Wanted- Investors for a SIM 1/4 region.

Mrdjvoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The title says a majority of what I'm looking for. I am trying to find investors to help with land cost on setting up a second life club/place to chill. I'm getting a great deal on a 1/4 sim with 5000 prims(16,384 sqm). More prims can be purchased from the land sales agent I'm buying from if needed. But I figure for a start out, this is a cheap option. I would be willing to subdivide the land and split payment. IM me in game if you are interested. I am also using the land to try and become a DJ, and or be the DJ for the entire venue.

Edited by Mrdjvoo
addition of details

2 hours ago, Mrdjvoo said:

The title says a majority of what I'm looking for. I am trying to find investors to help with land cost on setting up a second life club/place to chill. I'm getting a great deal on a 1/4 sim with 5000 prims(16,384 sqm). More prims can be purchased from the land sales agent I'm buying from if needed. But I figure for a start out, this is a cheap option. I would be willing to subdivide the land and split payment. IM me in game if you are interested. I am also using the land to try and become a DJ, and or be the DJ for the entire venue.

What sort of return can these investors expect? How have you calculated that? Second Life clubs are not generally profitable.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Mrdjvoo said:

I think it's important to understand in SL starting out that land is not an investment. Land is a cost center. First of all there's the purchase cost, which you can't always make back -- then It's a recurring cost every month -- the tier. At the non-discount level, it's not a good deal; it's only good as a starting proposition -- that is, for anyone who owns a sim already, they would pay less for the next 1/4 sim than just the flat 1/4 itself. 

An investment is something that you pay money into, and with a business plan, it pays you back in profits after costs after some expected period of time. So if a club had admission fees or drinks for sale, as it would in RL, then you would have revenue. What is the revenue in a virtual club? Most run at a loss and are hangouts for friends. There are only expenses, even if you don't pay yourself as the DJ. You will have greeters or dancers or bouncers or all of the above -- and more. They will all need to be paid something. Even if you try to do without any of this, it's hard to manage by yourself. What about the building, the drink dispensers, the dance balls? They aren't cheap, especially with the couples dancing or line dancing.

The tip jars don't cut it, and those might have to go to the workers. That is, tips don't cover even the cost of the tier (US $67 per month). Most people don't leave RL size tips, they leave $100 or $250 Lindens. $67 = $16,750 Lindens. Where is that $16,750 Lindens going to come from? What would you sell in order to make that money? Because you can't be sure that month after month, you will get at least 160 people consistently  leaving $105 tips or whatever.

What a lot of clubs do is add merchants' booths or vendors or ads and try to get people in other businesses to buy ads in the club. There is a lot of competition in this space already.  I personally purchase 3-6 of these each week in various venues and wouldn't add more but I'm a small business. But it's hard to drum up those ads -- and again, you are staring at that $16,750 per month. So you're hustling a mixture of sub-rentals to merchants, tips, possibly some content sales -- t-shirts? And it's hard to get that out of a club every month.

So you want someone to help you cover costs -- understood. Don't we all! But you can't really describe it as an investment to them, because it's a money sink without a clear path for generating revenue. Hope that helps.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

As others have stated above, SL Clubs generally do not turn a profit. You might be able to make money renting out homes or shops, but only if the parcels are pretty much all rented out and for shops there has to be potential customers coming there.

I was involved in running a sim that was one quarter free sandbox (with small shops surrounding it), one half a very pretty artsy environment with a train running through it, and the rest a combination of home and shop parcels. We had plenty of foot traffic, but hardly any donations. The shops around the sandbox area (which were my idea) and one home parcel were the only reliable source of income, and even they didn't come close to covering the cost of paying tier for the sim. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no need to have a quarter region for your club. Too big a space will make it feel empty even when you have people there.

Make your club the size you can afford and enjoy running it, as you build up regulars if they want to contribute to a bigger space then that is something to think about, but until then keep it small.

• Like 3

20 people dancing on a 4096 lot is not the problem, but the amount of recources they use is.
That is why most private sim landlords only allow clubs on larger chunks of land, to distribute the use of resources of a sim more evenly over all parcels.
It is not so nice for you and your spouse to hardly be able to move on your own parcel when next door there is an event going on.
So to justify the resource usage towards the other tenants on the sim that there are 20 people who are fully dressed up for the occasion on your land, you need about half a sim.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.