Chastity within virtual worlds

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Who cares?

If you're incel, you either need lower standards or better landmarks.

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And some serious therapy.

Actually, if you're choosing not to partake because you don't think the options are good enough, wouldn't that be voluntary celibate, not involuntary?

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Actually, if you're choosing not to partake because you don't think the options are good enough, wouldn't that be voluntary celibate, not involuntary?

Not with incels. They expicitly demand that PRETTY girls have to sleep with them - people did point out to them that they could get sex if they themselves lower their standarts, which they explicity refused, like the little sad clowns they are.

Edit: I mean, according to their own wonky internal logic that makes it involuntary for them. They're pretty much voluntarily celebate.

Edited by Sukubia Scarmon
  • Like 4

On 2/15/2022 at 2:17 PM, Bree Giffen said:

There is this particular horizontal activity in SL which residents can choose to partake, refrain from, or perhaps seek but are denied. Those who choose do not to participate would be called, or call themselves, chaste, virgins, aces, asexual, or even incels.

How do you view others who have this particular status within SL?

I'm going to hand my keyboard to my 18 year old daughter who is Asexual. 

Aces are asexual. Different words, same meaning, aces is just a nickname for asexual. Neither of them CHOOSE to be that way. SO why anyone would have an opinion on their sexual activity, yes aces do engage in it when the mood strikes, is beyond me. It would be like having an opinion on everyone with blue eyes, or brown hair, or brown skin. You should view them equally as you do anyone else in RL or SL. Having any sort of opinion on something they have no control over is just wrong. Personally, I am tired of being labelled by adults who have never met me. 

Back to dad.. 

On 2/15/2022 at 9:37 PM, Katherine Heartsong said:

I just tell them I'm a guy IRL, that moves them along quickly enough and 99% of the time stops the foreplay dead in it's tracks :)

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. If you portray yourself as female in SL then i will think of you as female.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Okay, I must have missed the memo that the word "other" is now verboten.

A textbook example of not wanting to understand something.
Sigh.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 10

What do I think of people who don't partake in SLex?

The same as I think of people who do.  I hope they are enjoying their SecondLife.  I wonder what their hobbies are. I wonder where they're from.  Do they like snakes?  Do they create things?  What kind of music do they like?  I wonder where they got that cute shoulder pet.  Do they have a great sense of humor?  Can they carry on deep conversations without taking themselves too seriously?  what about insects?  Do they let them be or squash them in fear?  I wonder what the last book they read was.

I don't think I have ever thought to wonder why they don't have SLex and what status/label I should give them or whether I should judge them by their answer to a question I would never ask.

• Like 16

On 16.02.2022 at 19:44, Bree Giffen said:

Начинает казаться, что люди просто больше не заботятся о других. Неужели мы все такие эгоистичные?

she clearly calls out for compassion😸

[redacted by moderators]

Nobody so far knows the OP’s experience behind their post, she never bothered to come back and tell us after insulting a whole range of people in broad strokes.

I don’t partake in SL sex however I don’t “call myself” (to use OP’s own words) chaste or virgin as I engage in such activities in RL quite happily like many others in SL.

Like others I also don’t go around throwing random labels at people who do or don’t do a particular activity either.
Grouping asexuals (a sexual orientation) with incels (a subculture with negative connotations) and virgin or chaste people (someone who refrains from sexual activity for personal, religious reasons etc) is not only ignorant and insensitive at best, but also trollish giving the wide community of all orientations and preferences that SL tries to welcome.

If it were any other forum poster who had started this thread, they would be already called out for what they are, i.e. troll and the thread would be probably locked by now.

Edited by Dyna Mole
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Only my intention was never to troll. The question was sincere and tailored to evoke discussion. I originally started with just chastity as the reason for not having slex but felt that didn’t describe all the reasons. I had to google for things like asexual and incel. I never intended it to be seen as giving one person all the same label. And… the question was on how you thought of others in order to not cast labels on those answering.

It’s also a method of polling to ask people about others around them. It’s like asking, “Do you drive over the speed limit in you neighborhood?” Most people will say no but if you ask, “Do other people drive over the speed limit in your neighborhood?” People will say yes. 

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Only my intention was never to troll. The question was sincere and tailored to evoke discussion. I originally started with just chastity as the reason for not having slex but felt that didn’t describe all the reasons. I had to google for things like asexual and incel. I never intended it to be seen as giving one person all the same label. And… the question was on how you thought of others in order to not cast labels on those answering.

It’s also a method of polling to ask people about others around them. It’s like asking, “Do you drive over the speed limit in you neighborhood?” Most people will say no but if you ask, “Do other people drive over the speed limit in your neighborhood?” People will say yes. 

Let's conclude that the starting post wasn't the best worded one in the history of Internet forums.
When I first read it, being asexual, I wasn't really pleased, to say the least.

Thanks for your further explanation. If you had given that on page one, a lot of posts would not have been more about you than about the underlying idea of the post.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

But there is a difference between "Do other people drive over the speed limit in your neighborhood?" and "What do you think about people who drive over the speed limit in your neighborhood?" I think thats what people had issues with.

For me it was mainly odd how you threw all those very different groups into the same box and how having virtual sex was placed as not just normal but as such a centerpiece that does who don't do it would benefit from being in a different virtual world, where its not present, instead.

I also think that viewing virtual sex as "the norm" leaves out the perspective that actually the majority of people outside second life and other, similar "bubbles/communities" might find the whole concept quite abnormal or strange.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Let's conclude that the starting post wasn't the best worded one in the history of Internet forums.
When I first read it, being asexual, I wasn't really pleased, to say the least.

I think a better conclusion considering your accusations of it not being better worded and me of not wanting to learn something new without actually linking anything that you think I should be learning, is for you to then rewrite the OP in such a way you wouldn't find offence and yet still still retain the essence of what was being asked. That way we could maybe all learn something for future reference.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I do believe that you very genuinely did not intend this to be trolling. When I see something that flies into a thread from left field coming from you, I don't ever think "here is that troll again" -- I generally smile a little and think, "Oh, Bree . . ."

But it's never a good idea to ask one group of people what they think of another group of people. How well do you suppose a thread on "Women, what do you think of men?" would go? It would not be pretty.

Yes, pollsters and researchers and marketers do this kind of thing a lot, but those instances are in highly controlled contexts, with very carefully designed questions that don't have biases embedded in them.

And they are not undertaken on a public forum which includes a sizable number of the people you are asking about.

Honestly, this would have been a disaster even without the lists of labels you included.

Anyway, I think we know you were not just being mean. ("Oh, Bree . . .")

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I think a better conclusion considering your accusations of it not being better worded and me of not wanting to learn something new without actually linking anything that you think I should be learning, is for you to then rewrite the OP in such a way you wouldn't find offence and yet still still retain the essence of what was being asked. That way we could maybe all learn something for future reference.

One way to reword the original post would be to avoid painting asexuals, incels, virgins and chaste people as one and the same.

There’s nothing for us to learn here, only the OP could have posed the question without sounding so ignorant.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

One way to reword the original post would be to avoid painting asexuals, incels, virgins and chaste people as one and the same.

There’s nothing for us to learn here, only the OP could have posed the question without sounding so ignorant.

Oh well that explains the confusion then. To me since there were 4 different words used, I understood it to mean they were not all one and the same but different people with different reasonings for not engaging in virtual sex.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You try to keep the fire burning until the last twig is gone into ashes, don't you?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 951 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.