Amazing timelapse of a crawler bot automatically moving the entire region of RUSTICA up exactly 80m, item by item! Never done before!

Maxwell Graf

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Crawler bots have been around for a few years, but nobody has ever used one to move thousands and thousands of objects from where they were 80m up into the air. Until now. After relocating the Rustica region to connect it to the Steamlands community of New Babbage, I discovered it was 80meters below all the other regions there, leaving me somewhat in a hole.

Enter Beq Janus and Elizabeth Jarvinen, longtime engineers of New Babbage and scripters extraordinaire! I had a problem, they had an idea and they spent days perfecting the method you will see in the video below. Essentially, the bot was released on the region and scanned layer by layer, meter by meter, from 200m down to 0m. When it encountered an item, it would link itself to it, move it up 80m and delink itself and go back to where it left off. It took a region rollback and a couple of adjustments to get it right, but in the end, it worked flawlessly. It purposefully skipped any running scripted items, which were easy enough to drop "go up 80m" scripts into to get them to go up perfectly.

When finished, we moved the water level up to the proper position with the other regions, then went to the final step: Moving the terrain itself. After exporting the RAW file from the region edit terrain menu, Beq edited the RAW file channel data to have it re-import 80m higher, which, when completed, put it in the perfect position in 1 click without having to use the bulldozer at all.

Really amazing to see something like this to my baby after 14 years of it being relatively unchanged. If you have not been to Rustica, please come visit and wander around. If you have, come back and see the wonderful new digs! There goes the neighborhood!

Major thanks again to Elizabeth and Beq, two amazing minds who just did an amazing thing. Major thanks also to the concierge team, land team, moles and Wendi Linden who worked with us to get this done!

-Max

Edited by Maxwell Graf
  • Like 22

3 hours ago, Maxwell Graf said:

Crawler bots have been around for a few years, but nobody has ever used one to move thousands and thousands of objects from where they were 80m up into the air. Until now. After relocating the Rustica region to connect it to the Steamlands community of New Babbage, I discovered it was 80meters below all the other regions there, leaving me somewhat in a hole.

Enter Beq Janus and Elizabeth Jarvinen, longtime engineers of New Babbage and scripters extraordinaire! I had a problem, they had an idea and they spent days perfecting the method you will see in the video below. Essentially, the bot was released on the region and scanned layer by layer, meter by meter, from 200m down to 0m. When it encountered an item, it would link itself to it, move it up 80m and delink itself and go back to where it left off. It took a region rollback and a couple of adjustments to get it right, but in the end, it worked flawlessly. It purposefully skipped any running scripted items, which were easy enough to drop "go up 80m" scripts into to get them to go up perfectly.

When finished, we moved the water level up to the proper position with the other regions, then went to the final step: Moving the terrain itself. After exporting the RAW file from the region edit terrain menu, Beq edited the RAW file channel data to have it re-import 80m higher, which, when completed, put it in the perfect position in 1 click without having to use the bulldozer at all.

Really amazing to see something like this to my baby after 14 years of it being relatively unchanged. If you have not been to Rustica, please come visit and wander around. If you have, come back and see the wonderful new digs! There goes the neighborhood!

Major thanks again to Elizabeth and Beq, two amazing minds who just did an amazing thing. Major thanks also to the concierge team, land team, moles and Wendi Linden who worked with us to get this done!

-Max

That's amazing! It's like a super turbo rez-faux. 

Not the kind of build you can pick up in the yellow box!

I'm glad you're still in SL.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.