Born On Date

Mayu Kozlov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1. No - Your account's "born on" date is hard coded as when you created your account
    1. Exception is the Forum - Most have varied dates owing to changes in the software and none of us have our actual Forum join dates anymore
  2. Why would you want to?

Mind, I am aware that a few younger accounts might want to do such to circumvent a few security measures ....

11 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

They should hide them though. I would love it so much. But then what would oldbies even talk about?

I'm not sure what purpose they serve, really. Legacy names are generally sufficient to give one some idea of how old an account is anyway.

I do, I think, wish that LL would find some way to disable the use of avatar age to restrict entry into parcels, though. I understand the point, but I can't believe it's really very effective as a deterrent to griefers, and it is a lousy introduction to SL to new residents to find themselves unable to get into half the sims on the grid.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

it's like hiding online status in SL, the backend and LSL scripts around SL rely on the information.  it's not going to happen as nobody wants broken content.

Out of curiosity, how and why? Other than enabling sim / parcel owners to restrict access by age?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Out of curiosity, how and why? Other than enabling sim / parcel owners to restrict access by age?

i don't see a problem in restricting access, (thats a different discussion) but don't see the need to have it visible in the public profile (same as payment info)

• Like 3

For the curious: just check out the OP's SL birth date and (alleged) RL age as mentioned in her 1st Life profile. For the math to check out, I'd want to change my SL birth date too, because, according to these two data points, she would have been 7 years old when she first joined SL. O.o

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

odd mean spirited comment, like Arduenns

Everyone was wondering why and everyone was just speculating. Since everyone was so curious, I was too, did the math and exposed potential deceptive motive for changing a birth date. What's so odd and mean about that? It's all public data. Everyone could have come to the same and utterly reasonable conclusion.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 12

I love being able to look at people's profiles and see their rez date, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over this feature becoming non-visible to the public. We have the ability to actually write our rez dates on our profiles if we want other people to know this information, just like on FB we can choose not to make our real life birthday public.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StarlanderGoods said:

People aproach you differently depending on your rezz date.

And you also get the odd mean spirited comment, like Arduenns

5 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Everyone was wondering why and everyone was just speculating. Since everyone was so curious, I was too, did the math and exposed potential deceptive motive for changing a birth date. What's so odd and mean about that? It's all public data. Everyone could have come to the same and utterly reasonable conclusion.

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Arduenn's comment is not mean, it is typically straightforward Dutch.
And funny.

I thought Starlander was joking, saying tongue-in-cheek that Arduenn was being mean. I saw no meanness.

(Mainly based on the fact that no one has ever treated me negatively because of my rez date, not when I was newbie, and not as an oldbie.)

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

My ancient rez date gives newbies the excuse to say "Oh, you're so OLD! lololol".  Would I deprive them of that pleasure? :) 

Oh great ancient one, enlighten us with your knowledge and wisdom. 😆

I'm always facinated when I meet people who've been around a lot longer than me, I learn so much from then about how things used to be back in the day and how different the world was. 

I guess that applies for both worlds. 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

As I recall, some content creators used to (maybe still do) offer free starter packs to avatars under 30 days old, and removing the DATA_BORN flag from llRequestAgentData would certainly break that, just as it would break automatic rez-day cards and the like (which you give your friend before their rez-day and then the cards open on the appropriate data and give your friend a gift).

That's two uses for the flag I can think of offhand, but more to the point, LL just isn't going to remove some long-standing functionality like that and hope nothing too much breaks -- that's not how they operate, and it's not going to happen.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm not sure what purpose they serve, really. Legacy names are generally sufficient to give one some idea of how old an account is anyway.

I do, I think, wish that LL would find some way to disable the use of avatar age to restrict entry into parcels, though. I understand the point, but I can't believe it's really very effective as a deterrent to griefers, and it is a lousy introduction to SL to new residents to find themselves unable to get into half the sims on the grid.

It prevents brand new alts of griefers from being able to access. The lousy introduction should be blamed on the griefers, the ones who are the reason for that feature being implemented. Half the sims? Shirley you exaggerate!

Edit: Also, how would anyone know when to celebrate your SL birthday? Who wants to have to go around reminding everyone? People gripe about this kind of thing in RL every day, yet you guys WANT it in SL? YOU'RE ALL NUTZ!

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's exactly what I thought when I looked.  Math is math.

I disagree, your initial answer was perfect to the question: No. End of story. @Arduenn Schwartzman went out of his way to dig for a motivation for the question and then invited everyone to go look beyond the forum to question her stated r/l age. That to me wasn't typical Dutch bluntness, but judgementalism and likely will devolve into another trolling thread if the OP decides to respond.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

In this case, based on OP's profile, while she might have joined before the proper age for doing so, it is also very apparent that she wants to convince folks that she is much younger than she likely is in RL.

We have enough deception in things online and in SL.  I see no reason to make it all easier.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.