Melancholy Virtual Bubble // A Thought

Eggy UwU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This was a little piece I wrote on how we put ourselves into a virtual bubble and a slight affect it can have on us. Please enjoy! I'd love to hear some thoughts on this! ❤️

Have you ever caught yourself feeling more melancholy these days, than ever before?

I know I have.

Why?

I feel lonely because we sit here with the technology that the human-race has never had access to, before now.

We sit here, right in front of each other at the same table with our technological devices (i.e. -- phones, laptops, tablets, and more) a few inches from our human faces.

We seem to put ourselves into a distracted bubble, what I call "The Virtual Bubble."

How does that feel? Especially when we "snap back" to reality at times: such as times when we actually sit down with our thoughts and ourselves with no distractions; no virtual bubble.

It feels: melancholy and lonely.

The longer we sit in our virtual bubbles, the lonelier we feel.

That's the sacrifice of our humanity.

• Like 3

Lonely? Yes.
Therefore you use your bubble time ❤️ for total immersion in creativity which personifies your entire being.
This, in turn attracts those of a similar ilk in RL and magnifies opinions of those who have always believed in you,
(as a good and decent artist/creator/person), one thousand fold.
It all works out in the end. 😸  
Unless you are hoodwinked by modern day charlatans saying you need "more pix - more followers - more stuff - more blah blah blah").

• Like 3

Beautiful written ❤️

But I don't feel lonely at all. In SL I only have RL friends on my list now, but my SL screentime is very limited ...on purpose. And I am just there for decorating my home, dressing up my pixel doll or having fun with RL friends and family exploring...it's a hell of a messy loud wild lan party ride everytime lmao

RL ? We have a box for example in the kitchen where we all put our phones before cooking or baking together or eating ☺️ 

When me or my husband come from work we also make sure to put away the phone (and work lol) completely and just spend cuddle and listening time with the kids.

Same box like in the kitchen we have in the living room for movie times or times we sit and play board games (which we do at least twice a week), you can also use technology to bond...for example the whole family (3 kids, me and husband and even parents in-law) love playing wild switch Sessions or going to karaoke together x3 

My kids luckily love reading a lot like my husband and I and they read books of course but also have e-readers so technology is not always bad.

People have always been lonely, and in my teens when I was very depressive I was lonely surrounded in a crowd of friends and we did not have Smartphones or PCs at home back then.

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 3

Iggy,

I appreciate that you shared something really personal.  We hear a lot about this now days - how everyone is hypnotized by their phones / computers / consoles / gaming ... etc.

I tend to agree,  that if you spend too much time in a "virtual life",  on your phone,  tuned into social media, etc.,  you can isolate yourself and become very lonely in the "real world".

All things are about balance -  too much of a good thing isn't good.     I like to unplug and go camping,  away from the noise pollution of suburban life.   It helps me recharge and when I get back and login to SL or watch a video on Tik Tok etc.,   I just enjoy it for what it is - entertainment.  

I also agree with Maryanne ~  especially in SL,  you can use technology to express your creativity and that's very healthy - as long as you don't tie it into social media and a popularity contest.

Best wishes to you :)

• Like 3

I feel a bit the opposite…I would have gone crackers over the past two years if I hadn’t been able to Zoom family and friends, watch DJ sets on Twitch, work remotely, watch language tutorials and keep up to date with Covid developments around the world...and we had a local London Covid support group on Whatsapp... loved it when that Italian town sang to each other through their windows when they went into lockdown :x  I wouldn't have known that happened without technology…

But I also love being offline and going to the park, or getting lost in a book…😎 

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Lonely? Yes.
Therefore you use your bubble time ❤️ for total immersion in creativity which personifies your entire being.
This, in turn attracts those of a similar ilk in RL and magnifies opinions of those who have always believed in you,
(as a good and decent artist/creator/person), one thousand fold.
It all works out in the end. 😸  
Unless you are hoodwinked by modern day charlatans saying you need "more pix - more followers - more stuff - more blah blah blah").

this is such great advice! i appreciate your response. ^^

7 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

Beautiful written ❤️

But I don't feel lonely at all. In SL I only have RL friends on my list now, but my SL screentime is very limited ...on purpose. And I am just there for decorating my home, dressing up my pixel doll or having fun with RL friends and family exploring...it's a hell of a messy loud wild lan party ride everytime lmao

RL ? We have a box for example in the kitchen where we all put our phones before cooking or baking together or eating ☺️ 

When me or my husband come from work we also make sure to put away the phone (and work lol) completely and just spend cuddle and listening time with the kids.

Same box like in the kitchen we have in the living room for movie times or times we sit and play board games (which we do at least twice a week), you can also use technology to bond...for example the whole family (3 kids, me and husband and even parents in-law) love playing wild switch Sessions or going to karaoke together x3 

My kids luckily love reading a lot like my husband and I and they read books of course but also have e-readers so technology is not always bad.

People have always been lonely, and in my teens when I was very depressive I was lonely surrounded in a crowd of friends and we did not have Smartphones or PCs at home back then.

this is perfect! i am so glad to hear you a not feeling lonely and that you happen to use your time IRL to talk to those you love. ❤️ ^^

6 hours ago, Cali Souther said:

Iggy,

I appreciate that you shared something really personal.  We hear a lot about this now days - how everyone is hypnotized by their phones / computers / consoles / gaming ... etc.

I tend to agree,  that if you spend too much time in a "virtual life",  on your phone,  tuned into social media, etc.,  you can isolate yourself and become very lonely in the "real world".

All things are about balance -  too much of a good thing isn't good.     I like to unplug and go camping,  away from the noise pollution of suburban life.   It helps me recharge and when I get back and login to SL or watch a video on Tik Tok etc.,   I just enjoy it for what it is - entertainment.  

I also agree with Maryanne ~  especially in SL,  you can use technology to express your creativity and that's very healthy - as long as you don't tie it into social media and a popularity contest.

Best wishes to you :)

i appreciate the reply. thank you so much for giving me the best wishes, i hope you are doing well. balance in life is a great thing! ^^

4 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I feel a bit the opposite…I would have gone crackers over the past two years if I hadn’t been able to Zoom family and friends, watch DJ sets on Twitch, work remotely, watch language tutorials and keep up to date with Covid developments around the world...and we had a local London Covid support group on Whatsapp... loved it when that Italian town sang to each other through their windows when they went into lockdown :x  I wouldn't have known that happened without technology…

But I also love being offline and going to the park, or getting lost in a book…😎 

hell yeah! that's awesome. being online and offline are great. ^^

----

thank you to everyone who has replied. you are all amazing people. ❤️

Edited by Iggy UwU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 798 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.