Streaming music to your land?

DjWhiteBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm looking into renting land.. but how do you tell if the land you are interested in will give you the ability to stream your own music to it? I mean, the landlord can just lie and say it has the ability, and then you rent from him and it doesn't.. right?

So how do noobs like me be sure that I can stream music?

EDIT: In response to replies.  I have my own stream that I pay for.. music etc.   I know how to stream it via shoutcast board at clubs..  but how does one actually stream music to their own land and set all that up?  My friend was renting a skybox.. and she said she didn't have the option to do so like she did when she was a premium member and owned her land

5 answers to this question

If you already have a stream you like, the rest is a snap.  If you have owner or manager rights to any parcel, you can set the stream in it by using the tools in About Land.  You have to be standing in the parcel at the time.  Click the Audio tab (not the Media tab) and type the URL for your stream in the obvious box.  (ETA:  Some viewers only have a Media tab.  If yours is like that, you'll find the Music URL box on that same page. ) If your stream is alive, it should play right away.   For more information, see https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Streaming_Music

In addition to the responses posted, you can purchase (at low cost) a radio that comes preset wtih stations and a search mechanism that allows you to add stations.  You can put your stream URL into the configuration card in the radio (under the last tab...read the instructions..they are easy to follow).  Then, when you want to play your stream, just change the channel on the radio.  If you rent land, your landlord will need to place the radio on the parcel for you.  If you purchase the land, you can do it yourself.  Again, these are all in the instructions that come with the radio you purchase.

I DJ in SL and stream to my parcel to test the stream before I work using my radio.

• Like 2

Hello WhiteBoi. That Rolig said. You need rights of owner or manager and specifically the right "Change music @ media settings" under Parcel settings in the group the land you want to rent is set to. If you rent just a skybox in the middle of nowhere, obviously you will not have this right. So remember to arrange with the owner for this right i reported.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.