mod boats using avsitter for poses there is a solution with replacement scripts that will work with mod boats. Uggo has a fix for Avsit 1.29 and for Avsitter 2.2.  Carla Wetter has also released her fix for Avsitter 2.2.   They both deserve a credit because they investigated my experience and came up with a solution. Others report improved performance with the scripts too and the latest boat from Dutch harbor comes pre-released with Uggo''s scripts and a credit to him in the release notes.

Unfortunately the MLCC Oceanic like the Loonetta is no mod, so the likelihood of getting those working again for me at least seems remote and dependent on Motorloon coming back to SL. Really Linden Lab should fix the problem, but I am not sure if they have even acknowledged there is a problem I raised it on a Jira that then got closed and hidden from me. I don't really know what I am doing with Jira's so maybe my fault. But it is what it is and there is a problem for MLCC boats and other no mod boats, but at least a fix for mod ones using Avsitter.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Vicious Hollow said:

As for the shallows, I sail N&K tall ships from time to time, so I understand the frustration of bottoming out (especially by Honna Lee ). However Blake is huge, and there's plenty of paths that can be taken to avoid the mole's "sense of terraforming humor" as I like to call it.  Try sailing more towards the open sections, and even head up north, there's a huge open water section there.  

I think the big Ktaba J-Class boats have the deepest keels... part of the fun is planning your route ahead to avoid the shallows, especially around Nautilus.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

They did introduce a problem with region crossings when they moved to the cloud severs....

That issue came about (I believe but don't hold me to this) prior to the migration, when LL put in a whole new crossing code, which worked great, until someone complained their passengers kept getting ejected (which many of us oddly never experienced) , so LL introduced a fix, which in turn kills avsitter. I too tried to report it on Jira as well, and got the same exact result as you did which left feeling  very the same way.  

...and no doubt Carla, Uggo and all that helped and worked on those fixes deserve a huge round of applause - those avsitter fixes have been a true blessing! ;) 

I will say one thing regarding the bug, in the past recent months, since things have been "improved" on the performance side of the grid,  when using an non-fixed boat (as in no avsitter fix) I won't say it's rare to see the bug, but happens way less now. I've only seen it, again on a non-fixed/updated boat, only on  harder or rougher known crossings or those "long" ones where it feels like you get launched out of a rocket, skipping across the grid for a moment.  

• Thanks 1

Always a good idea to open your mini map when sailing.  Also right click on the map and under Show, click on property lines.  You will want this so you can easily spot the Blake Sea Rez Areas in every NE corner of Blake Sea regions.  The mini map will also show areas where you can Rez in blue while parcels with ban lines will be red.  

• Like 2

Hi quite a few interesting comments here.😁. Like Im finding, the only things that dont suffer offworld crashes seem to be slow craft, I remember buying a WWII diesel long U Boat from a once popular boat builder. I went through many sims at 1/4 power undersea with no problems. May be the technology that loads up the avi and boats could somehow be speeded up with a New Coding or upgrade. as for stepping out like a fashion model , apart from an Oyster (Omega_ looking watch from Bandit, that I take off even in clubs, those resize scripts are fading away from SL as fitted mesh and no mod clothes take over from Classic old style. That should really help crossings but in practice, even though at last being retired I recently bought the most expensive computer for me at £1000 with a geforce GTX, its actually for me not helped, in fact the opposite, when I used to Run only ATI graphic cards. Strange because I can log in my alt in my club and me, and there's not a whisker of lag. but take a Turbroprop out of Hollywood, I get just three sims out and thats it, offworld on bottom of sea bed. I notice a reduction in and   around around Blakes. I would accept these problems when planes were still Prims, and like 290 prims. I think maybe its the hud , the extra sophistication of opening doors , flaps, lights, scripted landing gear etc. may be the cause. I used to have a gesture I made that calls out the minimums from 500 feet to 10 and land, this worked without problem, and it included sounds of the reverse thrust at the same time in order. but if i play that now on landing, I get failed landings near the edge of grid, so another realistic part i cant really use anymore. Just my two penny worth 👍

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.